Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2021, 09:04 AM

Default music input muting

My RV-10 has a GMA 245 audio panel. I have my Onspeed box wired into the audio panel's unswitched (mono) input, unfortunately. When I wired it we haven't implemented the 3D audio yet.
The 245 has buttons for muting music by radio and ICS so I'm pretty sure it will work, and I'm planning on wiring it up that way too. I got that audio panel because it has better music control than the PSE I had before.

My other plane is single seat, so it doesn't have an audio panel, Onspeed audio is wired into the GTR200 COM radio's music input. On that one you can turn off radio and ICS muting from the menus. It works great. Vac has the same setup in his RV-4.

Lenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carter View Post
Working on a new G3X panel for my RV-7A & would like to incorporate the OnSpeed system. Wondering if anyone has done this & has any tips to share.

I'll be using the GMA 245 audio panel. Does anyone know if allows stereo inputs that are not muted by incoming radio traffic?
David
OnSpeed development team
Old 07-20-2021, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpmicrowave View Post
The Black control Knob has an internal LED the "slowly breaths" to indicate normal AOA System operation, rotating the knob adjusts AOA audio volume, pushing the knob can either disable the AOA Audio or also put a data mark in the systems continuously recorded data file (downloaded via wifi post flight when desired).

Tron
Tron - do you have a part number reference or link for that lighted volume control knob?

Thanks!
AFP Fuel Injection & Dual SDS CPI-2 ignition
KLZU - Lawrenceville, GA
2021 Dues Paid
Old 07-20-2021, 09:38 AM

The lighted Pot/switch and knob are in this Mouser project:

https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManage...sID=17388885d5

The knob will need to be drilled and epoxy filled so it's transparent to the LED under it.
OnSpeed development team
Old 07-21-2021, 07:49 AM

Default I Fly w Onspeed too

This is from an older post of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Vaughan View Post
Recently The Onspeed (OS) showed me what a powerful flight tool it is.

My son Ian, 25yrs, has grown up flying with me numerous hours. He recently started down the road to pilothood. He has been taking lesssons in a Light sport Pipestral. He told me that the pipestral flys very much like The 7a and the 12 I now own. Extremely light on the controls, same rotax power plant but has a high wing. I had never let Ian take off or land previously but yesterday I deceided to give him a try. Ian recently soloed the pipestral.

I flew up to 3500 feet and gave Ian a lesson on how the AOA OS works and sounds. There is nothing to look at only aural warnings. He flew simulated single turn approaches. He is being taught a rectangular pattern so this was new to him except he has been in my plane dozens of times while I land with a single turn approach. Our ten minutes of training was over and we headed back to land. My RV12 does not have dual screens so Ian had no instruments in front of him. After he arrived at the proper pattern alt he throttled back and set up a glide with trim OS. With his head out the window the entire time he nailed his first landing. It was a right hand pattern but he was on the right side of the aircraft. He had never landed a right hand pattern. He made another right hand landing again nailing it. There was no wind so we decided to use the other runway which is a left hand pattern. He again nailed two more landings without ever looking at the instruments as I told him to trust me and AOA OS will do the work for you.

I had a blast doing this with my son. I think he is hooked on the AOA OS.
West Chester Pa

2021 donation current
Old 07-21-2021, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vac View Post
Figs,

Excellent. Sound plan.

We worked hard to make the fast tone and the ONSPEED solid tone cues pleasant so that it's "readily internalized" as the human factors folks would say--you only notice it when it's NOT there. We also attenuate it with radio or intercom so it blends into the background. We do, however, want the slow tone and stall warning to get your attention. We think it's important for the pilot to know that the airplane is in a negative energy state (more drag than thrust unless you do something). Not sure how the Dynon logic works, but interested to find out what you learn--post again after you've experimented.

We realize that flying using an aural cue as a reference is an alien concept for most pilots. Fighter and glider pilots have been doing it for years. We run into comments so often from folks that haven't tried it, we've got a name for it: green eggs and ham syndrome

Here's how we've got ours mech'd:

https://youtu.be/X59y9Song3U

And, we added a big, old-fashioned volume knob, so it's easy to adjust any time.

Cheers,

Vac
Vac
OK I did a few runs yesterday and it look like if you set the Dynon tone onset at the beginning of the yellow chevrons you end up with a solid tone at the beginning of the red chevrons and still some margin before the actual stall break at the top of the indicator.
So onspeed from the pictures would be close to the solid tone. I plan to try this for a while but suspect the dynon tone could get a little annoying as it will be on a lot during the approach and also after landing until you hit the MINSPD setting and it is not the most pleasant tone
Figs
Old 07-21-2021, 11:26 AM

Figs,

Excellent. Sounds like a solid plan.

The Dynon system is designed for progressive stall warning, so the tone is designed to "get your attention" I suspect. That's why we worked to make the fast tone and ONSPEED cues in our system pleasant (we still want slow tone to "get your attention").

Cheers,

Vac