Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:41 PM

Default The Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefPilot View Post
For sure, but that's not the point - the point is that people with RVs and new to IAC (but not aerobatics) are being coached to fly their plane...well, not all that differently from how Mr. Tucker flies his airshow. Maybe this was an isolated incident, but it's not the first time I've seen it happen either.
Agreed. prospective Sportsman Pilots need to seek out someone like Giles Henderson, the master of the clip wing Cub. If you have an opportunity to look at Sportsman results all the way back to the mid 70's you can see how many Pitts pilots were beaten by Giles.
Beating up the airplanes evolved from the high performance monoplanes, especially the Sukhoi, in turn the sequences in Advanced and Unlimited gradually got much tougher. Just to further clarify the Sukhoi Vne is approximately 270 statute and the airplane is very happy at 11 G.
There is absolutely no reason to exceed 4 G's in a Sportsman sequence in any RV. An above average pilot can probably make it look good at 3.5.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefPilot View Post
For sure, but that's not the point - the point is that people with RVs and new to IAC (but not aerobatics) are being coached to fly their plane...well, not all that differently from how Mr. Tucker flies his airshow. Maybe this was an isolated incident, but it's not the first time I've seen it happen either.
I don't understand the comparison to Tucker's flying. He sees 280mph speeds, +9/-7G, lots of snaps and high speed gyroscopic/shoulder roll maneuvers that twist the **** out of everything on the airplane. Sean has his airplane rebuilt after every airshow season for a reason. I've never seen an RV subjected to anything like this type of flying.

I'm not new to the sport, judging, or coaching and I can tell you that everyone has a personal style, including experienced coaches. I said beating up the airplane significantly more than recreational acro is not required and that's true. Lots of folks mess around with loops and rolls in the 3.5-4G range. It takes about 4.5G to make round looping segments. That's not much more stress on the airplane. There's no need to pull more than that doing basic Sportsman level acro in an RV.

I cannot help how others choose to coach, but folks need to realize that there is room for personal style in this sport and the goal is not to make every pilot some sort of violent robotic carbon copy of some other pilot's perceived ideal flying style. I've seen many successful flying styles in my years participating in and judging Regional contests. Pilots need to choose the flying style that works for them and that they are comfortable with and understand that thrashing the controls and pulling 6Gs is not required for an RV to post very good scores at a contest.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:06 AM

And now, side-slipping back over toward the centerline.....

The OP's question was rudder input for a roll. Good question, which generated good answers of interest to a major part of the audience. Very, very few of us will ever enter an IAC competition, no matter how generous the encouragement. However, a big segment of the fleet will do some low stress rolling. Rolls also tend to be self-taught. When done wrong they can kill, as apparently happened with at least one popular VAF contributor in recent times. So let's talk about them.

BTW, the zombie question (reviving a seven year old thread) was how to record roll rate on a G3. Anybody know?