camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjarrell View Post
Thanks Scott and Bob;

And therein lies the problem.... yes, you can "adjust" the standard Van's tips AND the Aveo standard "non-winglet" tips as there is enough give that you can adjust them. The issue with the Aveo winglet tips is that they're over twice as thick and MUCH more rigid so they can't be flexed to adjust to the angle of the ailerons.

As far as I can tell (someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong) we're the first installers to actually fit the RV-10 or RV-14 Aveo WINGLET tips. IMO these pictures show beyond any shadow of a doubt there's a definite issue with the fitment of the Aveo winglet wing tips to the RV-10 or RV-14.
Steve,

I haven't touched my -10 wingtips yet. If you want to compare them to your zip tips I can bring one over.

Side note: that W-00026 jig seems nice. I wonder if it would work on the -10? I like that approach a lot better than the "align the aileron to the flap and clamp in place".
Old 08-11-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoby View Post
Steve,

I haven't touched my -10 wingtips yet. If you want to compare them to your zip tips I can bring one over.

Side note: that W-00026 jig seems nice. I wonder if it would work on the -10? I like that approach a lot better than the "align the aileron to the flap and clamp in place".
Thanks very much for the offer, but that won't be necessary. Given that we've verified that we're using the right alignment bracket, and that it's installed properly it's obvious that there is a molding issue with the Aveo WINGLET ZipTips.

I emphasize "Winglet" because they are approximately twice as thick as the regular ZipTips (which Rodney has already installed two separate pairs) or the standard Van's tips, and these can't be flexed and adjusted. Rodney took one measurement (I'm not sure exactly where) and the regular ZipTip was .0635" thick, and the new Winglet ZipTip was .13 in the same location.

And no, according to Van's support this alignment bracket isn't available for the RV-10 as its ailerons are supposed to be aligned in a different manner. However, if you look back in the previous pictures in this thread you'll see where Rodney did take one of his RV-10 regular ZipTips off and install the W-00026 bracket and it just so happens that it aligns perfectly with his ailerons. Look for the blue wing... that's his RV-10 "Liberty".

Thanks again!
Dues Paid - Gladly!
Old 08-11-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks very much for the offer, but that won't be necessary. Given that we've verified that we're using the right alignment bracket, and that it's installed properly it's obvious that there is a molding issue with the Aveo WINGLET ZipTips.

I emphasize "Winglet" because they are approximately twice as thick as the regular ZipTips (which Rodney has already installed two separate pairs) or the standard Van's tips, and these can't be flexed and adjusted. Rodney took one measurement (I'm not sure exactly where) and the regular ZipTip was .0635" thick, and the new Winglet ZipTip was .13 in the same location.

And no, according to Van's support this alignment bracket isn't available for the RV-10 as its ailerons are supposed to be aligned in a different manner. However, if you look back in the previous pictures in this thread you'll see where Rodney did take one of his RV-10 regular ZipTips off and install the W-00026 bracket and it just so happens that it aligns perfectly with his ailerons. Look for the blue wing... that's his RV-10 "Liberty".

Thanks again!
Yeah on the 10 you align the ailerons to the flaps. And looking through this thread the 14 is aligned in reflex.. which is where (I assume) the flaps rest on the 10. Given the shared parts between the two models (ribs, ailerons, wing tips) I'm curious if/what difference there is in the setups and how the winglet zip tips are off this much along with why the alignment bracket can't be used on the 10.

If we ever have an EAA meeting again maybe I can take a tracing of your alignment bracket?
Old 08-11-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoby View Post
Yeah on the 10 you align the ailerons to the flaps. And looking through this thread the 14 is aligned in reflex.. which is where (I assume) the flaps rest on the 10. Given the shared parts between the two models (ribs, ailerons, wing tips) I'm curious if/what difference there is in the setups and how the winglet zip tips are off this much along with why the alignment bracket can't be used on the 10.
Good question. I don't know. I do know when Rodney was researching this and talked to Van's support they said the end of the wing and the ailerons are exactly the same on the 10 and the 14, but the flaps were a different size. Perhaps that's why the ailerons have to be adjusted differently. However, as you can see from the picture that I posted previously (copy below) at least on Rodney's 10 the 14 alignment bracket lines up perfectly.

Quote:
If we ever have an EAA meeting again maybe I can take a tracing of your alignment bracket?
The plane and bracket are in Arizona, however I just looked and you can order one from Van's for $11.80! Click here. According to Van's support the W-00026 alignment bracket shown in the photo above is the newer bracket, and you can tell because it has a singular hole positioned between the large hole and the trailing edge.
Dues Paid - Gladly!

Last edited by sjarrell : 08-11-2020 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:

The plane and bracket are in Arizona, however I just looked and you can order one from Van's for $11.80! Click here. According to Van's support the W-00026 alignment bracket shown in the photo above is the newer bracket, and you can tell because it has a singular hole positioned between the large hole and the trailing edge.
Oh. Ha. I thought you were having the same issue!

Yeah I saw that the bracket is available to purchase. Iíve slowed down a bit to wait for the fuselage update for final drilled holes. If they post the instruction updates for that on the site Iíll see if the alignment bracket gets added. It sure would be nice to eliminate one variable.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:34 PM

Has there been any resolution to this issue yet?

-14 Wing Kit started
-14 Emp Kit started
Customer #140068
Old 11-30-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -135Driver View Post
Has there been any resolution to this issue yet?
Damien hasn't notified us if it has been, so not to my knowledge.
Dues Paid - Gladly!
Old 11-30-2020, 03:07 PM

Ok. Thank you. I’ll keep an eye out here to see what the answer is when you get a response from Damien.

-14 Wing Kit started
-14 Emp Kit started
Customer #140068
Old 11-30-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -135Driver View Post
Ok. Thank you. Iíll keep an eye out here to see what the answer is when you get a response from Damien.
If you're interested in the winglets and / or the resolution to this issue I'd suggest that you contact Damien directly at 386-225-4779 or damien@aveoengineering.com.
Dues Paid - Gladly!
Old 06-27-2021, 05:54 AM

any updates? I've just stumbled upon this thread while looking at the ZipTip Winglets for my -10 build. I'm curious as to the conclusion of this mystery.

Bob