What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Egg Gearbox Failure

To be fair, alternative engines have shown they can make THRUST (what you really want) equivalent to 180 HP engine or more.
The only thrust tests I have seen measured static thrust. The thrust of any given engine and prop combination will change significantly as the airspeed changes, and the relationship between thrust and speed will depend on prop blade angle, blade twist, prop rpm, prop diameter, etc, etc. Some of the things that increase static thrust will decrease thrust at normal airspeeds. It is not possible to take thrust results at zero speed and draw any conclusions about performance in a flying aircraft.

Static thrust is a very useful number only if you plan to pull stumps with your aircraft, but it is meaningless for a flying aircraft.

GMC-
Come on, be fair. Tracy ran in the 160hp class because that is what that engine produced with marginally-effective motorcycle carbs early in the development process. Mazda rated that same motor at 140hp in autos. Tracy and others easily get 180 with his current FI system. FWIW, the output in a rotary is dependent on rpm, which is mostly a function of intake system capability. Current systems with the same engine BUT with FI and intakes tuned for ~6000rpm produce 180-200 hp, a bit more ~250 with peripheral porting, up to 300 with turbocharging.

"but a Lyc is made to run at 2,700 RPM all day long" ...BS FLAG, or at least misleading!

2700 is relatively slow rpm; but a Lyc might, or might not, be producing full rated power depending on the situation, prop, etc. Lyc claims peak hp numbers that might be achievable under perfect conditions, everyone knows that a Lyc will not last at full power for extended periods of time in the real world, particularly when leaned- they recommend use around 60% of peak hp most the time, don't they?

The rotaries can hum leaned, at rated power (5000-7000 rpm), as long as you want, with minimal wear and no fear of damage. I agree with your comments as far as most reciprocating engines (ie, Subi and Chev, even Lycs) motors are concerned, the Suzuki is probably an exception- designed for continuous 5000 rpm freeway cruise. The internal stress rises (exponentially?) in a reciprocating engine as rpm increases- think of the mechanical stress involved with the pistons/rods pounding (accelerating and stopping) with each rotation of the crankshaft, particularly with large bore (Lyc) engines.

Update note: Paul Lamar just reported results back from his p-ported intake Renesis (sideport exhaust) test on the Mazdatrix dyno: 264hp, 194ft/lb @ 7200rpm w/Weber carburetor. Sideport exhaust was quiet, stable idle, tested with 87 octane mogas.

Last edited:
There are many hours on geared Lyc 0-540's, P-51's and others. As I stated earlier, my PT-6 has over 8000 hours on the original gearbox, absorbing 1200-1300 pounds of torque daily, for 8000 hours and takeoff torque of up to 1600 ft. lbs. during 12-15 takeoffs a day.

Regards,

And I'm betting that there is lots of G-loading on the propeller and propeller shaft in your line of work. I think that the Subaru is a good powerplant with proven strong internals, but I think that to be viable in this application, someone is going to have to figure out how to cast an engine block with an integral PSRU housing to really make this work. Such a re-design would have the added benefit of being even more compact and lightweight. There are a lot of aftermarket foundries now that are casting various car blocks and cylinder heads. The pricing is apparently not so high as to keep folks from buying them for their cars, so I think it is within reason to try to get something like this for your planes. This might be beyond Egg's or other would-be Subaru supplier's means, but I think it's high-time to finally do it right, or not at all! Falling airplanes are just not acceptable due to inadequate engineering in today's computer analyzed, and cad-cam world! I think the people who really want Subarus for their planes should demand this and not settle for less. You vote with your pocketbook!

Please deposit $0.02 to hear the next rant.

The caveat..

And I'm betting that there is lots of G-loading on the propeller and propeller shaft in your line of work.

....is this. I hit a small residential powerline about 8 years ago, cut it easily while watching a blue ball of fire as the wires were grounded to each other by the prop:eek: I flew home but we decided to dissassemble and check the gears/bearings etc (sudden stoppage and all that)........The repair bill.......$23,000!! The caveat. A great and reliable gearbox but very susceptible to strikes damage....I dunno what a new one would cost.

Regards,

Last edited:
<<cast an engine block with an integral PSRU housing to really make this work. >>

Are you thinking about shared lubrication, or just alignment and stiffness?

<Falling airplanes are just not acceptable due to inadequate engineering in today's computer analyzed, and cad-cam world! I think the people who really want Subarus for their planes should demand this and not settle for less. You vote with your pocketbook! >>

Hear, hear!

<<cast an engine block with an integral PSRU housing to really make this work. >>

Are you thinking about shared lubrication, or just alignment and stiffness?

<Falling airplanes are just not acceptable due to inadequate engineering in today's computer analyzed, and cad-cam world! I think the people who really want Subarus for their planes should demand this and not settle for less. You vote with your pocketbook! >>

Hear, hear!
I think that to do it right would require a specialized block and probably a crankshaft that was purpose-designed for this application. A crankshaft that was built to be able to withstand the sustained high RPM and torsional stresses, together with an integral drive gear at the end would be a huge step forward. Could probably share lubrication if the engine was run on the heavy Aeroshells, but then again the standard Subaru car engine was designed with clearances for very light-weight oils in mind. So, another complication to be dealt with.
I'm definitely thinking of of the alignment and stiffness that you mentioned in an integral block-gearbox design. It will demand some engineering and computer time, as well as finding the manufacturing resources to do this right, but you Subaru guys should demand it be done (kinda like your lives depended on it!) or else spend your money elsewhere. You may be thinking by now that the Lyc/clone is exactly what you are looking for, but this IS experimental aviation, and I'm thinking that the Subaru could be a viable powerplant. But not as they are now. Again, J.M.O.

I'm glad I stayed out of this. When safety is involved everyone gets worked up. We all friends, no need get the blood pressure up, grab a beer or three.

.....I don't think there should be two tiers or levels of safety to start with..... therefore I'm using a Lycoming, like all sane intelligent people should. (HA, I'M KIDDING LIGHTEN UP FOLKS, A JOKE). :D

Amen to kicking back and keeping things in perspective.

I don't measure what we do in levels of safety but in levels of risk. Flying an experimental airplane will never be as safe as flying under Part 121. When it comes to IFR, night, or transporting the family, it is the perceived risk that keeps me from doing it. That perceived risk of course is not the same with each pilot, we all look at it through different windows. The amount of risk one will accept gets modified with experience and is directly related to the number of times serious stuff has gone wrong. By modified, I mean "well, I'm glad my wife or a friend was not along on that one" or "sure glad that didn't happen at night".

