What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT EIS6000 lost settings

SMO

Well Known Member
Friend
I have a GRT EIS6000 located behind my panel. It is connected via a serial port to a VP-200 which is used to display the engine parameters produced by the EIS.

The other day I went to go up for a flight and the engine parameters would not display. At first I thought it might be a VP problem, but the more I thought about it, it seemed there was a connection issue between the EIS and the VP.

I removed the boot cowl (everyone should have one of these) to get behind the panel and reset the connections to see if that would help. While there, with the EIS turned on, I noticed the page on the EIS display was not the normal page. So I advanced the page and Bingo!, the VP displayed the data.

So what happened? Well the EIS allows you to set a default page and this setting somehow got changed from "Page 3" to "Page 0". I reset the default to "Page 3" and the serial connection now works again upon startup of the EIS.

Upon firing up the engine it was obvious that the fuel flow was not working. Off with the boot cowl again and found the "FloCal" setting on the EIS had also magically reset itself to "0". It should have been "188". I checked the other settings, particularly the fuel tank settings but they were still okay.

I talked to GRT Support and was told he had never heard of this before.

Question: Has anyone else experienced their GRT EIS losing settings, and if so did you find a cause?

i am not a GRT EFIS guru, but it sounds like an internal "keep alive" battery has failed or is weak -- any GRT experts out there know of an internal battery in the main GRT processing unit?

Back