-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-17-2016, 01:11 PM

In my case the stick is already all the way back before touchdown. Sometimes it coincides exactly with touchdown (the greaser) and other times its considerably before and I get a distinct break. In both cases it is absolutely done flying once the wheels are down.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
RV-8 - SDS CPI - SOLD
Old 11-17-2016, 06:27 PM

I find as David mentioned, that my RV8 is still flying in a three point attitude. So I also do a tail low landing and then immediately unload the wing with forward stick. Its different with a rear passenger and aft cg in which case I need more forward stick to keep from touching tail first.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:53 AM

I hesitate to write this because I am the newest newbie when it comes to flying RV-8s, but I just returned from transition training with Bruce Bohannon and all we did was three point the -8. We did a few wheelies to show me how to do them, but the vast majority of them were three pointers. The RV-8 he uses for training has a CS prop on a 180 hp engine so there's a little more weight there and he was in the back seat of course. Just another data point.
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Dynon Skyview HDX, Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Whirlwind 200RV CS Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
https://www.marksrv8.com
Old 11-18-2016, 06:04 AM

Hi David,
Don't feel bad, with a few thousand ldgs in 6's, I fought the pogo dance for a long time doing 3 pointers until finally I realized I was using to much back stick. We forget how sensitive the stick is even at slow speeds. The problem is sometimes a high sink sats up just before touch down after the flare and we are tricked in to pulling back on the stick to stop it and there you go doing the pogo dance because of the tall touching first. Occasionally to cancel the sink a slight power pump is needed, but leave the stick in the sweet spot. Also the wing unloads a little sooner with just a little bit less back stick and it stays planted provided your speed is right.
One day the sight picture will just click and you will wonder why it took so long.
IMHO it's all speed control and the right touch.
Ironicly, I have a bigger problem greasing wheel ldgs. The only way is even less back stick and a little steeper aprouch and maybe about 5 more knots. If I drag in over the fence, flat and slow, I'm already committed to a 3 pointer, that is if you want to land very short.
Both my Sube and lycoming 6's (both CS) behave the same.

Kelly Landrum

RV6 N6RP rebuilding
RV6 N9XK bought and flying
Old 11-18-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chkaharyer99 View Post
385 landings! Something to strive for...

My RV-8 is more like what you describe above, heavier because of the constant speed BA Hartzell. My battery is on the firewall and I typically fly solo with some ballast in the rear baggage compartment to even things out. Nevertheless, I find it very difficult (impossible) to 3 point at my skill level despite being taught to land that way in the factory RV-7 during transition training. When attempting 3 pt, it bounces, goes airborne and then I'm just a passenger as it decides what to do next. No thank you. I like the control I get from wheeling it on.
It may not be your skill level. RV-8s empty CG varies based on engine and prop selection, and the all important placement of the battery. This has been kick around before, but new RV-8 pilots are still arriving and discovering the same flight characteristics. Based on your description of your 8, I could have told you your 8 would behave just as you described before you flew it. I discovered the same thing back in July 2000. Now with over 1600 hours in 18 different RV-8s, I understand the airplane pretty well. Depending on where your solo CG is, you elevator authority will determine if you can get the aircraft slow enough to be stalled as the aircraft arrives three point on the runway.
With a Lycoming or clone 0360 and a Hartzel prop, your battery needed to be mounted in the back. As it is you must carry aft ballast when flying solo. Lead is a good source of weight to correct CG. I figured that if I need lead in the back to correct the CG then it should also generate 12 volts DC for me. Consider relocating your battery aft during a conditional. You can remove the ballast and enjoy a lighter, better balanced RV-8.
Christen Inverted Oil
First Flight 12 July 2000

Last edited by Danny King : 11-18-2016 at 07:05 AM.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny King View Post
It may not be your skill level. RV-8s empty CG varies based on engine and prop selection, and the all important placement of the battery. This has been kick around before, but new RV-8 pilots are still arriving and discovering the same flight characteristics. Based on your description of your 8, I could have told you your 8 would behave just as you described before you flew it. I discovered the same thing back in July 2000. Now with over 1600 hours in 18 different RV-8s, I understand the airplane pretty well. Depending on where your solo CG is, you elevator authority will determine if you can get the aircraft slow enough to be stalled as the aircraft arrives three point on the runway.
With a Lycoming or clone 0360 and a Hartzel prop, your battery needed to be mounted in the back. As it is you must carry aft ballast when flying solo. Lead is a good source of weight to correct CG. I figured that if I need lead in the back to correct the CG then it should also generate 12 volts DC for me. Consider relocating your battery aft during a conditional. You can remove the ballast and enjoy a lighter, better balanced RV-8.
Thanks Danny!
Old 11-18-2016, 07:30 AM

My landings are sooo much better with a passenger. Still can't 3-point though.
RV-4 (N684ML) completed 3-17-19
KOCH Nacogdoches
Old 12-03-2016, 02:06 PM

Default RV-8 ldgs

With 10 yrs and hundreds of ldgs, I've stuck to wheel ldgs...luv the site pix right up to tail dropping off at 40k or so. Always 3 pointed my -4 in the 90s, but see no reason to chg what has worked forever....those first attempts at 3 point were too sloppy, so moved on...do not know any of my many -8 buddies who do anything but wheel, also much nicer w/ crosswinds as you plant and don't float. As a member of 37 ship Guinness record team, we had 18 knot direct cross one day. All the tri gear guys had hands full, not so w/ wheel ldgs...usually about 70 knots just before TD.