The reality of engines is, Lycoming is very safe (perceived risk low) and alternate engines somewhat less so (perceived risk a bit higher) although stuff happens most everyday across the board as indicated by the NTSB reports. I had a Lycoming in a previous airplane and liked it a lot. Maybe I got bored and needed something new to mess with. It took months to make the decision to go with Subaru. That was 2 engines, a super charger, and 3 PSRU's ago. A lot of money gone. Would I do it again - some days yes, some days no. The ride has been interesting although at times very frustrating.

I do believe the engine is solid, as tough as Lycoming but in a different more suave way. Provide it with fuel, electricity and air and it perks impressively and without hesitation. We just have to get the rest of this stuff to work better and settle down. I am committed to sticking with it to that end.

Yukon, you're Ok. Just park your sledge hammer in the corner of the hangar for a while. :)

Oh no, "Come on, be fair"? OK

GMC-
Come on, be fair. Tracy ran in the 160hp class because that is what that engine produced with marginally-effective motorcycle carbs early in the development process. Mazda rated that same motor at 140hp in autos. Tracy and others easily get 180 with his current FI system.
OK you're a rotary fan. I get it. I think rotaries are COOL, OK. I drove several rotary mazda's in the 70's. I don't want an argument but, come on, be real. When Tracy won in the 160hp class one year, that was something to be proud of, but don't tell me its a 180 or 200hp of equiv Lyc thrust, excuses not withstanding.

No offense but there's always an excuse for rotary performance, high fuel burn & loud exhaust bark. I've heard excuses for 10 yrs (really 20 yrs). There are always breakthrough's that will fix it. First, the Carb excuse, than the Fuel Injection's "mapping is not proper". I've heard it all before. I did not mention Tracy by name. He and his wife are super straight honest (and vary nice) folks. I like his approach & products. However any enthusiast is, well enthusiastic. I reject fuel injection is a panacea of HP or fuel economy on a Rotary (or any engine). Carb or FI on the same LYC does not change HP, at all (well may be 1%). People get confused with the 200HP IO360 angle-valve. Higher compression and different heads makes the extra 20HP, not FI. Yes FI can save fuel on a LYC, about 2% or 3% if you lean carefully, more for LOP ops may be. All I'm saying is Tracy competes in 160HP class and still does, and that was recently, I believe post motorcycle carbs.

FWIW, the output in a rotary is dependent on rpm, which is mostly a function of intake system capability. Current systems with the same engine BUT with FI and intakes tuned for ~6000rpm produce 180-200 hp, a bit more ~250 with peripheral porting, up to 300 with turbocharging.
Oh BOY here we go. :D Again I don't want to be disagreeable, but NO. The super custom, expensive defunct Power Sport rotaries (which I admired) where not stock 13B's by any means. They matched a 180hp Lyc's performance (which is great) but at the expense of massive extra fuel flow. Power Sport rated them @ 210HP. Tracy even warns not push HP too far above stock for reliable power. 6,000 rpm! Wow? It's working hard while the Lyc is chugging along to make the same power.

Van's fly-off was between stock factory prototype RV-8's w/ Lycs & two Power Sport RV-8's. The results where published in the RVator, facts meet the fan, real-world-side-by-fly-off data. The RV-8's w/ Power Sports IMHO where the best of the bred, w/ nice aerodynamic cowls & cooling system. The Rotary RV-8's (btw one later crashed due to an electrical problem) are better than a typical roll-your-own stock 13B, in my opinion. Nothing wrong w/ a stock 13B + RWS parts and it's a bargain compared to Power Sport's $40,000? A RWS setup is half or less. Still the Power Sport planes where beauties, but they where heavier & louder (as measured by dB meters). The killer was FF, 13gal/hr verses the Lyc's 9gal/hr, while doing the same thing in the air. OUCH! All factual & no bull. Still the Power Sport 8's turned in impressive & respectful performance. I hope they come back.

Excuses & rationalizations where made about the Power Sport RV-8's fuel burned. The FI was not tuned or something? The fact is rotaries are just fuel hungry, always have & always will be. This is consistent w/ rotary Mazda's on wheels, lousy gas millage, but a Porsche 911 does as well. You can't complain about 18-20 mpg, its a sports car not a Prius. A RV is a sport plane.

"but a Lyc is made to run at 2,700 RPM all day long" ...BS FLAG, or at least misleading!
No, it's true not Bee Ess. Let me rephrase, there's no Lyc restriction (time or otherwise) on 100% power or 2,700 RPM (unless the prop's restricted), period, end O-story. Lycs are build like fort knox's.

2700 is relatively slow rpm; but a Lyc might, or might not, be producing full rated power depending on the situation, prop, etc. Lyc claims peak hp numbers that might be achievable under perfect conditions, everyone knows that a Lyc will not last at full power for extended periods of time in the real world, particularly when leaned- they recommend use around 60% of peak hp most the time, don't they?
NO NOT PERFECT, NORMAL CONDITIONS!

First, the air-box & pipe's for Lycs in RV's are effiecent, making rated power or more w/ out question @ sea level atmo, std day & 2,700 RPM. YES, you're right 2,700 RPM may not be 100% power, if MAP is less than 29" (such as flying at altitude). Pwr may not be 100% on takeoff with a fixed prop, which does not allow full RPM. This applies to any engines, but auto engines can take a bigger hit with fixed props and poor induction/exhaust pipes.

To be CLEAR: Lycs have NO limits on making 100% HP. Lycs can and do routinely make 100% pwr unless there's weird induction/exhaust restrictions, which is not the case with most RV's. Fact most LYCS in RV's are capable of making more power than stock, not less. They are quasi de-rated, conservatively. Lycs have another advantage, many custom "hot rod" parts for induction, exhaust, ignition, with many vendors. There are three "Lyc" engine vendors as well. Alternative engine guys don't have this.

Flying into less dense air does reduce HP, but that applies to any ATMO engine. However less air density reduces cooling at altitude, which is a problem for turbo/blown engines, which can run hot at altitude. HP does not reduce with altitude but cooling does which is a problem with the supercharged Subie.

