VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.


Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-16-2021, 03:51 PM
maca2790 maca2790 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rydal, NSW
Posts: 14
Default EarthX Battery in a Rv10, Comments?

Hi Guys,

I am thinking about installing an ETX900 in my RV10.

I have had a 2nd Concorde 25Xc fail in 5years. The first one lasted 2 years for 87 hrs of flying. Now this 2nd battery has about 106 hrs on it for 3 years of use.
These batteries are very expensive here in Australia ($640 AUS) and I am seriously considering and EarthX ETX 900 as a replacement.

The Battery cradle will need modification for the EarthX but that should only be a minor like installing a few spacers.

Does anyone have any experience with EarthX batteries in their RV10?

Cheers

John MacCallum
VH-DUU
RV10 41016
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-16-2021, 04:20 PM
rleffler's Avatar
rleffler rleffler is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Delaware, OH (KDLZ)
Posts: 4,229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maca2790 View Post
Hi Guys,

I am thinking about installing an ETX900 in my RV10.

I have had a 2nd Concorde 25Xc fail in 5years. The first one lasted 2 years for 87 hrs of flying. Now this 2nd battery has about 106 hrs on it for 3 years of use.
These batteries are very expensive here in Australia ($640 AUS) and I am seriously considering and EarthX ETX 900 as a replacement.

The Battery cradle will need modification for the EarthX but that should only be a minor like installing a few spacers.

Does anyone have any experience with EarthX batteries in their RV10?

Cheers

John MacCallum
VH-DUU
RV10 41016
I have the 900 as my main battery and a 680 for my ebus. Both are mounted when the plans battery is located. I had previously modified the tray for a pair of Oddessy 680s.

They are working great! Especially when itís cold outside.
__________________
Bob Leffler
N410BL - RV10 Flying
http://mykitlog.com/rleffler
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-16-2021, 06:27 PM
Auburntsts's Avatar
Auburntsts Auburntsts is online now
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,959
Default

I have an ETX1200 in the stock battery box. I had to fab some shims for the box, the top of the battery, and shorter hold down bolts to get it to fit.
__________________
Todd "I drink and know things" Stovall
PP ASEL-IA
RV-10 N728TT - Flying!
WAR EAGLE!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-16-2021, 06:36 PM
maca2790 maca2790 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rydal, NSW
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
I have the 900 as my main battery and a 680 for my ebus. Both are mounted when the plans battery is located. I had previously modified the tray for a pair of Oddessy 680s.

They are working great! Especially when itís cold outside.
Hi Bob,
yes I think I saw you post something about having an EarthX.
Interesting about the 680 for E Buss. I don't have an E buss, I have a back
up Plane Power Alternator driven off the Accessory Pad.

The Advanced Flight Screens have their own back up batteries.

In the Rv14, I am about to start work on, I haven't decided yet on what type of back up but I am thinking of going with the Back Up Alt like in the 10.

How old is your EarthX 900?


John M
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-16-2021, 06:38 PM
maca2790 maca2790 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rydal, NSW
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
I have an ETX1200 in the stock battery box. I had to fab some shims for the box, the top of the battery, and shorter hold down bolts to get it to fit.
Hi Todd,
the 1200 has a lot of reserve I should think. How long have you had it?

Cheers

John M
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-16-2021, 09:20 PM
Dustyone Dustyone is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Brisbane,Austalia
Posts: 196
Default 5 years

Hey John,
5 years and going strong on the ETX900.
If you will love the effect on your w & b
Cheers
__________________
Ashley Miller
RV-10 #40597
Dual SDS CPI
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=140051
Airflow Systems Air-Con
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...4&postcount=15
VH-XTE 700hrs +
Redcliffe,Brisbane
Australia
Photos : https://goo.gl/photos/zsfBeVofHMe4ze7i7
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-17-2021, 03:50 AM
cderk's Avatar
cderk cderk is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Park Ridge, NJ
Posts: 727
Default

I installed the 900 in my RV10 in the stock location. I basically took a piece of wood that fit the stock battery tray and cut a hole in it to match the footprint of the EarthX. Then used the stock hardware to hold it in place. Very easy and works well.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-17-2021, 07:21 AM
rvanstory's Avatar
rvanstory rvanstory is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: New Braunfels
Posts: 380
Default

I have EarthX in my 10. Only 48 hours of flight though. Happy with it so far.

Here's a few pics of the installation showing the added bracket on the top battery holder to keep it in place. Should I ever want to go back to larger battery, I just have to drill out 3 rivets and the tray is unaffected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kFXxp3nxSGaQY8RdTL6D9A.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	7057  Click image for larger version

Name:	BIMM23s5SjCHRkuLz9XmjA.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	7058  Click image for larger version

Name:	A9+uQyd5RMS%RuzjAEx4zg.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	7059  
__________________
Randy Vanstory
Flying RV10 - N783V
1st Flight 08/20/2020
Donation Happily Made 2021
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-17-2021, 08:55 AM
Carl Froehlich's Avatar
Carl Froehlich Carl Froehlich is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dogwood Airpark (VA42)
Posts: 2,951
Default

Most RV-10s need some weight aft. What are you builders using the lighter EarthX batteries doing to correct for W&B?

Carl
RV-10 with dual PC-625 batteries mounted in the standard location and very happy with W&B.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-17-2021, 10:19 AM
Auburntsts's Avatar
Auburntsts Auburntsts is online now
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
Most RV-10s need some weight aft. What are you builders using the lighter EarthX batteries doing to correct for W&B?

Carl
RV-10 with dual PC-625 batteries mounted in the standard location and very happy with W&B.
I really havenít noticed a difference. Even with my old battery, an Odyssey 925, when solo or just a co-pilot I always flew with gear (tool kit, cover, tie down ropes, gust lock, etc) in the baggage compartment plus a plastic 5 gal collapsible water cube. What I like about using water for ballast is I can start with it full and dump if necessary if I pick up pax or cargo Enroute.
__________________
Todd "I drink and know things" Stovall
PP ASEL-IA
RV-10 N728TT - Flying!
WAR EAGLE!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:38 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.