What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Formation practice

Blain

Well Known Member
So my plans for the weekend were to make the "Big cut" on my RV-8 canopy. My plans were interupted multiple times over the coarse of the day by a flight of 4 practicing formation. Looked like 1 RV and 3 of something with a tapered wing. We get a lot of the warbird guys practicing out here South of O61 (Cameron Park). Usually just a couple of minutes and they are gone. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching. But this formation group must have known what I have in my shop. I think they were teasing me; "Hurry up and finish. Then you can come and play........"

Just a weird day. Oh, BTW, the cut went well.

norcal bonanza advanced formation clinic

That was one of the flights from the beech advanced formation clinic running out of KMCC.

I was there this afternoon for a couple of flights in my RV-8 (bonanza down getting new cylinders, but RV more fun anyway!). There were several other non-bonanza aircraft participating. At least three simultaneous flights out practicing most of the day. They'll do another round Sunday morning.

Details at: https://www.b2osh.org/MbrPgm/Events/EventsOne.asp?R8r06=IDJ

It sure does speak to the statement of always assuming that someone is on the ground taking a picture that will be around for a long time. #4 is flying in a completely separate formation, not looking so "advanced" :).

That was one of the flights from the beech advanced formation clinic running out of KMCC.

I was there this afternoon for a couple of flights in my RV-8 (bonanza down getting new cylinders, but RV more fun anyway!). There were several other non-bonanza aircraft participating. At least three simultaneous flights out practicing most of the day. They'll do another round Sunday morning.

Details at: https://www.b2osh.org/MbrPgm/Events/EventsOne.asp?R8r06=IDJ

So do you have to have a Beech for these clinics or are RV's welcome?

It sure does speak to the statement of always assuming that someone is on the ground taking a picture that will be around for a long time. #4 is flying in a completely separate formation, not looking so "advanced" :).

Looked like #4 was a newbe. Held it out a safe distance.

Sure looked like fun. I might have worked a couple of hours longer yesterday just to get closer to joining the fun!

If you're looking for other groups that the RV's formate nicely with, check out the Swift owners and/or Nanchang (CJ-6) owners groups. The airspeed and performance ranges work nicely with these aircraft. Our local group does an RV / Swift mixed flypast at Remembrance Day each year.

Back