I've raced my RV-4 several time, wide open throttle, on the deck, 2750 RPM, all day. Temps where in the green. It's totally fine, ask Lyc engineering, no restrictions on 100% pwr. Lyc does recommend 75% for max engine life. Some Lycs double TBO.

You mention PROPS. Another advantage of Lycs, they have hydraulic constant speed prop capability; most alternative engines have fixed or a less desirable electric wood/glass props, which are not as efficient as a metal props (BA Hartzell or Sensenich-fixed). Prop selection is another reason alternative engines are ham strung, low efficiency props. The LYC is a low RPM torque engine which can even "pull" a fixed prop on takeoff. A fixed prop on a Subie or Mazda will be hurt more on takeoff & climb than on a Lyc. MT blades are not as efficient as a metal BA hartzell.

The rotaries can hum leaned, at rated power (5000-7000 rpm), as long as you want, with minimal wear and no fear of damage.
OK that's good, because rotary engines are so fuel inefficient, they need to lean aggressively. Wankel's drink gasoline like a sailor drinks booze on shore leave. A Lyc can be leaned w/ out restriction at 75% pwr and is still more fuel efficient, even at full rich power than a rotary leaned.

I agree with your comments as far as most reciprocating engines (ie, Subi and Chev, even Lycs) motors are concerned, the Suzuki is probably an exception- designed for continuous 5000 rpm freeway cruise. The internal stress rises (exponentially?) in a reciprocating engine as rpm increases- think of the mechanical stress involved with the pistons/rods pounding (accelerating and stopping) with each rotation of the crankshaft, particularly with large bore (Lyc) engines.
Lycs are designed for airplanes, to directly drive a prop in the 2,200-2,700 RPM ball park. The 2,700rpm RED LINE is conservative, by design not weakness. A Lyc can turn faster but does not need to. There's no Lyc time or stress limit on making 100% HP. I can fly 100% power all day long or 2,700 RPM. In the winter its easy to make more than 100% w/ dense air. Lycs are not WORKING or breathing hard at rated pwr; they're under-tuned, under-stressed for reliability. They chug along at 75% or 100% rated power, as designed.

Last edited:
The high hp Subes have forged steel, nitrided cranks just like a Lycoming except they are way stiffer due to crank pin overlap and much better supported with a bearing on each side of each throw.

Back onto the subject of PSRUs. Integral ones would weigh less but you'll never see that with an affordable auto based engine. Casting a new block with drive casing would make it way more than a Lycoming.

Car gearboxes bolt on just fine thank you and can handle staggering amounts of hp like 1500+HP in the case of a 2JZ Toyota with 4 bolts and two dowel pins. For the sake of a few pounds saved going integral- nobody will be doing this. The bell housing makes a nice space to hold a torsional damper as well and these are really important. On the Sube, the bell housing is integral already so little weight saving would be possible.

A one speed gearbox design is not rocket science at all and does not need a NASA budget to be built. Using pre-existing gears from a OEM heavy duty auto/ truck source reduces costs considerably and ensures good quality and low cost. Alternately, either commercially available quick change spur gears or even custom spur gears are cheap. In fact all the materials right down to a commercially available torsional damper are cheap. The case is far more expensive to either cast in small quantity or CNC out of billet. The torsional testing and long run validation will cost more than building the first box by a long shot especially with fuel prices today but both steps should be done.

Last edited:
The high hp Subes have forged steel, nitrided cranks just like a Lycoming except they are way stiffer due to crank pin overlap and much better supported with a bearing on each side of each throw.

Back onto the subject of PSRUs. Integral ones would weigh less but you'll never see that with an affordable auto based engine. Casting a new block with drive casing would make it way more than a Lycoming.

Car gearboxes bolt on just fine thank you and can handle staggering amounts of hp like 1500+HP in the case of a 2JZ Toyota with 4 bolts and two dowel pins. For the sake of a few pounds saved going integral- nobody will be doing this. The bell housing makes a nice space to hold a torsional damper as well and these are really important.

A one speed gearbox design is not rocket science at all. Using pre-existing gears from a OEM heavy duty auto/ truck source reduces costs considerably and ensures good quality and low cost. Alternately, either commercially available quick change spur gears or even custom spur gears are cheap. In fact all the materials right down to a commercially available torsional damper are cheap. The case is far more expensive to either cast in small quantity or CNC out of billet. The torsional testing and long run validation will cost more than building the first box by a long shot especially with fuel prices today but both steps should be done.

Well, it sounds like you have the technology down pat and it should all work just fine! I guess that settles it. Maybe Lycoming should take a look at Subaru's crankshaft since it's so superior. They could call the new one Gen II.

The only thrust tests I have seen measured static thrust. The thrust of any given engine and prop combination will change significantly as the airspeed changes, and the relationship between thrust and speed will depend on prop blade angle, blade twist, prop rpm, prop diameter, etc, etc. Some of the things that increase static thrust will decrease thrust at normal airspeeds. It is not possible to take thrust results at zero speed and draw any conclusions about performance in a flying aircraft.

Static thrust is a very useful number only if you plan to pull stumps with your aircraft, but it is meaningless for a flying aircraft.

These tests were not trying to establish flight thrust, they were trying to determine relative hp compared to other popular engines. With the same prop this can be a valid way to determine hp. In fact, we use test clubs to determine hp changes based on the hp absorbtion curve supplied by the engine or club manufacturer.

Whether static thrust translates into more flying performance requires flight testing to validate and the side by side test is the easiest way to quantify relative performance in the shortest time with best accuracy. This confirms the whole package performance as well from drive losses, prop efficiency and cooling drag perspectives and in the end this is what we are really concerned about.

Last edited:
These tests were not trying to establish flight thrust, they were trying to determine relative hp compared to other popular engines. With the same prop this can be a valid way to determine hp. In, fact we use test clubs to determine hp changes based on the hp absorbtion curve supplied by the engine or club manufacturer.
Ahh. OK. I misunderstood. I agree that if the exact same prop is used on all engines, then static tests would allow comparison.

I must have missed the reported test results of Lycomings vs alternative engines where they all had the same prop. Have those test results been posted anywhere?

Well, it sounds like you have the technology down pat and it should all work just fine! I guess that settles it. Maybe Lycoming should take a look at Subaru's crankshaft since it's so superior. They could call the new one Gen II.

Sarcasm aside, the technology used it the Subaru crankshaft wont necessarily work in the Lyc, due to such things as air cooling, bore, stroke, and b/s ratio, just to name a few.

