Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2020, 08:24 AM

Default Front & Tail Wheel modifications

Gentlemen, I am in the process of building an RV8 with an interest in grass landings. Are there recommendations for improved/larger tires for the front and tail wheels. In addition is there an improved tailwheel spring/mount that would allow improved clearance. The current design would appear to provide less clearance to the tail wheel than its radial diameter. Advise will be much appreciated.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:48 AM

Im watching this post with interest. I expect to do the same as you, have you seen this slightly larger pneumatic tailwheel

https://vansairforce.com/community/s...d.php?t=163852

Last edited by Scroggin : 11-07-2020 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:58 AM

I think some guys use a metric tire that fits the same wheels you already have. .380 or something. .I'll try to find the link..

Google "Vans 380 tires" I found this real quick..http://jdfinley.com/with-big-tires-c...esponsibility/
But there's more info out there. Also check on fly boys website. .there seem to be other tail wheel forks that are clearanced so they don't catch like a tail hook.

Wings Started.. 11-2020

Last edited by Taltruda : 11-07-2020 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-07-2020, 12:59 PM

Thumbs up Sky Designs

I can highly recommend this fella as someone who knows a little about the -8 and you might find this solution to your liking. (no dog in the fight here)

https://www.skydesigns.aero/coming-soon

Those parts are available now

He also builds main mount struts that are amazing

Cheers

Start 2/19 Emp complete 4/19 Wings complete 11/19 Fuse complete 6/20 Finish kit Complete 8/20 Electric/Avionics complete 9/20 Engine hung 2/21 Moving soon for assembly 4/21 - truckin' on...
- Been there, Donated 2021
Old 11-07-2020, 01:27 PM

I would strongly recommend using the 380-150x5.00 tires. Substantially more positive feel on grass and dirt. They will fit in the standard wheel pants but you should plan to install the wheel pants 1/2" higher than described in the plans. Also when you mount the wheel pant higher, you will find that you need to cut a relief hole in the wheel pant for the brake caliper and put a fiberglass blister fairing over it. I can supply those fiberglass fairings if you like, just PM me.

There are several different tail wheel forks available that are drop-in replacements to the existing set-up. The Doug Bell fork, I believe, gives the most ground clearance, but the Flyboys and JDairparts forks will also be big improvements.

There are some other details you should attend to if you are routinely operating on rough fields. Do absolutely replace the NAS 679 nuts that hold the landing gear struts on with the higher strength NAS 1804 nuts. Search for NAS1804 or search for the thread entitled "breaking news" for lots of details. Really everyone should do this, not just those operating on rough fields. The stamped NAS679 nuts are wholly inadequate.

I also recommend using taper pins rather than AN3 bolts to hold the tailwheel yoke to the tailspring. These will not work loose or allow the joint to move.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet" Flying since Sept. 2009
Hobbs 635
LS6-15/18W sailplane SOLD
bought my old LS6-A back!!
VAF donation Dec 2020
Old 11-08-2020, 04:56 PM

Smile

Thanks for all the input! Extremely helpful. Clearly joining the group has already been a tremendous help.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:20 PM

Just replaced the Vans tailwheel fork with Doug Bell fork and Flyboys Deluxe tailwheel (sealed bearings). Feel much better about the ground clearance especially after the original tailwheel diameter had worn down from 6 to 5 1/8. Also seems to ride the ripples in the runway better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2E5215F4-63E1-4DCE-97B5-9E537CEA6FE2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	4469  
2021 Donation In
Old 11-09-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsmith View Post
...There are several different tail wheel forks available that are drop-in replacements to the existing set-up. The Doug Bell fork, I believe, gives the most ground clearance, but the Flyboys and JDairparts forks will also be big improvements....

I also recommend using taper pins rather than AN3 bolts to hold the tailwheel yoke to the tailspring. These will not work loose or allow the joint to move.
To be clear, Blake at www.flyboyaccessories.com has been the sole source for the Bell fork for several years now. He licensed it from the Bell family. We have all been pleased with the performance of the fork and the relationship with everyone involved. Tailwheel products

Tapered pins, while not 100% necessary, WORK. They work as intended and don't get loose!
1-888-F1AIRCRAFT (1-888-312-4727)
www.flyboyaccessories.com
RV and Rocket Accessories, Tailwheels, Tools, & More
1-888-8FLYBOY (1-888-835-9269)

F4 Raider - under construction
F1-H Rocket "Crazy Horse" - sold
RV-4 "Chief Pontiac" - sold in 1994, purchased in 2018
Old 11-09-2020, 12:58 PM

My hangar neighbor installed the Flyboy tail fork and pneumatic tire but the tire kept going flat so he installed this solid whee/tire for a scooter for very little $. Worked great with the new fork.
Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl, plenum & intake, Anti-Splat -14 seat mod and nose gear support
All lines by TSFlightLines (aka Hoser)
Old 11-09-2020, 01:14 PM

I've operated a lot in soft conditions, and I've never felt compelled to go pneumatic. When I'm taxiing on soft grass, I'll unload the tail wheel carefully with proper elevator deflection. (But be careful doing this.)

Any "sloped" tail wheel yoke is a very good mod.

380s are a good add, but expensive. Be careful with wheel pant fastener interference. Cutting a set of 380s stinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
My hangar neighbor installed the Flyboy tail fork and pneumatic tire but the tire kept going flat so he installed this solid whee/tire for a scooter for very little $. Worked great with the new fork.
Nice tip! And I like that price.

Houston

Last edited by Low Pass : 11-09-2020 at 01:20 PM.