Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH1166 View Post
Has happened to me, it was the bendix drive in my starter. Not a skytec, but Kelly Aerospace. I would try to jump it just in case battery is weak before I would do anything more extensive. Skytec does have a good trouble shooting guide to use, but you need to have a meter and know how to operate it.
Right. I?ll mesure voltage on different places . I am going to put a switch between battery positive and S connection of the relay to do the contact as the key switch until it doesn?t work . If 12 v is coming to the starter , so starter I sur failing.
Is there a chance to see inside the starter and clean it up?
Old 03-11-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackdom View Post
I mean the external firewall-mounted one , and what do you mean by non NL one?
The NL does not use the problematic solenoid that the LS has. See the various Skytec starters here: https://skytec.aero/product/lycoming-aircraft-starters/. All but the NL, HT, and E-Drive use that solenoid.

So if you have the typical LS, here's likely the problem: http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=135453
Old 03-12-2019, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgerhardt View Post
The NL does not use the problematic solenoid that the LS has. See the various Skytec starters here: https://skytec.aero/product/lycoming-aircraft-starters/. All but the NL, HT, and E-Drive use that solenoid.

So if you have the typical LS, here's likely the problem: http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=135453
I have a LS , so solenoid , is there a way to fix the problem , something to clean?
Old 03-12-2019, 04:02 AM

I contacted Vans , they think it?s a well known starter issue with this 149-12 LS starter. They recommend XLT version .
Old 03-12-2019, 04:50 AM

Quote:
I contacted Vans , they think it’s a well known starter issue with this 149-12 LS starter. They recommend XLT version .
If Vans recommends you spend money to replace the starter, you should read the thread linked in post #2 and consider an NL starter. The NL is not a permanent magnet starter and gives your battery/wiring a bit more leeway for voltage drop. You solve two potentional issues with one purchase.
RV-14. #140039 Complete
Flight hours: 500+
2020 Dues Paid
The Dues Paid note is a reminder for me
Old 03-12-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Hi,
I recently experienced two problems with my O 320 engine. Far from my home base, turning the key to start up, and...nothing. Solenoid is brand new, And I can hear that it works, but no starter.
I've had the same problem from the beginning with my IO-360. Especially the second or third flight of a day, I'd her a "clack" but the prop wouldn't turn.

Now here's what I found out for my setup: The starter gear moves forward but hits the ring gear from behind - so it does not properly seat into the teeth. Also, I'm using a PC545-battery and not the PC680. I think it might be the different battery that delivers a current that is just a bit weaker than that required to force the starter gear into the ring gear.

So for me, hitting the starter two or three times solves the problem. My next step in troubleshooting is to start the engine with an external battery.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:32 AM

It's buried deep in the cobwebs, but IIRC, there's a spec on pinion clearance to the ring gear teeth, modified with shim under starter mount. If the teeth aren't meshing consistently, that's worth a look. Check several spots around the ring gear.

edit: The current required to activate the pinion solenoid is well under 15A (plus the initial spike), so even a smaller battery shouldn't have a problem supplying the grunt to move the pinion.

Ignore the above if the starter has a true bendix (spiral mechanical advance for the pinion).

Last edited by rv7charlie : 03-12-2019 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I have a LS , so solenoid , is there a way to fix the problem , something to clean?
Just read my link. Replace the solenoid! It's a $20 part and you can replace it while the starter is still bolted to the engine. I've had to replace 3 of them in 11 years. I think what happens is dust gets in between the plunger and housing and binds it up. Recently here, someone posted a pic of the pinion gear jammed forward. That would be from the solenoid too.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:39 PM

Default +1 on replace solenoid

I have an LS on my engine and it's gone bad 2x in about 150 hrs unfortunately. Replace the solenoid, its not too difficult to do in about 15 minutes if you can access the back of it. Just make sure your replacement solenoid wire posts are the same. The last one I bought they were reversed, no big deal, just reverse the wire connection.

In a pinch try moving the prop just a small amount and try starting, it may catch. I was able to do that on a cross country where the solenoid started acting up, but I could still hear it tapping the back of the ring gear. It doesn't always work. Replaced it when I got home. Next cross country I think I'll carry a spare.

hgerdhardt - did you ever get to try a rubber booted one, any better luck with dust prevention?

Gregg
Old 03-12-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly3g View Post
............hgerdhardt - did you ever get to try a rubber booted one, any better luck with dust prevention?

Gregg
No, I never did. I bought one from ebay in which the photo had a boot but when it was delivered, it didn't have one. That one has actually been working fine for several years now. (as he knocks on wood)

One of mine failed in Death Valley, at Furnace Creek. I got it going by using one of the cowl hinge pins to pry out the pinion manually into the ring gear and then it worked enough to start the engine. It was only a week old after SkyTec had just overhauled it. That incident is what prompted me to figure these things out!