Build a Lyc like a Sube, and the main bearings would end up 4 or 5" in diameter, crank pins same, otherwise pin overlap not possible.

Now, if you will, just imagine what that crank would weigh------and dont forget that there is a couple more of those huge main journals.

Folks, apples and oranges are both fruits, and they are both round, but they are still very different. Much like a car engine, and an aircraft engine.

Anybody out there ever make a pie with oranges???

Sarcasm aside, the technology used it the Subaru crankshaft wont necessarily work in the Lyc, due to such things as air cooling, bore, stroke, and b/s ratio, just to name a few.

Build a Lyc like a Sube, and the main bearings would end up 4 or 5" in diameter, crank pins same, otherwise pin overlap not possible.

Now, if you will, just imagine what that crank would weigh------and dont forget that there is a couple more of those huge main journals.

Folks, apples and oranges are both fruits, and they are both round, but they are still very different. Much like a car engine, and an aircraft engine.

Anybody out there ever make a pie with oranges???

Perhaps the most important reason it wouldn't work is the temp range of Lycoming verses a liquid cooled engine. If Sub ever hit 400F it would be toasted oranges.

Thank You Professor

Good point I did not really think about it, but now you mention it, I see that. Thank you Professor Kevin :D. I'm thinking what's more valuable is along the lines of real world in-flight side-by-side performance. That is the PROOF, performance in the air, like the Power Sport v Lycoming fly-off Van did.

Like I always say, my Lyc is for sale, as soon as the subie's and mazda's start winning races and passing me and the gas pump.

A manly man crank

ha ha may be so, but seriously Lyc uses the best materials and processes. The difference is the Lyc crank does have to WORK HARD or harder than a car engines crank, thus they're made like a brick outhouse. It's got to take prop loads and pounding from 4 jugs, each with over twice the displacement of a subie.

Not withstanding AD's from a batch of bad poor QC cranks, cranks made in the 50's or 60's are still flying on their 3rd or 4th rebuild. The crank is not life limited and are made to take the abuse. Still there are limits to engineering, but forging and steel alloys to make cranks has not significantly changed (for the better) in 50 years.

NEW forging methods like Electro-Slag Remelting (ESR) (used by Superior) or Vacuum Arc Remelting (VAR) (used by Lycoming ECI) are NOT significantly different or BETTER. ESR is just more environmentally friendly or more automated. VAR requires more work due to the "remelt" part, but this assures a high quality forging, free of inclusion of manganese sulfide and calcium aluminate. Careful inspection can find these inclusions if they do form. Cranks are of course are checked carefully (or should be). New, better steel alloy materials? There's nothing new under the sun with steel alloys, at least for crankshafts.

There are engineering reasons to choose a particular process or alloy (and you stick with it). You don't change the process or materials which have worked for a 1/2 century or more. Frankly the problems with Continental's cranks occurred after a change to new methods of smelting and forging. Lycoming's issues where also in part due to changes in the forging process, to NEW and "modern". The vendor also obviously dropped the QC inspection ball as well. They went back to the original process. Some times old things are good. That is what I tell myself as I get older.

Which one looks more stout, the Subie or Lyc? (The Lyc crank is the manly one on the right :D )

WARNING THIS IS A JOKE; DO NOT TAKE IT SERIOUSLY; THE SUBIE CRANK IS ADEQUATELY ENGINEERED FOR ITS APPLICATION. THERE IS NO WEAKNESS WITH THE BOTTOM END OF A SUBARU ENGINE. LYC CRANKS ARE LARGER TO COPE WITH GREATER DISPLACEMENT AND DIRECT PROP LOADS AND AS WELL IS DESIGNED SO IT HAS AN EXCELLENT 50 YEAR RECORD OF RELIABILITY AND SERVICE.
pumpcrank7jq.jpg

Last edited:
I'll take the 5-main crank all day long. I hope you know why.

Last edited:
Ahh. OK. I misunderstood. I agree that if the exact same prop is used on all engines, then static tests would allow comparison.

I must have missed the reported test results of Lycomings vs alternative engines where they all had the same prop. Have those test results been posted anywhere?

No you didn't miss anything, if I remember correctly the props were not the same in these tests so the results are not really scientific. These tests only showed that hp was in the ballpark with different props. It was no surprise that a 2.5 running a bunch of boost beat the Lycoming numbers and showed the same performance in the side by side flight test between Robert and Dan or that a turbo EZ30 running a bit of boost also bettered the 360s numbers. Thousands of Subarus are driven every day that put out 50-100% more power than a 360 but this is hardly the point in an airplane. It has to last for 2000 hours putting out 200 for takeoff and 150 for cruise.

Speed vs. fuel burn is the biggie and we'll throw in the weight as well. Only when a good side by side is done can relative performances of the packages be demonstrated. It is doubtful that the Subes in this test were close on fuel burn to Dan's IO.

Last edited:
Thread Hi-jack

honda.jpg

This would be the end of Subaru conversions and Lycomings would be on the endangered list. I hope they build the factory in my hometown.:rolleyes:

Now if they would just get them to put this aircraft quality engine in a generator (to help avoid liablity), we could buy the reasonably priced generator, use the inverter for solar panels on our house, and put the engine in our experimental. The Japanese would win the war.

I have my flame suit on.;)

Oh, yea, and Captain John could arrange a group buy for us all.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with a "good" Lycoming crank otherwise they'd be blowing up all the time. Likewise the Sube cranks have real engineering, metallurgy and validation behind them and are very well regarded in racing where specific outputs and rpm (ie stress) far exceed anything seen in the aircraft world by a couple orders of magnitude. Obviously they are not wimpy or weak in any way. One crank is designed for a 6L low rpm 4 banger and the other for a 2.2 or 2.5L high rpm 4 banger. The mechanical requirements are vastly different and looks can be deceiving to the untrained eye.

Both cranks were designed they way they were for many reasons by smart people. That being said, any crank can be broken and if you get enough fatigue cycles, any crank will break eventually. Race cranks and rods have a strict hour limit then they are just tossed. Absolutely the safest way to go. Magnafluxing is a valid way to check for existing cracks but does not ensure that the part will last through the next inspection cycle and indeed, they sometimes don't- both in aircraft and automotive engines.

Let's get this thread back on topic. PSRUs.

Last edited:
....Let's get this thread back on topic. PSRUs.

