Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-10-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafa View Post
Very similar to Sam, I built and fitted everything in the garage, took it to the paint shop and from paint shop directly and for the first time to the hanger. My first flight was approximately two weeks later.
Building in the garage is one way to cut that 5+ years to a far shorter time. My first one took 11 months to build and second one is hoping to be done in 12 months pending back order parts.

Good luck with your build.
Same here. I did everything plus paint in the garage. I assembled the 6A on the ramp in about 2 weeks. Wings went on the first day, so securing wasn't an issue. The 10 I did in a hanger (winter) and about 1 month to first flight.

I did wing fitting on the driveway to help with prep and then disassembled.

I did not want the hassle of having to go to the airport to work on the build.
Larry
Old 08-10-2021, 04:01 PM

I did the final assembly of my 6A on the ramp at BTR in Baton Rouge. My FBO owner was a warbird rebuilder and very sympathetic. He would open the gate allowing me to drive through with my trailered plane components. I continue to store and maintain my plane on the ramp. When they closed my FBO, I jumped through a few hoops and got an ID that allows me to drive through the keypad operated gate with my truck. I triple cover my canopy and carry an RV generator for electricity. I'm parked in a public area with 0 rent. After almost 9 years I've been fortunate. The amount I've saved in hanger rent is close to what I spent building the plane. John

Last edited by jpowell13 : 08-10-2021 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-10-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakersc063 View Post
How frowned upon by airports is it if you can't get a hangar and want to hang the wings on the ramp?
Most city-owned airports frown on any significant work on the ramp. Some are worse than others with their lawyers, insurance companies etc. but I don't think most go out of their way to catch you bending the rules a bit as long as you're discreet. Bolting the wings onto an RV-14 with a helper or two is fast and simple as long as you prepare well, probably less than an hour, and if you do it on a quiet Sunday evening..... :-)
Old 08-10-2021, 10:50 PM

Check out the rules. Our local airport recently cracked down on guys renting hangars for non-aviation uses. This included storing abandoned kit planes and damaged aircraft. Basically management only wanted airworthy aircraft in the hangars. There was no issue for a few months of final assembly of a kit with the end in sight. Because the waiting list was years long, most of us renters agreed with freeing up hangars for flying airplanes.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Rohrer View Post
...There was no issue for a few months of final assembly of a kit with the end in sight. Because the waiting list was years long, most of us renters agreed with freeing up hangars for flying airplanes.
Again timing may be a b*tch. What are the odds that after being on the waiting list for years and spending as many years building your plane that the final assembly and the hanger offer will happen within a few months of each other?

Our local airport has a cover area designated for maintenance activities. I guess that can be an option for me when final assembly comes.

-c
Old 08-22-2021, 11:12 AM

Default That brings up another question.

That would totally suck if you finished the plane and it sat in your garage for 3 years or more before hangar space became available. Ughhh

I can see the Classified Ad now…98% completed airplane for sale. Can't find hangar space.

Last edited by rv7boy : 08-23-2021 at 12:14 AM. Reason: The lunch truck in Doug’s driveway again…
Old 08-22-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
Same here. I did everything plus paint in the garage. I assembled the 6A on the ramp in about 2 weeks. Wings went on the first day, so securing wasn't an issue. The 10 I did in a hanger (winter) and about 1 month to first flight.

I did wing fitting on the driveway to help with prep and then disassembled.

I did not want the hassle of having to go to the airport to work on the build.
Larry
Same here built the plane in the garage, trial fitted and rigged the wings one at a time in the garage and then both wings in the driveway, used store bolts and saved the close tolerance bolts for final assembly at airport. Built mine over 5 years largely working weekends due to work travel most weeks. Hangar was a 45 min drive so not easy to just "pop" over to work on the RV, but did have a hangar that could fit my Pacer and the RV. Finished the RV about a month after moving it to the hangar. The advantage of the garage was the ability to do something however small every time you went out there and the motivation of seeing the project take shape every time I went through the garage to drive somewhere.
Figs