What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fly LED wire size question

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Hey guys-

I understand how to use the wire sizing chart in 43.13, but I need a little clarity about the wires running to the Fly Led strobes.

I see that the wire diagram calls for a 20 gauge wire from the bus to the controller for the strobes, and 18-22 gauge from the controller to the wingtips & tail.

Assuming the controller is in the sub panel or under the seat somewhere, that's about a 12-15' run to the tail & wingtips. Are most people running 20 gauge from the controller on to the lights or stepping up to 18? I see that the pre-made wire loom from FlyLed specifically calls out 22 gauge which seems awfully small and is making me question if I'm missing something.

Unlike some designs,FlyLED simply uses a series resistor to limit current flow thru the LED. The wire resistance will appear in series with that built in resistor, and make negligible difference. The only concern is not melting the wire, and for that, 22 gauge is fine. Note the controller uses heavier wire, because there a voltage drop would/could affect the circuitry timing, etc.

Hi Terry
Bob got in before me and is correct!
LEDs are current driven devices. The difference in resistance between 18 and 22 AWG wire is negligible when compared to the size of the resistors on the back of the light boards.
22 AWG works perfectly, as does 18 AWG if you were upgrading an old xenon strobe system. It still hurts to look at the lights either way!

For the input power wires 20 AWG fits straight into typical crimp pins. If you want to use 18AWG just peel out and cut away a few strands of wire and it will fit into the pins.

Thanks guys- I have some 20g shielded wire laying around that will fit the bill Now that I know I don't have to scrounge something heavier.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Terry

Back