Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Building Tips/Techniques
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2021, 04:12 PM

The F-01479 Skin piece is quite thick I suspect it does not need a doubler. It is probably a good Idea to mount the antenna before mounting the Horizontal Stab as there would be room to reach in from above. However it looks like if you do have the Tail feathers on you can still reach in through the two holes in the front part of the Aft deck.

RV14A Tail kit 95%
Wing kit 95%
Fuselage QB stuck in China virus corrosion purgatory

RV 14 WIKI in Drop Box

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xu5p6f4l7...bU0ck0pJa?dl=0

please purchase the thumb drive Vans offers. I DO NOT want to take away from sales flow or get the WIKI Killed.

---For Edit Access drop me a PM with your Email address.

EAA 1300
Donation Paid 18,19,20,21 Military exempt

Last edited by HAL Pilot : 03-14-2021 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL Pilot View Post
The F-01479 Skin piece is quite thick I suspect it does not need a doubler. It is probably a good Idea to mount the antenna before mounting the Horizontal Stab as there would be room to reach in from above. However it looks like if you do have the Tail feathers on you can still reach in through the two holes in the front part of the Aft deck.

I called tech. They said a doubler is recommended. We put in a 0.032" piece reaching in from the top as you suggested. It wasn't too bad. Dimpling the skin was the hardest part, but we managed with the Cleaveland close quarters tool using steel nails as mandrels. I broke every one but they made acceptable dimples. It's a two person job to rivet, but now I can rest assured the antenna will not be vibrating back there.
Slo Fuse Completed 3-2-21
Wiring and Avionics Begun 3-3-21
QB Wings delayed until ?
Finish Kit expected 7-21
Thunderbolt EXP119 expected 7-21
2021 Dues Paid
Reserved: N52XL
Old 03-15-2021, 08:37 AM

Vans sells a small doubler for the transponder type antenna. I bought two of them. Mine are installed just aft of the firewall. I couldn't reach to do the riveting singlehanded so I rigged up my backriveting plate with my floor jack pressing the plate up against the bottom skin of the plane. I backriveted them from the inside. Worked like a charm. You might be able to do something similar.
RV-7 Fuselage in progress
* Cabin Interior - In progress
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete
Old 03-17-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Actually power loss is quite high at these freq's, Garmin recommends max 2 db loss in the STC IM (approx 9' RG400 with 2 connectors) for new generation xpdrs with high power. The older xpdrs were 1.5db max loss.

A 3db loss means only half the power from the unit actually makes it to the antenna.

(RG400 has a loss of approx 18.5db per 100' and each connector is avg at .2 db)

If you have 15' of RG400 on your xpdr (approx 3 db loss) you may have trouble passing the 91.413 check due to low power and sensitivity not to mention your range will be reduced. If you need this long of a cable you should use a lower loss coax.

Recommended ground plane for xpdr antenna is 8" dia not 2.8"
Walt,

Thank you as always for keeping us honest. However, I do have a couple of points that need to be clarified/understood.

1/4 wave monopole antenna design use the formula of L = 234/Freq -> e.g. 234/1090, with 135 for the legs to achieve the correct impedance in air. I see in the Part 23 AML for the GTX 3x5, Garmin is calling for 12" for the ground plane; what gives here?

I also see the 2.0dB call out in the AML for maximum loss which is about 9' of RG-400 (18.5dB/100ft, + ~.2dB for each BNC). In the RV-14 with a panel mount GTX 3x5 it looks like you need about 16' of feedline. Van's specs RG-400 for this installation. What did you do in this case? Remote mount the 3x5 or use other feedline? Or just take the extra .5dB loss and ignore the AML...

Cheers!

2020 RV-14 QB -- Under construction - Tailcone & Empennage Complete.
2018 RV-7 QB -- Built, Flying
2007 RV-7 QB -- Built, Drowned, Resurrected and flying
1998 RV-8 QB -- Started, Sold
1986 Mooney 205SE
1980 Mooney 231

Aided and abetted building a number of other RV's.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjdecker View Post
Walt,

Thank you as always for keeping us honest. However, I do have a couple of points that need to be clarified/understood.

1/4 wave monopole antenna design use the formula of L = 234/Freq -> e.g. 234/1090, with 135 for the legs to achieve the correct impedance in air. I see in the Part 23 AML for the GTX 3x5, Garmin is calling for 12" for the ground plane; what gives here?

I also see the 2.0dB call out in the AML for maximum loss which is about 9' of RG-400 (18.5dB/100ft, + ~.2dB for each BNC). In the RV-14 with a panel mount GTX 3x5 it looks like you need about 16' of feedline. Van's specs RG-400 for this installation. What did you do in this case? Remote mount the 3x5 or use other feedline? Or just take the extra .5dB loss and ignore the AML...

Cheers!
Yes if you actually do the calculation at 960mhz (ADS-B in) comes out to about 6" minimum. Maybe Garmin prefers a 1/2 wavelength which would be 12".

If I was mounting the xpdr in the panel I would definitely find a location up front for the antenna, the other option (which I usually do) is remote mount the xpdr in the rear). No I would not accept the 1db loss for the extra 6 ft of cable.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1900+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154

Last edited by Walt : 03-17-2021 at 03:28 PM.