What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Roll Servo Installation Question

Taz

I'm close to closing the wings (with QB I was close when they arrived;)) but I'd like to keep the option of installing a Dynon autopilot open. Can I just buy/install the dynon roll servo mounting kit/tray, then close up the wings and have the option to put in a servo at some point down the road? I imagine I'd need to run the wiring as well?

Thanks in advance,

Brian Delamater
RV-7
Empennage Complete
Working on QB wings/fuse

I hope so, I closed up my wings and plan to install the roll servo later. I am sure it'll be a pain, but what fun would it be if it were easy.

I'd run the wiring now if you can but otherwise its not hard at all to install with the wings closed as it can all be done through the access panel (in an -8 anyway).

Ken

Yes, run the wires now. You can install the roll servo bracket at any time. That is very easy to do.

The pitch servo bracket, on the other hand, requires drilling and riveting. Some of the rivets go through the bottom skin. Same thing as the wing, run the wires now.

Thanks

Thanks all - I figured the access panel would suffice, just wanted to be sure...especially since Dynon wasn't 100%!

Installing the servo was a piece of cake. I already had conduit in the wing so running the wires was easy too. The only painful part was under the panel finding and hooking up the DSAB bus wires. The whole thing took about 3 hours.

Luis Luciani
RV8 ~ 200 hours

The hardest part on the roll servo was continually dropping hardware. I am insterested though in the issues with installing a pitch servo in the 7A. Bill (N941WR) would you enlighten me please.
phelps

The hardest part on the roll servo was continually dropping hardware. I am insterested though in the issues with installing a pitch servo in the 7A. Bill (N941WR) would you enlighten me please.
phelps

LOL!

When working upside down like this I do one (or both) of two things.

I have a very small magnet on a stick my wife gave me as a stocking stuffer years ago (what a woman!) and set it so it can hold the hardware in place.

The second trip is to use fuel lube to stick the washers and things together until I can get a wrench on them.

There is a third trick but it might cost you big time! My wife has very small hands (and is a surgeon of the vet verity) and is really good at working in small spaces. I will some times call upon her to help if my hands are simply too large.

Back