- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-30-2021, 02:53 PM

Default Lightspeed GM coils

Is anyone using the larger lightspeed “GM” coils? Are they the standard D555 coils from GM?
Thanks,
Sam
Old 02-28-2021, 03:31 PM

Default LSE Plasma III coil failure

I had a coil failure of my Plasma III ignition last weekend returning from San Diego. My aircraft has 719 hours and this is the first problem with my Lightspeed ignition. I measured the resistance of the output coils and indeed the one for cylinder 3,4 lower plugs was well out of spec (7.5kOhms spec and 1.3MegaOhms measured). I called Klaus and he send 4 new coils at my request. The new coils are completely different in form and appear to be 0.5 Ohm dual output coils from Dynatek. They make high output ignition systems for motorcycles and ATVs. I needed to make new mounting brackets which was not a problem. Luckily, the existing wires fit. What I didn't expect was the positive lead on the bad coil had broken. Klaus uses coax cable and the positive lead is a solid copper wire. I'm not sure if vibration broke the solid wire and if that fried the coil. I'm not an engineer! Additional new tidbit while speaking with Klaus was the difference in spark plug gap with the new coils. Higher output and duration of the spark he says needs a larger gap at .040". My back went out today while I was working on this so I'll update when I can move.
Roseville, Ca
Old 02-28-2021, 03:41 PM

A common point of failure in the LSE system is at the primary wire terminations -- ie. the Fast-On terminations AND RG-400 coax.

While risking the wrath of some and voiding the warranty, etc. etc., some of us are using good old fashioned MIL-C-27500, 2 conductor+shield 20GA wire with TE PIDG Fast-On crimps and BNC connectors for the primary connections.

Also, coils are available from Nology -- https://www.nology.com/profireauto.html, part 152 001 070 PFC-06D

2020 RV-14 QB -- Under construction - Tailcone & Empennage Complete.
2018 RV-7 QB -- Built, Flying
2007 RV-7 QB -- Built, Drowned, Resurrected and flying
1998 RV-8 QB -- Started, Sold
1986 Mooney 205SE
1980 Mooney 231

Aided and abetted building a number of other RV's.

Last edited by bjdecker : 02-28-2021 at 03:52 PM. Reason: added Nology 2nd source...
Old 03-01-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjdecker View Post

Also, coils are available from Nology -- https://www.nology.com/profireauto.html, part 152 001 070 PFC-06D

THANK YOU, THANK YOU for posting that info!!
Old 03-01-2021, 07:21 AM

The difference in cost isn't that much and, IMHO, it's worth supporting the companies and folks who support our planes, are there even on Sunday to answer our questions and offer assistance when we need it most. I was only mentioning the equivalent product to call out the motorcycle application would seem to mean a more robust construction. Again, I'm not an engineer and only reasoning that. Take all that for what it's worth --- probably not much:-)

Best,
David
Roseville, Ca
Old 03-01-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaweeka View Post
The difference in cost isn't that much and, IMHO, it's worth supporting the companies and folks who support our planes, are there even on Sunday to answer our questions and offer assistance when we need it most. I was only mentioning the equivalent product to call out the motorcycle application would seem to mean a more robust construction. Again, I'm not an engineer and only reasoning that. Take all that for what it's worth --- probably not much:-)

Best,
David
Totally agree, but it is a good idea to have a backup.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:00 AM

Default Solder Sleeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjdecker View Post
A common point of failure in the LSE system is at the primary wire terminations -- ie. the Fast-On terminations AND RG-400 coax.

While risking the wrath of some and voiding the warranty, etc. etc., some of us are using good old fashioned MIL-C-27500, 2 conductor+shield 20GA wire with TE PIDG Fast-On crimps and BNC connectors for the primary connections.
I have had luck with PIDG connectors for both the core and the shield of the RG-400. I used a solder sleeve onto the shield braid instead of the "strip it back and twist it" method. The solder sleeve has a pigtail that I then crimped the PIDG onto. The center core was backed up with heat shrink and the coax supported close to the coil. So far so good.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krwalsh View Post
The solder sleeve has a pigtail that I then crimped the PIDG onto.
That's a good idea.

2020 RV-14 QB -- Under construction - Tailcone & Empennage Complete.
2018 RV-7 QB -- Built, Flying
2007 RV-7 QB -- Built, Drowned, Resurrected and flying
1998 RV-8 QB -- Started, Sold
1986 Mooney 205SE
1980 Mooney 231

Aided and abetted building a number of other RV's.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

I've got over 100 hours on the new, larger coils, now and they seem to be working well. Yes, the form factor is different, but making a new bracket isn't that hard. They are larger, and hopefully more robust.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
Kitplanes "Unairworthy" monthly feature
EAA Sport Aviation "Checkpoints" column
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Author "Pre-Buy Guide for Amateur-Built Aircraft"
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 03-02-2021, 03:18 AM

Hi Vic, which style coils are you using? For those wondering about the standard lightspeed triumph coils I believe Klaus is the cheapest so you’re best off going through him. I’m just trying to find out what the larger/heavy duty coils actually are before getting replacements and wether people have had success as there’s no real info on them. I have just heard people referring to them as GM coils.
Cheers,
Sam