Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > RV Firewall Forward Section > Propellers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2021, 04:32 AM

Default Sensenich ground adjustable prop - real world experience?

I just installed a Sensenich ground adjustable prop and set the blades to "4" per the instructions. The engine is an Aerosport O-320 D2G 160 hp. The ramp is too icy for a static power test, so I thought I would ask two questions: First, what static RPM have others observed when the blades were set to "4" and second, what blade setting did others end up settling on. Steve
Old 02-07-2021, 05:23 AM

Default It depends on what type of aircraft it is on

On my 160 hp Rv4 I used the highest pitch pin setting 7 or 8, I dont recall off hand. The prop was still under pitched. ( I could exceed 2700 RPM in level flight at 8000 da. I eventually had the index pins on the prop changed to the 180 hp setting and after some testing ended up using pitch pin number 6. I get 2200 static and 2700 full throttle at 8000da.

Once you get it dialed in you will like the performance you get

Cm
Rocky Mountain Renegades
the mission... have fun.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:18 AM

My results are the same as Christopher on my 180hp RV4. Pitch number 6, static 2200, full throttle 2700. However, when they made my prop, they set my pitch pins on the prop blade a little more aggressive then standard, due to the skinny light weight airplane with 180hp. Number 6 works perfectly for me, and it’s a beautiful smooth operating prop.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019 Flying
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2021
Old 02-07-2021, 08:59 AM

Default 8-9 Pin

I used different settings when I first installed the prop. RV9 IO320 D1A. Never got the top end at altitude I was looking for. Used the 7 pin but still to high RPM in cruise. One method is to set prop angle by hand with a protractor. Did it with Don down at Airflow Performance. Worked out fine, but needed to be redone every time I did an inspection and became a pain.

Called Sensenich and found out they had a 8-9 pin but didn't include it in the kit. The 8-pin was close to what I had been running when I set it by hand.

I got the drawing and had a local machinist make one, works great and I use the 8-pin setting now.

Climb performance is great, gets off in 1000 or so. Don't remember what the static was as it was not a good indicator for me of how the prop performs at cruise altitude. Never have had to reset the pitch for a shorter ground run as the RV9 and engine are well matched.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:34 AM

Default 8-9 Pin (slight thread drift/steal)

Is Sensenich actually offering a 8-9 Pin or just the drawing and you have to make it yourself??

I am very interested as i have 2300 static and redline in cruise running on #7.

And i love this prop!!

Apologies for “highjacking” the original thread.

Flying since 11th July 2020
Old 02-07-2021, 09:57 AM

Default 8-9 pin

Apparently, they didn't think people would need it and so, I guess, only made a few early on but never more than a few. So I couldn't buy one from them but they sent the drawing. Easy for any machinist to follow.
Old 02-07-2021, 04:26 PM

Default Sensenich ground adjustable prop

Hi there, I have a RV-6A with an IO-320 Lycoming with 160 HP pistons. I have a Holy Cowl, plenum, Superior cold air sump and EFII injection/ignition.

I’m using pin #8, I went through all the pins that came with the prop and was still over speeding at altitude. I spoke with Sensenich about it and they sent me the drawing for the larger pins (8 & 9). It’s an easy machining project.

I turn 2200 static and can still over speed if I don’t watch it carefully. I may try the 9 pin setting this summer when it warms up.

Terry

One more thing, the 6 and 7 pin I received was miss labeled. Check the dimensions on your pins to ensure they are stamped correctly.
Old 02-08-2021, 03:32 AM

Thanks for the info. I can't wait to test out the new prop! Steve
Old 02-09-2021, 08:59 AM

I have about 250 hours with mine (high time 160hp O-320). It appears you are located in Vermont. If so and not operating from a very short airstrip, any pin setting will be fine to get started but I'd pick mid-range.

I'm based at 5,000' MSL. Most takeoffs/landings are performed at fairly high density altitude (7,000' and up), many above 10,000' DA. When operating from backcountry/short airstrips, I typically set the prop to the finest/climb pin/setting and takeoff/climb performance is very good, even at that high DA (though not fast at cruise). I used #7 for a couple months this summer and didn't care for it. As I recall, takeoff rpm (~7,000' DA) was around 2100. At full throttle cruise (10,000' DA) I could only get about 2600 rpm (all from memory). I suspect none of that matters to anyone as very few people routinely operate an RV-4 as I do. However; my real point that this prop offers some really nice flexibility/options if you need them - in addition to being a very nice prop (good performance, smooth, etc.).
http://jdfinley.com
Old 02-09-2021, 08:42 PM

I set mine at 4 (the nominal setting) on my 160hp 6A. My static RPM is 2300+. I have to be careful not to over-rev doing loops etc. But, like YellerDaisy said, you will really appreciate better take-off/climb performance if you fly in the southwest during the summer. I give up a little fuel economy but it's worth it to me. John