- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-06-2021, 04:05 PM

Default Elevator Close Out Tab Bending

How important is it that the elevator close out tabs be bent exatly 1/32 over the bend line. As you can see in the pictures, it is closer to 1/16 in on the trailing edge. When looked at from the bottom of the skin, there is also a bit or waviness. Is this a redo? The top one is not much better.

https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojen...&listcat=&sid=
Old 09-06-2021, 08:29 PM

Did this yesterday. I sure as **** hope that it's not that critical, because I'm in the same boat.

I've got to think that if it was that critical it'd have been done at the factory, or the bend line would be marked at the factory to be certain it's within tolerance.

Somehow I can't find my piano hinge - which is going to delay my progress for a bit - but I'm pretty happy with how this section is coming together (so far).
Old 09-07-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV701775 View Post
How important is it that the elevator close out tabs be bent exatly 1/32 over the bend line. As you can see in the pictures, it is closer to 1/16 in on the trailing edge. When looked at from the bottom of the skin, there is also a bit or waviness. Is this a redo? The top one is not much better.

https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojen...&listcat=&sid=
I've seen some builder logs where dudes just cut that off and fabricate a rib to close it out. The closeout doesn't touch the trim tab so I'm happy how mine came out.
Old 09-07-2021, 11:28 AM

Is that top or bottom skin? The bottom skin tab/fold nests inside the top skin tab/fold, so if it's the bottom skin, you may be able to get away with it as is. If it's the top skin, you'll kinda have to decide what's acceptable - I doubt this would fail an airworthiness inspection, though I'm in no way qualified to make that call.

For different reasons, I redid my trim tab recently, and it's one of the cheaper fixes to do, in all the categories: time, parts and shipping.

The "make a rib to close it out" is also an interesting idea.