What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N-number on Instrument Panel

Dan Langhout

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if it is REQUIRED to have your N-number displayed on the instrument panel? I have searched extensively both here and on the FAA web site (as well as the internet in general) and I can't seem to find any definitive guidance on the matter. If somebody knows and can point me to the reg, I'd appreciate it.

Hey Dan,

I don't know but without mine, I would be lost because I fly a lot of different airplanes and often start a radio anouncement and need to glance at the panel to see what my N# is mid-sentance :eek:

Here's a photo of how I did it.

photo%25201-3.JPG

Last edited:
Hey Dan,

I don't know but without mine, I would be lost because I fly a lot of different airplanes and often start a radio anouncement and need to glance at the panel to see what my N# is mid-sentance :eek:

I'm with Paul. I've got into the habit of always looking for the N# on the panel in rentals, so it's natural for me.

Its not required, but it sure helps, especially if others than you are going to talk on the radio.

bob

I was not asked about it during my inspection, but I did have an unmounted engraved plate to install if requested.

I did end up installing it later, put it in front of the right seat, that way anybody flying with me has it in "plane" view.

DSC06107.jpg

Last edited:
Seems common

I think every rental I have ever been in had it on the panel. I had been planning to include it on my panel (painted using a paint mask) but then got to wondering if there was a requirement for exact location - and that led to wondering if it was in fact required at all.

Standard on Most !!!

I think every rental I have ever been in had it on the panel. I had been planning to include it on my panel (painted using a paint mask) but then got to wondering if there was a requirement for exact location - and that led to wondering if it was in fact required at all.

.....Most all airplanes have it and is a good idea as it keeps you from forgetting who you are! Mike has the right idea, it can be remove if you or the next owner decides to change N numbers. This is far better than painting it or engraving it on. Thanks, Allan....:D

Yep...

I look at mine from rental habit almost every call. Now I need to upgrade the rest of the panel markings...
16bhbf4.jpg

I borrowed a friends Mooney

one day. After heading to hold area to do my runup, and ask for a radio check, I realized I did not remember the N number --- since I was heading for a towered field, I felt embarrassed. I finally asked another airplane at the hold line what my N number was --- wrote it in ink on my hand!

Too funny!
I probably would have been too embarrassed and would have taxied back, shut down, climbed out to take a look and start over.

After flying many years in my own Cherokee 140, I have found that without thinking I will report the N number of my long ago departed plane. Nobody has ever caught me so far.

one day. After heading to hold area to do my runup, and ask for a radio check, I realized I did not remember the N number --- since I was heading for a towered field, I felt embarrassed. I finally asked another airplane at the hold line what my N number was --- wrote it in ink on my hand!

Oh that is so FUNNY!!!

I went to a local trophy shop and had a nice set made up. I used the thin double sided tape they provided to mount them on my panel.

SkyviewDisplay_zps1b78db94.jpg

You can get them in just about any color combination, size, font and are removable if I ever decide to sell the airplane or I want a different style. They look real nice and cost me about $10.00 for both of them.

:cool:

Maybe this answers the original question.

All too easy to go into mental autopilot when you've switched mounts. I've done it several times when flying/instructing 3 different aircraft on the same day.

Paint

.....Most all airplanes have it and is a good idea as it keeps you from forgetting who you are! Mike has the right idea, it can be remove if you or the next owner decides to change N numbers. This is far better than painting it or engraving it on. Thanks, Allan....:D

Well, given that my N-number is painted in 12" high digits on the side of the fuselage, a painted number on the instrument panel would be the least of the problems.

elpk-uRsiVwrSCmFDft4srBUzspDjLVnhr8hdaKudXs71V1QAtvvbNASawLyBlEtGJWDyOK1QIViQhy_uc5h2v-ltqeZ9RNZ8O75XKjlkC9PAZHpL9vvfPdE1X1Zzkk-iIvN5879W_TWotxBh5AK1SVOyAVEMvRDwVkapDI5oJJa21AdxfMAMm6GHfXY9W1aIue0gLvQiXQNkOLkCKbnfIEbWaRZWH5EV1JDxCsFIVcE-IXaoIxU62Uope6YzwD_2bSjI7Y_BUMXI0EVlW1vFjkWSzpeBnR4BZPxu7DS1GuickajEerNxtQqKCEoNjr2I5-MfiImfaiBo38xdIkiw90AHnx_MdmL1LcUtjjGJW7FNBIf1Bq9Fu9KX-fAipFaOxR8fhic0bAVlqED5qu0Wvd6SBHPormDjiuHMVi2Kf5AoPbRLgdIB1UYpEfUSMpMfRs0ZlDiCKHbnf48dSFrSfdGpWvZSCipJyAuBGLWWvOikxTGhe3FnoV2P14Lkex1DqEytEXJ-IU7G1nJzkhsvMmkSm7s4BCLOIMeLi3tKfTHgP_6Ctzf9B4XAiv-8UeWn0yOxiK2mZC1LWJNSTV1f0VV57UnbcfugL7EuL7IKJ15gqt4ndMwJmZHDnscGy3l2Lo2Y3Q-vzCIzG81x4mGJSOOEmmsUblnGlN8z-PMDBnDQxon6xNFKf57FcD69MG5tbJShiDUolzPWtGemT4fPmiiBw=w1024-h766

So the consensus is that the number is highly desired but not REQUIRED?

Last edited:
Answer

Maybe this answers the original question.

All too easy to go into mental autopilot when you've switched mounts. I've done it several times when flying/instructing 3 different aircraft on the same day.

Thanks Mark! Thats the most direct documentation I've seen on this. I do think that I am going to go ahead and put it on there though - seems like the right thing to do.

Well, given that my N-number is painted in 12" high digits on the side of the fuselage, a painted number on the instrument panel would be the least of the problems.

Fuselage_paint.jpg

So the consensus is that the number is highly desired but not REQUIRED?

I want to see the rest of the paint job!

Bob

I get to fly a lot of different airplanes these days, and am always grateful when the builder puts the N-number in front of me. Certainly not "required", but one less thing to use up brain cells on when rolling onto the runway.

This morning, I was just flying "the orange Cassutt" - but I only had a handheld radio that I doubt anybody else could hear anyway.... ;)

Several years ago I flew a friends RV-6 over to my place to do the annual condition inspection. While returning it to him I mistakenly used my own N number. As I taxied in, the controller asked me if I had painted my airplane.
This one was red with a white stripe. Mine is white with a red stripe.
I embarrassingly replied that I had used my N number from habit.
He got a good laugh.

as a student pilot i would say its highly useful. the other day I had booked 2476M but due to a error in scheduling (me showing up 2 hours early) and a bad weather front coming in, i got take out 3077M. Both Piper Warriors 161s. I made my initial call as 2476M and my regularly scheduled instructor hopped on the radio and told me I wasn't in his plane. Whoops, ATC had a good laugh on that one too.

Back