Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-20-2021, 12:33 PM

Default RV Training

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, tried to find the proper place to post but could not find a “training section” (sorry, please bump if need be)

Anyway, last summer, after years of flying for the airlines, I got “the itch” to get back in to flying small airplanes again. All my aviation Buddies told me: *“Get an RV, Get an RV”... and after looking at, and flying a few other type of homebuilt aircraft's, that is exactly what I did.

After I bought a beautiful RV-8, my Buddies told me to go get my RV-8 training and check-out with Bruce Bohannon at his really cool place, Flying Tiger Airport in Angleton, TX and that is also exactly what I did...

After many years of flying heavy Jets, I had forgotten a lot about flying small planes. My patterns were way too wide and I was flaring way too high for Bruce’s liking...
But he got me back on track and to a point where I was comfortable with the RV-8.

Not only is Bruce a World Record “Maker & Breaker”, but he is also a Great Instructor and a Great Guy!
So if you need RV training, call him up, I promise you will have a great time at his place.*

C.

https://www.airnav.com/airport/81D
Old 03-20-2021, 06:18 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coba View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum,
Conny, welcome aboard the good ship VAF

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 03-20-2021, 07:05 PM

I agree 100% with your comments on Bruce Bohannon. He instructed me almost two years ago in his -8 before I ever purchased N184FN. I still remember his instructions and try to fly and land like he taught me.
Old 04-01-2021, 07:15 PM

Hi all,

Add my name to the list of pilots singing the praises of Bruce Bohannon.

I recently travelled to Bruce’s Flyin’ Tiger Airport in Angleton, TX for transition training, and I have to say, flying with Bruce was a highlight of my aviation career. Training in his specially modified RV8 was invaluable; the entire experience was personalized, practical, and FUN!!
Old 04-01-2021, 09:35 PM

Default Bruce is a great learning experience.

Just KEEP IT STRAIGHT and listen much more than you speak and you will learn a lot! 10/10.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:49 PM

+1 for Bruce. I just flew with him in his Legend Cub for some tailwheel refresher before I fly my -6. He's an excellent instructor and offered a lot of tips both on first flights and what to expect with the -6. I had trouble finding contact info for him because I wasn't aware of the Transition Training link on the home page. It's here: https://vansairforce.net/transition_training.htm

1950 Navion - flying
RV-6 - AWC received 2/9/2021
1940 Rearwin Cloudster project next
4 L-2 projects on deck
Old 04-03-2021, 04:00 PM

Thumbs up Great Training!

I also went to fly with Bruce back in January. It was a great experience that boosted my confidence in flying my new RV8.
Bruce is a great instructor to fly with. Highly recommended!

Robert S.
Old 04-03-2021, 05:51 PM

Default Biannual

After reading so many good things about Bruce here on vansairforce, I recently did a BFR with him. I learned a lot and enjoyed Bruce immensely. Great guy and fantastic CFI.