OK. I flew this afternoon and GEN3 did not make unusual noises or come apart or fail in any way. It registered 116F operating temperarture. The unit seems all right and sure launches the RV quickly. :)

Beyond that, I have nothing to add to this thread.

Flying in 38F weather with 14 gallons of fuel on board sure is fun...the thing really wants to go...but it was a short flight, I need to buy some fuel.

Let's get this thread back on topic. PSRUs.

OK, lets do that. You say PSRU because you don't think a geared engine, meaning an engine block cast with an integral gearcase, is feasible from a cost standpoint, if I read your previous posts correctly. Nevermind the fact that others like Rotax have gone that route. You also say that a bolt-on transmission attatched to a race engine pushing 1500 horsepower works just fine, thank you!
It's not the driveline, it's what's attached to it and what it's asked to do. Take that race engine and transmission, throttle it back to around 200 horsepower and hang a Hartzell on the output shaft and see how long it lasts. If it doesn't break in a few minutes, add a few gyrations while the prop is running at 2700 RPMs.
Matching components involved in producing power and driving a propeller with it is not the province of the backyard tinkerer, in my opinion, much less so selling said components to the public just because normal regulations on what is deemed airworthy don't apply here. Look at Lycoming's propeller application charts for what prop works with a certain engine, but if you use a different mag or change the compression ratio by the smallest amount, then that prop isn't approved anymore but a different one may be. Who's the controlling and approving engineering authority for these cobbled together drive systems? Don't need anyone overseeing this 'cause it's experimental?
Fine! Just be careful where you fly; Your right to kill yourself should not override my right not to have car engines falling on me.

Nevermind the fact that others like Rotax have gone that route.

This what I find "confusing". There are Rotax 912S (100HP) flying with over 4,000 hours on the engines and gear boxes in Europe with little loss of cylinder compression or wear in the gear box. (Except for thrust washer tightening / replacement per Rotax every 100 hours.)

Like has been mentioned in several posts...Why can't we build one that lasts? Can't "they" at least look at the Rotax gear box and say; "Make me one like this to fit the Subie." Use engine oil with a gear additive for lubrication and cooling (like Rotax) and have done with it. Look at what works and learn from it. There are transmissions that bolt right to these engines. Build a 2.43 to 1 gear box that bolts on and call it good. Reinventing the wheel can be costly...in many ways.

Last edited:
OK, lets do that. You say PSRU because you don't think a geared engine, meaning an engine block cast with an integral gearcase, is feasible from a cost standpoint, if I read your previous posts correctly. Nevermind the fact that others like Rotax have gone that route. You also say that a bolt-on transmission attatched to a race engine pushing 1500 horsepower works just fine, thank you!
It's not the driveline, it's what's attached to it and what it's asked to do. Take that race engine and transmission, throttle it back to around 200 horsepower and hang a Hartzell on the output shaft and see how long it lasts. If it doesn't break in a few minutes, add a few gyrations while the prop is running at 2700 RPMs.
Matching components involved in producing power and driving a propeller with it is not the province of the backyard tinkerer, in my opinion, much less so selling said components to the public just because normal regulations on what is deemed airworthy don't apply here. Look at Lycoming's propeller application charts for what prop works with a certain engine, but if you use a different mag or change the compression ratio by the smallest amount, then that prop isn't approved anymore but a different one may be. Who's the controlling and approving engineering authority for these cobbled together drive systems? Don't need anyone overseeing this 'cause it's experimental?
Fine! Just be careful where you fly; Your right to kill yourself should not override my right not to have car engines falling on me.

Not sure you are reading this right.

First, a car transmission is not designed to have a prop stuck on the tailshaft. My reference was to another post questioning the stiffness of a bolted on gearbox. Obviously not a problem structurally if we can transmit 1500hp with only a few bolts and 2 dowel pins holding it on.

I'm not advocating sticking a car trans on there for a PSRU. I'm saying that there are 70 pound aluminum 5 speed transmissions that happily transmit 600 hp for a very long time, surely we can design a one speed one to do that job on an airplane for 200hp and 50 lbs. Rotax does it with about 15 lbs. for 100 hp. The Rotax 912/914s are clean sheet aviation engine designs hence the integral gearbox- and the aviation type costs unfortunately.

The idea with car engines is to take a proven $2500 engine, bolt on a proven $5000 gearbox and save the other $10K for fuel. Now the commercial packages are not cheaper than a Lycoming so this cost structure only works for DIYers. I guess the rest just want something different and are willing to pay more. I can only guess why that might be.

Egg has just had the EZ30 tested in flight with the MT prop most clients are using by MT engineers. Same sort of test Hartzell does.

Quite right, you can pretty much do whatever you want in experimental aviation and nobody is looking at gearbox design any more than they look at any engine you want to use including non-certified ones. If you are worried about this so much better hang up the RV and get a Cessna, that way EVERYTHING has been certified and TSO'd for you and you can rest easy that nothing will go wrong.

Also quite right that many PSRUs have been offered by "backyard tinkerers" if you will. Some have been disasters or very short lived, others have proven themselves very reliable. Some designed by P engineers have also failed. Lesson here is anything mechanical can fail even if United Technologies spent $4M developing it.

Last edited:
Not sure you are reading this right.

First, a car transmission is not designed to have a prop stuck on the tailshaft.

The idea with car engines is to take a proven $2500 engine, bolt on a proven $5000 gearbox and save the other $10K for fuel. Now the commercial packages are not cheaper than a Lycoming so this cost structure only works for DIYers. I guess the rest just don't want something different and are willing to pay more. I can only guess why that might be.

If you are worried about this so much better hang up the RV and get a Cessna, that way EVERYTHING has been certified and TSO'd for you and you can rest easy that nothing will go wrong.

Ross, first let me say that you are a real gentleman on this forum, calmly and lucently explaining your positions. I apologize if I have come across as a wise*** in some of my replies.
I know you weren't advocating hanging a propeller on the tailshaft of a car transmission, I was just making the point of no matter how strong the unit was it would not work in this application.

I'm not so worried about this because I'm building a recognized, proven design, and that I get to determine the build quality of the plane. I'll be hanging a Mattituck experimental on it; not certified but I'm satisfied that it is another proven unit. I believe that trying to adapt a car engine, even a great one like the Subaru to aircraft use by using bolt-on drives just isn't strong or reliable enough. Can you advise of the highest time Subaru now flying (or has flown) that has remained in an "as installed" configuration? How many hours with no parts or assemblies replaced? How many have delivered on the dream you outlined where the extra $10,000 has been used for gas?

