VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

  #21  
Old 04-08-2019, 09:05 AM
Carl Froehlich's Avatar
Carl Froehlich Carl Froehlich is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dogwood Airpark (VA42)
Posts: 3,735
Default

To the orginal question, these are examples of FBOs who dislike RVs:
- No maintenance allowed in your hangar.
- No air compressor allowed in your hangar.
- No storage of stuff in your hangar - like oil, parts, etc.
- No refrigerator or chairs (don?t want to promote anyone spending time in the hangar).
- Even if your hangar can hold two RVs, this is not allowed unless both RV owners pay full rent. The objective is obvious, they want people to rent another hangar BUT this was at an airport with a multi-year hangar waiting list.
- Only flying airplanes allowed in the hangar.

Carefully read the hangar lease before you commit.

I?m lucky - I left one of these FBOs (and all the associated battles) to live the dream at Dogwood Airpark (VA42).

Carl
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-08-2019, 09:13 AM
rag rag is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Holmen, WI
Posts: 60
Default

My wife and I have crossed this great country more than once in our RV4 and have never had a bad experience, most were great experiences. I believe in being considerate and polite, and treating others as I would like to be treated. It makes a big difference - most people will reciprocate. These RV?s have a very wide flight envelope, they fly very slow very well. Practice and use all the plane?s capibilities. We are a smalll community and what we do as individuals reflect on everyone in the community. Remember we were all student pilots at one time and most of us continue to be ?students of piloting?.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-08-2019, 09:16 AM
rvbuilder2002's Avatar
rvbuilder2002 rvbuilder2002 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hubbard Oregon
Posts: 9,836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot135pd View Post
That was a nice stable landing and that's what I strive for and teach for the majority of landings, of course adjusting for short fields, obstacles, etc. as needed.
Hopefully if you are teaching RV pilots to land "A" models, you aren't teaching them to land flat (3 point).
__________________
Opinions, information and comments are my own unless stated otherwise. They do not necessarily represent the direction/opinions of my employer.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-08-2019, 09:20 AM
Pilot135pd's Avatar
Pilot135pd Pilot135pd is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Vaca Moo Airport - TA37 in East TEXAS
Posts: 1,682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Hopefully if you are teaching RV pilots to land "A" models, you aren't teaching them to land flat (3 point).
You're correct, it was a spelling mistake. Notice I was talking about the approach. I mistakenly typed "landing" when the first one should have been "approach". As you can see I used the word landing at the end of the sentence meaning the entire sequence of events. A stabilized approach works for A models and any models. I've corrected it in the original post, thanks.
__________________
Sadly sold my RV-8 however still trying to enjoy life by living on my airport with FREE campsites & facilities for ALL visiting pilots to enjoy www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ & flying my OnSpeed equipped C-177 while waiting for my next experimental plane !

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.

Last edited by Pilot135pd : 04-08-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-08-2019, 09:32 AM
sandifer sandifer is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtac View Post
I have gotten comments from slow movers with students before, airborne. Irritated me, I was fully aware of them and adjusted my pattern. It does bother me when slower folks flying deep patterns get irritated with me cutting in line when I can take off and land 3 times when they are on final. I don’t do anything stupid or cause them delay; I guess it is the perception of delay or ignorance.
I dealt with this all the time in the Pitts at my old airport with students (and private pilots) going round and round the pattern all day long in trainers. Most of them were prone to the extended downwind, 1+ mile final syndrome. I wouldn't turn inside them if they were on final, but if I was behind them on downwind, I'd simply communicate to them where I was, what I was doing, that I had them in sight, and that I'd be out of their way no factor. Then I'd turn base to final inside them and be clear of the runway and halfway taxied to my hangar before they turned final. They never even saw me. Most were cool with this. Others required a little time to understand the capabilities of the Pitts and that I was being considerate and working well within the general flow of traffic.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-08-2019, 09:37 AM
Low Pass's Avatar
Low Pass Low Pass is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot135pd View Post
Although not unfriendly airport but unfriendly comments about RVs at some airports in the Houston area. I recently heard a group of slow big tire pilots complaining in general about RV pilots because they come in fast to do low approaches and cut in front of others in the pattern.

This has nothing to do with the airport itself but it does remind us just because we have faster planes doesn't mean we have to fly like jerks.

I've been a victim of the slow Piper 777 doing the 3 mile base to final turn and have even done a few 360s to give him more time. It's a hassle but not a reason to give our planes a bad reputation over it.
Referencing Houston and RVs, I've been doing them 30+ and nearly 20 years, respectively. I'm sure the occasional conflicts of perspective occur, but it's rare. More often, it's the people who don't realize that climbing at 2,000 fpm is not illegal and that an overhead approach is in the AIM and can be done safely and politely with other planes around, who make the remarks.

