Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2016, 08:28 PM

photo courtesy of Rob (Tweety) Prior.
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
S-21 wings complete
Victoria, BC (Summer)
Chandler, Az (Winter)

Last edited by vlittle : 01-24-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logansc View Post
Pierre: My "N" number is both from my past and an attempt at brevity. I flew combat in VMFA-115 as a Marine First Lieutenant.
Beautiful Rocket....

Lee, your stint in VMFA-115 didn't happen to be 68'-69' in F-4's did it?

Gary
VMFA-334 68'-69' DaNang and Chu Lai
Gary Palinkas - Gman.... VAF #161
Venice, Fl
RV-6 "Sassy" Flying 400 hrs since Oct 2011
Lycoming 0-360 A1A, FP Sensenich Prop
SARL #19 .... Van's Calendar March 2015
Although exempt several ways, =VAF= Dues paid to support this awesome site/family
Old 01-24-2016, 10:37 PM

Default Post Rocket - Current RV8

Old 01-24-2016, 10:57 PM

We're getting some nice pictures in this thread. There are some very good looking Rockets out there! Vern: What can you tell me about C-VGRL? I don't have anything on it on the list. It's spectacular!

Gary P: Not quite, I was in Chu Lai and Danang in VMFA-122 and then VMFA-115 in F-4's in '70 and '71. Things moved pretty fast for all of us back then! I left Vietnam at the end of my combat tour, still a 1st Lt and with only 750 hours of flight time including flight school! Two thirds of my total flight time was in F-4B's. Seemed kind of wild and wooly a lot of the time! Loved every minute of it.

Lee...
F1 Rocket #160 flying

Last edited by logansc : 01-24-2016 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:

Gary P: Not quite, I was in Chu Lai and Danang in VMFA-122 and then VMFA-115 in F-4's in '70 and '71. Things moved pretty fast for all of us back then! I left Vietnam at the end of my combat tour, still a 1st Lt and with only 750 hours of flight time including flight school! Two thirds of my total flight time was in F-4B's. Seemed kind of wild and wooly a lot of the time! Loved every minute of it.

Lee...
Just missed you then. In Sept 69' we rotated to Iwakuni to fly 24 hr air support when the USS Pueblo was captured off N Korea. Wild and wooly maybe, I wish I remembered it.
Gary Palinkas - Gman.... VAF #161
Venice, Fl
RV-6 "Sassy" Flying 400 hrs since Oct 2011
Lycoming 0-360 A1A, FP Sensenich Prop
SARL #19 .... Van's Calendar March 2015
Although exempt several ways, =VAF= Dues paid to support this awesome site/family
Old 01-25-2016, 12:19 AM

Quote:
We're getting some nice pictures in this thread. There are some very good looking Rockets out there! Vern: What can you tell me about C-VGRL? I don't have anything on it on the list. It's spectacular!

Lee...
C-GVRL is an HR-II with some F1 parts. 2013 first flight, dual SkyView, Night VFR, six custom designed avionics modules including auto-trim (predates Dynon's). Oregon Aero interior, half-inverted oil, inverted fuel, canopy ejector, oversize tires, many aerodynamic tweaks, IO540 with one Electroair, O2, iPad, jacuzzi. HOTAS.

RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
S-21 wings complete
Victoria, BC (Summer)
Chandler, Az (Winter)
Old 01-25-2016, 07:10 AM

Here is a picture of my second HRII, finished in 2001

Here is a picture of my next Rocket, a F1 with the blue Rocket. This picture take on my farm strip.

F1 built for Bill Kehn, windsor ontario, in 2008, with my EVO in the background

This F1 was built by Wayne Hadath, Waterloo, Ontario in 2005? He still flies it regularly and has been in the SARL race circuit for many years
The picture was taken in Jackson Tennessee, just after landing. The controller had a thick accent, and a speech impediment. It made for an interesting conversation!

And here is my current aircraft an EVO F1. This picture was taken in 2007? at the first SARL race in Taylor Texas. It is not a great picture but the only flying pic that I have.
I now have 936 hours on this plane. I have never owned a plane this long and can not imagine flying anything other then the EVO wing!

2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com

Last edited by Tom Martin : 01-25-2016 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:29 AM

Vern: Thanks for the input. I finally woke up and checked out your build website. Sure wish it had been up and running when I was building mine! Your airplane shows a very high build and craftsmanship standard.

Randy: Another Pflanzer built Rocket in this crazy world would definitely NOT be a bad thing. Please let us know if you start another project; your build site is still one that most others are judged by. I just drooled over your airplane when I was building mine. Your Cobra was very cool too!

Tom P: You seem to have quite an eye for paint schemes! Beautiful airplanes...that "shark infested" RV-8 is a show stopper!

Tom M: I was wondering when you'd check in! For anyone contemplating building a Rocket (especially an F1), there probably isn't anyone (other than Mark?) who knows more about building one correctly. No one has made one go faster either---Tom still holds the Rocket speed record, I believe. Well, except maybe for that one interesting test flight in mine in a dive passing 12,500' when I miscalculated my target indicated airspeed...!

Gary: Thanks for your service. Sorry I missed you...we all had some great adventures over there. Semper Fi...

Lee...
F1 Rocket #160 flying

Last edited by logansc : 01-25-2016 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:35 PM

New FBO at Bakersfield Muni L45 home of the Rocket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CB5C819B-0B81-445C-908F-E0013051E643.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	909  Click image for larger version

Name:	7A4F18E2-762E-4077-94E1-600F0C6E6B7D.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	452.3 KB
ID:	910  

Last edited by mark manda : 08-05-2020 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Added a Taylor,TX panel picture
Old 08-06-2020, 12:51 AM

Default Rocket canopy on RV-8

How difficult would you expect to take a Showplanes fastback canopy frame, but still use the front rollbar and do a fixed flat wrap front windshield? I love the look of the fastback and the look of the flat wrap front windscreen, and I would love to combine that on my -8

Wings Started.. 11-2020