- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:46 PM

Default Pitch trim connector

Hello everyone, new to the board and already asking for help. Iím helping a local RV14A builder with his bird. Today we debugged a problem with the pins in the connector at the tail for the pitch trim. We need to order a new connector and the correct pins, thinking Digikey will have them but was hoping someone could help with part number for the connector. Picture attached. Any info would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AF79774E-AA0B-4B64-AC97-459A444AA546.jpeg
Views:	113
Size:	274.1 KB
ID:	15053  
Old 08-24-2021, 08:10 PM

Digi-key part number for the male housing is 43020 and 43025 for the female housing. The connector part number is 43031 and 43030 for male and female.

Good luck
N258SM RV14A - IO390EXP119 - in progress
Dues paid
Old 08-24-2021, 08:28 PM

Many people (including me) have found the micro molex connectors to be nothing but trouble. I replaced most of them with better connectors. Many options including d-sub and Deutsch DTM.

Do some searches and you'll find lots of information.

RV-14A built/sold N14VB
RV-12iS in progress as of October 2020
Old 08-24-2021, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnerb View Post
Many people (including me) have found the micro molex connectors to be nothing but trouble. SNIP
+1
I spent a day ringing out the pitch servo wiring to finally find the intermittent connector in the elevator on a buddyís build. I cut it off and installed a better connector.

Carl
Old 08-24-2021, 09:17 PM

Great call, I also found the connector to be a bit flimsy and the pins just wont take hold in the housing. Iíll do some research and seek out a more robust solution.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:28 PM

I had the same problem yesterday as well. Replaced mine with D sub connectors and heat shrinks. Steinair has a excellent video on how to do this.
Old 08-24-2021, 10:06 PM

I don't recommend a field install of the micromolex connectors. If you bugger the supplied pins replace with something better. The pins are not designed to be removed and reinserted.

For that location I recommend using d-sub pins incased in shrink tubing. It's a common trick outlined in the Aeroelectric.

Built and Flying RV-14A N626KM SN 140093 http://n626km.com
Built and Flying Sonex N982SX http://n982sx.com
Old 08-25-2021, 09:36 AM

Please note that the pins go in and lock in place only in one orientation, once it is in the correct orientation it stays on well but I admit they are a pain to work with.
The elevator trim is the only place that I am using the Molex micro, other locations that does not have that nice slot for the connector to be mounted, I am using the Molex mini which is a bit bigger and easier to work with.
N258SM RV14A - IO390EXP119 - in progress
Dues paid
Old 09-02-2021, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafa View Post
Please note that the pins go in and lock in place only in one orientation, once it is in the correct orientation it stays on well but I admit they are a pain to work with.
The elevator trim is the only place that I am using the Molex micro, other locations that does not have that nice slot for the connector to be mounted, I am using the Molex mini which is a bit bigger and easier to work with.
This is a VERY important point when working with micro Molex connectors. If they are installed incorrectly, you will have nothing but problems. However, once crimped properly, a feat in itself, and installed in the correct orientation, they work as expected. However, I understand why people would want to replace them.
Old 09-02-2021, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibkickle View Post
This is a VERY important point when working with micro Molex connectors. If they are installed incorrectly, you will have nothing but problems. However, once crimped properly, a feat in itself, and installed in the correct orientation, they work as expected. However, I understand why people would want to replace them.
The micro Molex are so difficult to crimp it's a joke. Even then (using connectors crimped and inserted by SteinAir) I found them unreliable. Regular Molex no problem.

RV-14A built/sold N14VB
RV-12iS in progress as of October 2020