- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:13 AM

Default ADSB and TIS-B Fail?

I have a Garmin Suite in My Sling 2. Dual G3X Touch displays tied to a GTX-45R aNd GPS20A. Several times while flying I get a FAILED message on my traffic page. No ADSB, no TIS-B. I know ATC is seeing me, as they haven?t complained once while on Flight Following, so they are getting my identifier and altitude info.

When I go into setup the Datalink ICON is dark. When I go to the setup Bluetooth page, I see the GDU serial number and Not Connected or Searching. The green check mark is present and if it?s not, I go to manage and re-enable automatic connect.

So, what could it be? Where should I be looking? Why does it drop off. Any and all assistance appreciated. I hope G3eXpert chimes in.

Oh and on my last flight, MI to NY, it went out and came back on it?s own.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV12JT View Post
I have a Garmin Suite in My Sling 2. Dual G3X Touch displays tied to a GTX-45R aNd GPS20A. Several times while flying I get a FAILED message on my traffic page. No ADSB, no TIS-B. I know ATC is seeing me, as they haven?t complained once while on Flight Following, so they are getting my identifier and altitude info.

When I go into setup the Datalink ICON is dark. When I go to the setup Bluetooth page, I see the GDU serial number and Not Connected or Searching. The green check mark is present and if it?s not, I go to manage and re-enable automatic connect.

So, what could it be? Where should I be looking? Why does it drop off. Any and all assistance appreciated. I hope G3eXpert chimes in.

Hello John,

Please contact us directly via G3Xpert@garmin.com and we are happy to help you figure this out. Trying to troubleshoot over the internet for something like this isn't efficient.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:32 AM

Will do, thanks Steve!
Old 09-21-2019, 01:56 PM

I?ve been meaning to get a hold of g3xpert as well, but since the sw update on my 45r at osh I?ve been getting a voice alert ?traffic not available? even though tis-b and fis-b hav green check marks and I have traffic on the screen. Sounds like yours is a different issue, but just wanted to say I?ve been seeing some weird stuff with my 45r lately
Aero Engineer, A&P
Old 03-05-2021, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV12JT View Post

This just started happening to me yesterday, same pattern of intermittent then consistent failure. I have a single G3x, GTN 625 and GTX45r. I am curious what you found and how you found the solution. I emailed G3xpert as well.

David
Roseville, Ca

Last edited by kaweeka : 03-05-2021 at 05:40 AM.
Old 03-06-2021, 05:27 AM

You might check the software versions in your G3X and GTX-45R. My -45R worked fine for the first two flights, then on the third flight I got a TXP FAIL (or something like it) message on the G3X. The problem went away after an avionics power cycle.

After talking with the G3Xpert folks, I found Garmin had released a GTX-45R software update after I had my transponder updated at OSH 19, and upgrading to G3X software version 8.72 created an incompatibility with the older software in my transponder. They recommended updating it as a first step in troubleshooting so I had an avionics person come over and install the latest -45R software and since then I've had no problems. Your symptoms may be different but it's still worth a check.

HTH

Dave

ps - friendly request to the G3Xpert folks...we can do our own software updates in the G3X and GTNs, how about making the software available to update transponders as well?
RV-7 N701ED FLYING!
Nashua, NH (KASH)

Last edited by Thermos : 03-06-2021 at 05:42 AM. Reason: I'm an engineer with poor grammar skills
Old 03-06-2021, 08:38 AM

Thanks for that advice. I do maintain the latest updates through the G3x (8.72)and GTN 625 (6.71). Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the GTN updates include updates for the LRUs as well. Nonetheless, I'm going to check what version my GTX currently shows. Also, coincidently, this most recent update in late January was done while my plane was in annual. These symptoms started with my first flight afterwards. Not sure if there were any configuration changes on that update (I don't see anything that refers to the GTX in the bulletin) but is's a thought.
All thoughts are welcome and appreciated as I'm stretching my knowledge base here....
Roseville, Ca
Old 03-06-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaweeka View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the GTN updates include updates for the LRUs as well.
G3X software updates definitely handle the G3X system LRUs, but I'm 99.99 percent sure they don't include the GTN or transponder. Perhaps Garmin will confirm one way or another.

FWIW, the post-update GTX-45R configuration given to me by my avionics tech shows a system version of 2.54, and the specific part that required updating was the ADS-B software to version 3.13. If memory serves you can find the transponder system version by looking at the G3X System Information or Transponder pages in config mode - pretty sure it's the Transponder page.

HTH

Dave
RV-7 N701ED FLYING!
Nashua, NH (KASH)

Last edited by Thermos : 03-06-2021 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-06-2021, 12:13 PM

The G3X Software update does NOT update GTN, GTX devices.

The only LRU's that are updated are listed in the release notes for the G3X Software stack -- see https://www8.garmin.com/support/down...ls.jsp?id=8901

2020 RV-14 QB -- Under construction - Tailcone & Empennage Complete.
2018 RV-7 QB -- Built, Flying
2007 RV-7 QB -- Built, Drowned, Resurrected and flying
1998 RV-8 QB -- Started, Sold
1986 Mooney 205SE
1980 Mooney 231

Aided and abetted building a number of other RV's.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:08 PM

Holy cow, mine says 2.05😮 where do I find the update for the GTX and instructions for install?
Roseville, Ca