Actually, within the last 5, 7 years I have not seen or heard anything that would be any less than very accommodating to the local training and weekend flyers. But that's south, east and north sides of town. Don't spend much time on the west side.

All it takes is a call on the radio. You can tell if someone's new and loaded up. I/we either steer completely clear of that field, or stay well clear of these people. The average, competent Piper/Cessna pilot gets a polite and clear call on the radio if we're trying to make an approach to the field in formation or permission is requested to overtake or maneuver around them. And its never done in a manner to cause them any delay or imposition. Come to think of it, I've never seen an RV pilot cut off someone in the traffic pattern around Houston.
__________________
Bryan

Houston
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-08-2019, 09:49 AM
Pilot135pd's Avatar
Pilot135pd Pilot135pd is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Vaca Moo Airport - TA37 in East TEXAS
Posts: 1,682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Pass View Post
Referencing Houston and RVs, I've been doing them 30+ and nearly 20 years, respectively. I'm sure the occasional conflicts of perspective occur, but it's rare. More often, it's the people who don't realize that climbing at 2,000 fpm is not illegal and that an overhead approach is in the AIM and can be done safely and politely with other planes around, who make the remarks.

Actually, within the last 5, 7 years I have not seen or heard anything that would be any less than very accommodating to the local training and weekend flyers. But that's south, east and north sides of town. Don't spend much time on the west side.

All it takes is a call on the radio. You can tell if someone's new and loaded up. I/we either steer completely clear of that field, or stay well clear of these people. The average, competent Piper/Cessna pilot gets a polite and clear call on the radio if we're trying to make an approach to the field in formation or permission is requested to overtake or maneuver around them. And its never done in a manner to cause them any delay or imposition. Come to think of it, I've never seen an RV pilot cut off someone in the traffic pattern around Houston.
It was a comment on one of the Houston area groups. Of course it may not be all the time or everyone who thinks the same.
__________________
Sadly sold my RV-8 however still trying to enjoy life by living on my airport with FREE campsites & facilities for ALL visiting pilots to enjoy www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ & flying my OnSpeed equipped C-177 while waiting for my next experimental plane !

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-08-2019, 10:48 AM
rvbuilder2002's Avatar
rvbuilder2002 rvbuilder2002 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hubbard Oregon
Posts: 9,836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot135pd View Post
You're correct, it was a spelling mistake. Notice I was talking about the approach. I mistakenly typed "landing" when the first one should have been "approach". As you can see I used the word landing at the end of the sentence meaning the entire sequence of events. A stabilized approach works for A models and any models. I've corrected it in the original post, thanks.
In case it wasn't clear, my comment was regarding the landing example in the video you were referencing......

Tri-gear airplane.... flat / 3 point touch down
__________________
Opinions, information and comments are my own unless stated otherwise. They do not necessarily represent the direction/opinions of my employer.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-08-2019, 11:20 AM
jpowell13 jpowell13 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 733
Default

It's amazing how few unfriendly airports there are in this country. I'm usually made to feel like a VIP wherever I go. Most linemen dream of owning a plane like an RV and show real interest.

I did feel a bit unwanted flying into Phoenix class B, but survived with a little help from approach.

As for dealing with slow traffic, I was approaching Brunswick, GA a few months ago which has a Gulfstream repair station. A beautiful example was about 15 miles out and he suggested l should go ahead and land. He was flying the same pattern and I could see he was going to catch me on my downwind so I offered to make a wide 360 and let him pass. What a treat to watch that hot rod fly his pattern at 1000' at sundown. I felt like I was in a Wright Flyer, but sometimes low and slow is just fine. John

Last edited by jpowell13 : 04-08-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-08-2019, 11:21 AM
Pilot135pd's Avatar
Pilot135pd Pilot135pd is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Vaca Moo Airport - TA37 in East TEXAS
Posts: 1,682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
In case it wasn't clear, my comment was regarding the landing example in the video you were referencing......

Tri-gear airplane.... flat / 3 point touch down
We're talking about the same video. I was saying that the stabilized approach in that video applies to any airplane (not the landing itself).
__________________
Sadly sold my RV-8 however still trying to enjoy life by living on my airport with FREE campsites & facilities for ALL visiting pilots to enjoy www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ & flying my OnSpeed equipped C-177 while waiting for my next experimental plane !

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:02 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.