As to the folks who you don't think want anything different or willing to pay more-peace of mind ranks way up there, I believe. I know the the Lycoming sounds pretty rough compared to the silky-smoothness of a precision built, modern auto engine, but when you are flying over unknown terrain at night, and when the only thing you can see are the lights in your cockpit, that sound is really soothing. The fact that you really don't worry too much about that sound suddenly changing or stopping altogether is why they are perceived as bargains, even at their "aircraft" prices.
Regards, Ron

Egg has just had the EZ30 tested in flight with the MT prop most clients are using by MT engineers. Same sort of test Hartzell does.

Correction, Ross. The EGG factory had nothing to do with the MT vibration survey and the H6 engine. I set it up with MT Germany and Andy Parish flew his airplane to Deland for the test. It had to be done to get the overhaul time reset to 1500 hours from 200 hours.

The survey was not done at the EGG factory because Jan never had the H6/MT combination on his airplane. They were focused on the Quinti/Sensenich system after the batch of MT's were sold. The prop was surveyed with the 2.5 engine and we knew it was OK with the H6 as it is smoother, but the overhaul time was stuck at 200 hours without the formal survey. That survey was done with the GEN3 PSRU and came in quite well, but the official word has not yet been published by MT as far as I know.

Correction, Ross. The EGG factory had nothing to do with the MT vibration survey and the H6 engine. I set it up with MT Germany and Andy Parish flew his airplane to Deland for the test. It had to be done to get the overhaul time reset to 1500 hours from 200 hours.

The survey was not done at the EGG factory because Jan never had the H6/MT combination on his airplane. They were focused on the Quinti/Sensenich system after the batch of MT's were sold. The prop was surveyed with the 2.5 engine and we knew it was OK with the H6 as it is smoother, but the overhaul time was stuck at 200 hours without the formal survey. That survey was done with the GEN3 PSRU and came in quite well, but the official word has not yet been published by MT as far as I know.

Thanks for the clarification David. I'm just glad the study has been done.

I'm a bit of a chicken but I don't fly at night cross country or over mountains single engine- any single engine. It's interesting that many people find what I do risky but they are ok flying over the rocks at night because they have a certified engine. We had 3 more people killed last month over the rocks- rod failure on a certified engine. You have no chance at night in this terrain and very little even over less demanding, unlit terrain at night with an engine stoppage.

I have flat prairie and daylight on my side. Who is taking the bigger risk?

Something some people may not have thought of. We've had 6 people killed in the last year here with certified engine stoppages and a few non-fatal forced landings. It can happen to anyone. Fly safe my friends.

An engineers comment?

Ron, I'm not being snide here, but I'm asking, are you a ME? PEME? You are simply incorrect about non-unit gearboxes being strong enough to handle the load. Virtually every Indy car, and F1 car uses the engine as a stressed member of the the chassis. The gearbox has the entire rear suspension load and the load of the wing on it for 500 miles at 200 mph. Please don't think those loads are less than a prop would be. These are cars yes but in reality they are inverted aircraft being forced to the pavement by their flying surfaces. I cannot remember the last time an indy car split in half by having the gearbox break off. A non-unit bolted system will work fine if properly engineered. I am certainly concerned about failure. Any one SELLING a unit to the public should do stress testing, and torsional vibration testing as well. But everybody here should show some perspective, The origin of this thread was about a gearbox failure. The pilot landed safely and the prop DIDN'T fall off. Problems, sure. An epidemic, hardly. Ross always offers a reasoned logical comment, this forum illogically offers scorn. GMC your posts of the two cranks is an equally illogical jibe. ANY good engineer would tell you that the Subaru crank is BETTER and designed with more margin than the Lycoming. The Lyc crank is perfectly fine and has years of refinement behind it, but if you look at the two units rationally you have to say the Subaru is a superior CRANKSHAFT. If you want to bolt a prop directly to the end, no. But due to the higher RPM design you wouldn't do so and you know it George. The comparison was offered in jest, I know. The sad part is that there are tons of people that view these forums that DON'T. Most participants are here to try to learn something or be entertained. I've restricted my posting because I can tell everyone the absolute truth and recieve nothing but ridicule. Ross handles it well, I do not. This section of the forum doesn't deserve as decent a guy as Ross. I limit my postings to times when for the sake of accuracy I fear the non-engineering types will be tainted by conjecture. GMC for your anti-rotary bias, (and don't think you don't have one because you had an RX-7 in '82), you should look on the Aircraft Rotary Engine Site mentioned by the rotary fan. There is a DYNO test of the renesis with p-port mods producing 265 HP. at 7500. The rotary will run at 6000 RPM until you shut it off. Loads at 7500 only marginally more. Remember that the much vaunted turbines run at continously high RPMs 10K and more so a good PSRU can be designed for those RPM's as well. The entire forum is ill-served if we speak opinion and don't lable it as just that, opinion. I also don't want to treat any alternate-engine post with footnotes. I have stopped because posting here is no longer any FUN.
Bill Jepson

Bill,
GMC's crankshaft post was a lame attempt at humor! Ha ha ha! Subaru crank is a great CAR crank, and I am sure he meant no disrespect to Subaru automobile owners.

And I'm betting that there is lots of G-loading on the propeller and propeller shaft in your line of work. I think that the Subaru is a good powerplant with proven strong internals, but I think that to be viable in this application, someone is going to have to figure out how to cast an engine block with an integral PSRU housing to really make this work. Such a re-design would have the added benefit of being even more compact and lightweight. There are a lot of aftermarket foundries now that are casting various car blocks and cylinder heads. The pricing is apparently not so high as to keep folks from buying them for their cars, so I think it is within reason to try to get something like this for your planes. This might be beyond Egg's or other would-be Subaru supplier's means, but I think it's high-time to finally do it right, or not at all! Falling airplanes are just not acceptable due to inadequate engineering in today's computer analyzed, and cad-cam world! I think the people who really want Subarus for their planes should demand this and not settle for less. You vote with your pocketbook!

AMEN RON!!!!! Car engines are engineered for CARS! Did anyone think about the safety of the people on ground that are possible victims of falling parts from one of these contraptions?

