Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2021, 10:21 AM

Is there a reason not to go with the light kits offered with the wing kits from Van's? It seems nice to get the mounting brackets etc. If you go with a different light setup, what do you do about the mounting system? Has anyone installed "The works" by fly LED? Having all of the lighting in the wing tip is appealing except that I'm concerned there might be considerable shadow cast at the center of the aircraft during taxi.

First time builder!
Old 09-01-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin_96 View Post
Is there a reason not to go with the light kits offered with the wing kits from Van's? It seems nice to get the mounting brackets etc. If you go with a different light setup, what do you do about the mounting system? Has anyone installed "The works" by fly LED? Having all of the lighting in the wing tip is appealing except that I'm concerned there might be considerable shadow cast at the center of the aircraft during taxi.

First time builder!
I've soldered up several "Works" kits for Blake at www.flyboyaccessories.com It's a great kit and works very well. Order them from Blake, or Paul. Same great product!
1-888-F1AIRCRAFT (1-888-312-4727)
www.flyboyaccessories.com
RV and Rocket Accessories, Tailwheels, Tools, & More
1-888-8FLYBOY (1-888-835-9269)

F4 Raider - under construction
F1-H Rocket "Crazy Horse" - sold
RV-4 "Chief Pontiac" - sold in 1994, purchased in 2018
Old 09-01-2021, 10:29 AM

Default Lights

I did The Works kit. I had Van's make my outboard wing skins without the landing light cutouts.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET14 View Post
I did The Works kit. I had Van's make my outboard wing skins without the landing light cutouts.
Do you notice much of a shadow directly ahead of the airplane during taxi?
Old 09-01-2021, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin_96 View Post
Do you notice much of a shadow directly ahead of the airplane during taxi?
Hi Dustin
The Works kit works very well in the larger wingtip light bay of the RV-7/8, but with other models including the -14 you will get some shadowing directly in front of the plane. However there's a bunch of light coming from the lights so it may not matter! An example from an RV-9 customer (thanks Mark!), which has the smallest light bay in the family:
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV9 Works Sml.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	15320

The -14 comes with those lovely big light bays in the leading edges. It would be a shame not to fill them with our Combo or Quad spotlights, or for the best of the best, our Seven Stars lights. You have room for even more light that way, and the beam spreads much more evenly in front of the aircraft.
These lights can be attached directly to the W-00017 brackets supplied in the standard wing kit.
Note the spill patterns of the position lights and the landing lights on the concrete:
Click image for larger version

Name:	! Andrews crop 1 Med.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	15321

Please click on the Flyleds logo to view our range!

Last edited by Paul from Flyleds : 09-01-2021 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul from Flyleds View Post
Hi Dustin
The Works kit works very well in the larger wingtip light bay of the RV-7/8, but with other models including the -14 you will get some shadowing directly in front of the plane. However there's a bunch of light coming from the lights so it may not matter! An example from an RV-9 customer (thanks Mark!), which has the smallest light bay in the family:
Attachment 15320

The -14 comes with those lovely big light bays in the leading edges. It would be a shame not to fill them with our Combo or Quad spotlights, or for the best of the best, our Seven Stars lights. You have room for even more light that way, and the beam spreads much more evenly in front of the aircraft.
These lights can be attached directly to the W-00017 brackets supplied in the standard wing kit.
Note the spill patterns of the position lights and the landing lights on the concrete:
Attachment 15321

Please click on the Flyleds logo to view our range!
Thank you Paul! I appreciate the feedback.