What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anywheremap Duo report

gereed75

Well Known Member
Just made my first x-cntry using my new Anywheremap Duo.

This thing is fantastic!!. First it does suffer a bit in direct sunlight. Not enough to make it unusable, just enough to have to fiddle a bit to find the best viewing angle.

I have the Ultra Taws option to get Low Alt enroute charts and Pocket Plates. The unit flows faultlessly from enroutes to approach plates to airport diagrams or even sectionals. The ability to tap on any airport symbol and get all of the airport info - crs and distance to it, freqs, approaches, notes, FBO info, etc etc etc. is fantastic.

There is tons of info on this thing, very easy to access.

And the geo-referenced charts, approaches and even airport diagrams for taxiing is truly a situational awareness bonanza. The geo-referenced approaches improve single pilot IFR confidence by several orders of magnitude.

The flight planning takes a bit to get used to, but the rubber band feature makes it pretty simple.

I was completely comfortable relying on the Duo for enroutes, approaches, departures etc. (looks like I am becoming a "north-up" guy). The zoom works flawlessly as does the ability to pan into your route - with a single screen tap to return to your position. I flew with a set of World Areas Charts for back -up. Six cover all of Eastern US and they are good for one year while the duo updates every 28 days (or every 4 hours for TAF's etc.)

The standalone back up GPS is nice. Highly recommended for IFR flying. Useful features just keep popping out! It just works!!!

Last edited:
Good question. Not sure what the hardware piece is. It is not immediately apparent and I am not a hardware savy guy

mine is "semi-permanent" mounted using the suction cup mount they supply (modified slightly) and a bracket I fabbed. Just inboard of the left slider sill and just below glare shield height. It is still adjustable, falls easily into the instrument scan, is close by the eyeballs, very functional, and easily dismounted to take out for flight planning at home or in the motel or to use in the car. It comes with Delorme road maps and full address type functions. This type mount is highly recommended.

Duo North Up

I am really enjoying mine as well. I also like the wi fi and Windows 7.
How do you keep it North Up? Mine defaults to track up every time I change views. (Feel free to contact me directly; [email protected]) Thanks!

the GPS is not approved for IFR, so you can't use it in IFR

Sure you can, you can use any piece of equipment in IFR ops you wish.

However, it can't be your sole/primary means of navigation while flying IFR. But as an addition to IFR-legal equipment in order to enhance situational awareness, you betcha. :)

I am looking at purchasing a new GPS and have been looking at the Duo. From what I can tell, it is a software package that has been installed on a personal PC, the Viliv X70EX. You can get several different software packages from anywheremap and run them on any windows based pc. The X70EX has a built in SirfStar3 gps, which has been used on several Garmin models, so I think it should work good. The computer is made by a company in Korea and they are having a hard time keeping up with demand. Right now if you order one it takes about two weeks. No big deal.

The only concern I have is the service after the sale. Anywhere map service seems ok, but good luck with Viliv. I called their "technical support" to see if it had a video out and they told me it did not, but I was certain it did. Took about 20 minutes and 5 times on hold to tell me I was right. I was thinking about hooking up an extra monitor for my copilot. My gamrin 396 has been shutting down randomly and she thinks we are lost if the GPS is not on. I was going to get the duo and then send my garmin off to have fixed for the flat rate of $350. Everytime I have called garmin, I get someone pretty sharp and they have always helped me out.

The system does look awesome. Flying an approach with you sitting on the approach plate...how awesome is that. I am currently working on my IFR and I think this would make shooting approaches, holding patterns, etc, much easier.

I was thinking about mounting it close to the pilot side and running another LCD monitor off of it next to the copilot. She could see everything I was doing.

I would like to see some more feedback from some other people using it. It does look cool and much cheaper to own than a Garmin and has some better features.

Sure you can, you can use any piece of equipment in IFR ops you wish.

However, it can't be your sole/primary means of navigation while flying IFR. But as an addition to IFR-legal equipment in order to enhance situational awareness, you betcha. :)

ah i see what you did there

Back