camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > GPS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-4 View Post
Hi Steve ( g3xpert)

Can you tell me if the 375 Transponder have dual diversity?? With the upcoming Canadian ADS-B mandate which will be Space based we might have to install 2 antennas ( Top and Bottom ) and I'll like to know if the 375 will fit the bill??

Thanks

Bruno
rv4@videotron.ca
Hello Bruno,

As Brian said, the GNX 375 is not a dual diversity unit.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:42 PM

Default GNX-375 TXPR

'' the GNX 375 is not a dual diversity unit''

Well that's a bummer.... But I'm wondering if with only an antenna at the bottom if the unit could still receive the signal coming from the satellites..

I guess I'll have to wait and see what exactly they come up with..

Thanks Guys

Bruno
Old 05-12-2019, 08:48 PM

The only diversity units in GA I'm aware of are the GTX330D and the L3 NGT9000-D.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1700+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 05-12-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
The only diversity units in GA I'm aware of are the GTX330D and the L3 NGT9000-D.
Hi Walt,

We also have diversity versions of the GTX 335/345 panel and remote mount transponders designated GTX 335D/335DR/345D/345DR.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-4 View Post
Hi Steve ( g3xpert)

Can you tell me if the 375 Transponder have dual diversity?? With the upcoming Canadian ADS-B mandate which will be Space based we might have to install 2 antennas ( Top and Bottom ) and I'll like to know if the 375 will fit the bill??

Thanks

Bruno
rv4@videotron.ca
Bruno - from all sources I've contacted, there currently appears to be no plan for an ADSB mandate for GA aircraft in Canada. I think even Nav Canada is smart enough to realize that pushing a Diversity transponder mandate would kill off about 90% of our training fleet and would close down the pilot pipeline to Nav Canada's real customer, the airlines.

With that having been said, there appears to be some research being done into the efficacy of belly-mounted ADSB antennas being monitored by Aerion satellites.

If you were building a larger aircraft it might be worthwhile to keep your options open for Diversity. For our little aircraft this seems like a non-starter, at least for the time being.

With respect to signal coming from the satellite, in reality it's more a question of the signal being emitted by our aircraft. The satellites are not interrogating aircraft transponders like a ground-based Secondary Surveillance Radar. Instead they are listening for the Extended Squitter data coming from Mode S/ES transponders. (UAT units have no role to play in this scenario.)

Early in the ADSB game I looked at the options for ADSB compliance for our aircraft to fly into the USA. Given that UAT is used only by the USA and Canada tends to be more standards-based, it seemed that 1090 S/ES was the best way to go. Now that Aerion has formally launched their position reporting service as a potential extension of SAR services, I'm glad I went 1090 S/ES as Aerion may be able to provide the breadcrumb trail of my last flight.

Last edited by Canadian_JOY : 05-15-2019 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 05-27-2019, 09:54 PM

Default Slant Golf

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...e0&oe=5D8DFEF4
A&P/IA Rotax iRMT 9 Series Maintenance
EAA Technical Counselor
RV12 Flying.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:11 PM

Default Dynon settings

Waterboy2110,

What are you Dynon and GPS 175 settings?

Brian
Old 05-28-2019, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdtofly View Post
Waterboy2110,

What are you Dynon and GPS 175 settings?

Brian
I used the SkyView ARINC as a guide but the GPS 175 didn't have either of the options that the doc described for the 4xx/5xx or the 6xx/7xx for TX to the SkyView. RX is straight forward.

The GPS 175 offers GAMA format 1 and GAMA format 3 - Both work in high speed (never tried low speed). I would expect that GAMA format 1 would be best per some conversations I've had with Steve but it all seems to work - half up / half left.

There was one problem I ran into that I created myself. While configuring the communication I hadn't loaded the DB's yet and was moving back and forth looking for labels (data descriptors in ARINC) between the boxes. I could see the GPS reading data but not the Dynon. This is available on both boxes in the setups. I double checked my wiring (no problems) and loaded the 175's DB's. Once the GPS rebooted everything came to life. They seem very happy together.

Shout out to Steve for chatting on the holiday.
A&P/IA Rotax iRMT 9 Series Maintenance
EAA Technical Counselor
RV12 Flying.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:18 PM

Thumbs up Transponder Diversity

Mark ( Canadian Joy )

Thank you for the info..I, like yourself hope that a single antenna will do the work on our RVs but the only way to be sure will be to try one and it's gonna be a while before we can do that ( 2023 as per Nav Canada/COPA update )

My plan was to install a 375 and get the whole package in one box but if I have to, I will install a GDL-82 ( already have a GDL-39-3D for the ''IN'' part) and be US 2020 compliant and see what comes up later...

I'm holding off on the 406 ELT for now until we get more info the Satellitte based ELT..

Bruno
Old 05-30-2019, 04:01 PM

Default GNC250XL replacement?

Mainly a question for the Garmin guys:
I have a GNC 250XL GPS/COM that is long past being supported. I would like to replace it with a modern unit and the GPS 175 will fit in the same slot. But I don't want to lose my 2nd COM capability. (Primary is an SL-30.) If Garmin can add a complete ADS-B compatible transponder to the back of the GPS 175, then
Does Garmin have plans to make a 250 replacement, i.e a GPS 275 GPS/COM in this form factor?
For sure I'd buy one and I think a lot of other 250XL owners would also! Even better if it were rack compatible, slide-out/slide in!
Andy Elliott
2020 Dues Paid