BTW: I hope someone's lawyer is learning how to spell Eggenfellner.

BTW2: THATS NOT GEORGE'S DAWG, THATS GEORGE. Bad hair day?

Car engines are engineered for CARS! Did anyone think about the safety of the people on ground that are possible victims of falling parts from one of these contraptions?

BTW: I hope someone's lawyer is learning how to spell Eggenfellner.

BTW2: THATS NOT GEORGE'S DAWG, THATS GEORGE. Bad hair day?

Eeeasy there, big fellow! I'm not a big fan of lawyering-up every time I've not had things work out as I expected them to. I think it's kinda your own dang fault if you pass on the tried, tested, and recommended powerplant in favor of Pie-in-the-Sky Engines, Inc.,L.L.C.
Lawyers haven't had much success in making aviation better for us, no matter how much they've been "involved".

<<I've restricted my posting because I can tell everyone the absolute truth and recieve nothing but ridicule......The entire forum is ill-served if we speak opinion and don't lable it as just that, opinion......I have stopped because posting here is no longer any FUN. >>

I've repeated Bill's comments here because I hope everyone will think about them. Far too many professional engineers have abandoned the forums....and we all lose a great deal because of it.

Bill, I really appreciate it when you post. I'm not a PE, but I'm absolutely convinced airplanes fly based on science and engineering, not opinion. If I write something and you want to polish the pins, please jump in or send me a PM.

<<I've restricted my posting because I can tell everyone the absolute truth and recieve nothing but ridicule......The entire forum is ill-served if we speak opinion and don't lable it as just that, opinion......I have stopped because posting here is no longer any FUN. >>

Far too many professional engineers have abandoned the forums....and we all lose a great deal because of it.

Boy aint that the truth.

Bickering doesnt help any of us.

Thanks for the post, Dan.

... but I'm absolutely convinced airplanes fly based on science and engineering, not opinion.

Amen!!!

Back to the subject of PSRU's, I haven't been able to find any failure reports on Tracy Crook's RD-1B or RD-1C gearboxes. Looks like the engineering may be good in this case. Anyone have any data otherwise?

Woooo big guy

GMC your posts of the two cranks is an equally illogical jibe. ANY good engineer would tell you that the Subaru crank is BETTER and designed with more margin than the Lycoming. GMC for your anti-rotary bias, (and don't think you don't have one because you had an RX-7 in '82), you should look on the Aircraft Rotary Engine Site mentioned by the rotary fan. Bill Jepson
Bill first it was a joke lighten up. The Subie crank was ENGINEERED BY ENGINEERS. I put a big placard on the picture that shoud do it.

There is no problem with the Subie crank, OK. Your comments are about personality not facts. You say the Subie crank has "More Margin" but you don't know that; it's probably true, because the crank in a little car engine that has LESS loads. The Lyc is what over 5 liters and has a prop hanging off it. A Subaru is 1.8 liters and connected to a trans through a flex plate? You would expect the crank would be lighter in a small displacement car engine. No offense intended, but I have to laugh at how Subie lovers wax poetic about their CRANK and 5 bearing supports, albeit 5 small journals but adequate. I never said the bottom end of a Subie was weak EVER. I love Subies and drove a '82 4-door GL Subie for 11 years and I'm sad I sold it with 130 K on it. I loved that 1.8L push rod Subie engine (not OHC), 5 speed manual and front wheel drive.

As far as anti-rotary, you no not what you speak of. I have convinced people to use rotary engines for their plane and there are web sites to prove it. If I was going "alternative" it would be a rotary, a turbo rotary. :eek: I know a turbocharged rotary at altitude can do nicely on speed, fuel econ and noise is moot a +12,000 feet. That's not the kind of flying I do, so the normal aspirated Lyc is better for me. Acro, Formation, local X-C, airport hopping, with a once or twice big X-C.

I owned a RX2 and RX3, OK. My friend today owns a RX8 (with the RENESIS engine) and she has to put oil in it between changes (expensive synthetic oil only) and it gets lousy milage, fact. But she gets a big smile on her face (wait for it) when she punches the throttle, winding the Wankel out and it comes on the pipes (like my 2-stroke dirt bike, weeeee). No put down, just facts. You can't pretend there's no down side to the Wankel. With gas prices I suspect the Wankel days are numbered even for Mazda. Racing of all kinds, the rotary is great. However you can't debate me on my personality because I have none, but FACTS you should stick to. Where am I wrong?

PS I read the Aircraft Rotary Engine Site, top to bottom to bottom and love it. I have talked to Tracy at length and read his book. I know all the good, bad and the ugly of wankels. Now if you want to put down Lycs OK, but it really doesn't matter. When the prop meets the air, all the talk stops. Again the Power Sport RV-8's did very well and performed flawlessly, matching the 180HP lyc. Again to be the negative jerk I'm, I have to say they fuel flow was terrible, noise brought out the airport manager, plus they weighed more. Other than that they are very cool engines.

Last edited:
Amen!!!

Back to the subject of PSRU's, I haven't been able to find any failure reports on Tracy Crook's RD-1B or RD-1C gearboxes. Looks like the engineering may be good in this case. Anyone have any data otherwise?

Tracy had some bearing issues on his test drive long ago but came up with a fix and warned the few customers who had his drives before anything bad happened. I have not heard of any other problems with his current drives either.

Tracy is a really smart guy and he has put a lot of thought and flight testing into his drives including unique ways of solving TV problems. Note his drives are based on Ford automotive gear sets and are very reasonably priced. His new 6 pinion design should be able to handle quite a bit more power.

Tracy had some bearing issues on his test drive long ago but came up with a fix and warned the few customers who had his drives before anything bad happened. I have not heard of any other problems with his current drives either.

Tracy is a really smart guy and he has put a lot of thought and flight testing into his drives including unique ways of solving TV problems. Note his drives are based on Ford automotive gear sets and are very reasonably priced. His new 6 pinion design should be able to handle quite a bit more power.

Yeah, I think the bearing issues were with the RD-1A. From what I read, he took good care of the people with the older drives.

Facts?

You say the Subie crank has "More Margin" but you don't know that; it's probably true, because the crank in in a little car engine that has LESS loads. The Lyc is what over 5 liters and has a prop hanging off it. A Subaru is 1.8 liters and connected to a trans through a flex plate?

Fact #1) Less loads? A car engine crankshaft needs a higher torsional load margin because you can "pop" the clutch on the engine. Kind of hard to do that on a Lycoming, even with a CS prop. The prop hanging off the crankshaft results in side and thrust loading of the bearings, something the car engine crank is (rightly) not designed for.

Fact #2) 1.8 Liters? GMC, you just guessing here? Is guessing useful to anyone in this business? :rolleyes:

Facts?

Again the Power Sport RV-8's did very well and performed flawlessly, matching the 180HP lyc.

Again the Power Sport RV-8's did very well and performed flawlessly, beating the 180HP lyc.

There, fixed that for you. No charge.

The faster of the two Power Sport RV-8's beat the 200HP lyc. :rolleyes:

Tracy flys what he sells

Yeah, I think the bearing issues were with the RD-1A. From what I read, he took good care of the people with the older drives.
The whole story was Tracy was flying his own drive and putting on more hours than anyone. He did periodic inspections and found the issue. I recall something was coming lose. Service history or time in service is important. Tracy flies what he sells and puts more hours on his drives than his customers, so he's ahead of the curve. That is all goodness.

Again the Power Sport RV-8's did very well and performed flawlessly, beating the 180HP lyc. There, fixed that for you. No charge. The faster of the two Power Sport RV-8's beat the 200HP lyc. :rolleyes:
You got me. Yea the 200HP was a dog and 9.5 mph slower than the 180HP (what?). Don't know why, probably too many demo flights and a tired engine? Here's the article, read and weep. The power sport did go faster by 1 or 4 mph. I was positive about the performance. You are right 4 mph faster and it only cost 4 gal/hr more fuel to do that. That's 1 gal for every MPH. If Van's planes had a SJ cowl they would have gone 5-8 mph faster. Still no lie I really liked the Power Sport and I'm impressed, but they also cost $40,000 and a Lyc 360 cost almost half that, plus it does not need an $9,000 electric MT prop.

Fact #1) Less loads? A car engine crankshaft needs a higher torsional load margin because you can "pop" the clutch on the engine. Kind of hard to do that on a Lycoming, even with a CS prop. The prop hanging off the crankshaft results in side and thrust loading of the bearings, something the car engine crank is (rightly) not designed for.

Fact #2) 1.8 Liters? GMC, you just guessing here? Is guessing useful to anyone in this business? :rolleyes:
Ted I like your style, you are keeping me honest. Does popping the clutch really cause more torsion? The issue really is not ultimate strength but fatigue, twisting harmonics going on several times a revolution (many thousands of load reversals per minute). That's the worry, harmonics and fatigue. It's just a matter of designing for it. That's why some Lyc cranks have counter weights (harmonic dampers), some don't. Its all by design as needed.

1.8 liters? OK, you got me, I was thinking of my old Subie, which was 1.8L. The Subaru EJ (4 cyl) engines go from 1.5L to 2.5L, I googled/wikipedia'ed it. Now I'm an expert. :) None of the Subie 4-bangers are 360 cu-in or 5.899 LITERS! Even Lyc 320 has over twice the displacement of the biggest Subie 4-cyl. People wounder why Lycs make more power at low RPM, they have over twice the displacement! That's why the Lycoming does not work hard to make its rated power. The Subie 3.0 Liter 6cyl Boxer is just over 1/2 the displacement of a Lyc 360 (I know they went to 3.6L in '07). Again mine is still bigger than yours. :rolleyes:

"There ain't no replacement for displacement" (unknown wise man)

Even more amazing is a MAZDA 13B is around 1.3 liters! The later RENESIS is considered a 2.6L engine. (Hard to calculate apples and apples displacement to a reciprocating engine.)

Last edited:
Interesting, but looong read :) But I'm not sure I get the real issue. Rotax 912 is the most numerous aircraft engine in the world, 200k units or something sold up till now. It has been using a gear unit all from the start. It is not fool proof by any means, if you mount a too heavy or slightly unbalanced propeller the gear or crank will break sooner or later. And if you descend with a "wrong" throttle setting above idle but where there is minimal or no load/torque on the propeller axle, you can also ruin the gear unit very fast. I don't think a constant speed propeller with varying aerodynamic damping will make things better.

I don't know (I could be totally lost here), but wouldn't a planetary gear fix all problems?

I don't know (I could be totally lost here), but wouldn't a planetary gear fix all problems?

I think it would be a great improvement if done properly. Much more gear contact area, shafts aligned in the same plane- which should be good for the flat Subaru motor, strong, bell-housing type enclosure. Lots of advantages in a planetary system.

The subject is an Egg gearbox failure. Does anyone have a dimensioned drawing of the actual components? Same for the flywheel assembly, with whatever sort of "damper" it might have? Third, mass moment of inertia for the propeller?

Without these things at minimum, (1) serious failure analysis is impossible, and (2) neither fans nor critics know the truth.

I've looked over Eggenfellner's website pretty thoroughly and one thing I can't find is where the actual engines come from. I mean, are they brand-new, in-the-crate motors straight from Subaru? Rebuilt from cars? Used?! :eek:

Also, the site says that there have been 500 sold. Dang, that's a whole lotta money!

The engines have been brand new from Subaru for the last several years. Before that, he was using some from low mileage cars that had unfortunate accidents.

To answer the q's about Tracy Crooks redrive- no problems reported. The issue mentioned earlier was from Tracy's original Ross drive. It developed noise and Tracy measured backlash at the Prop, later found to be caused movement related to the lack of a thrust bearing in the Ross design- it caused wear between the planet gear and housing flutes.

Tracy added a thrust bearing and fixed that problem in his design. He epoxied the planet race into the housing to further reduce play, now uses a drilled pin arrangement.

I believe Tracy once also marketed his redrives for the Subaru, but no longer mentions that fact on his website (probably because the demand from Mazda users has tested supply)

FWIW, the original drive, RD-1A used a 4 planet carrier- was designed to replace the Ross redrive. It was designed for 200hp apps. A needle bearing was upgraded to a ball bearing to increase TBO, then eventually replaced with a roller bearing. That redrive is no longer made; it was replaced with the RD-1B.

The RD-1B is a 2.176:1 reverse rotation drive that uses the 6-planet carrier from Fords' HD truck tranny.

RD-1C is a 2.85:1 normal rotation drive that also uses the 6-planet carrier, rated to 300hp. This redrive is recommended for high speed (higher power) engines (Renesis).

Last edited:
Back