-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:53 PM

I'm going to copy that. I have that throttle quadrant also.
RV-4 (N684ML) completed 3-17-19
KOCH Nacogdoches
Old 01-03-2014, 06:38 AM

That sure looks nice! I have read the first 8 pages of your thread, if you would do it again, what would you do different?
Old 01-09-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 G View Post
That sure looks nice! I have read the first 8 pages of your thread, if you would do it again, what would you do different?
Thank you for the kind words.

Would have built a rocket. All joking aside. I would do many many things differently. Some are documented on the link provided on post #1. Too many to list.

The next one will be better.
VAF 2022 paid VAF 704
The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weigh out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk. Further more, these are my opinions and not those of Van's Aircraft.

Last edited by AX-O : 01-09-2014 at 10:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-10-2014, 01:23 PM

Default That's a big one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX-O View Post
After a few weeks supporting formation flying, I am back to building. Like everything else on this project I keep over-thinking about possible solutions, hence the name DILEMMA for my plane. All I wanted to do was to install the remote ELT switch. I tried different locations then came up with this one after garage flying it for a while. It is out of the way of throttle operations and allows me to keep flying in an emergency. The remote switch is attached to a bracket under the side panel (not shown in pics).

Axel,

I have to say that's the closest to an F16 Throttle handle I have seen on an RV yet, nicely done!
http://www.aerotronicsllc.com/f16throttlegrip.htm

V/R
Smokey

PS:All it lacks (as you know) is a bunch more buttons and switches...

Last edited by smokyray : 01-10-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:02 AM

Pm me your phone number. Dont want to digress this build log. Thanks.
VAF 2022 paid VAF 704
The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weigh out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk. Further more, these are my opinions and not those of Van's Aircraft.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:13 AM

Wanted to give you guys an update. I now know why there is much less info on the finishing stuff on the web as compared to an empennage or wing. Its because people just want to finish!! forget posting.

Electrical system:
All the smoke has remained in the boxes. The only thing remaining is making the antenna wires (got the parts from SteinAir last week), running the wires and connecting the wing landing/strobe/nav lights.

Empennage:
Drilled the elevator horns (took forever) and set up the elevator rudder travel angles/stops. I still need to fill the tips.

I am finalizing the empennage fairing. Trying to figure out how to cut it and mount it. The small metal plate shown in so the tape between the Vert and hor stab can be stiff. it goes behind the tape (where the elevator horns would be).

I mounted the GPS and the 406 ELT antenna. I almost cried when I cut the hole on top of my nice fastback turtle deck. The GPS antenna is not centered because of clearance for the canopy.

Cont post below.
VAF 2022 paid VAF 704
Old 02-08-2014, 10:14 AM

Cont from above.

I also re-enforced the canopy skirts from the inside because the canopy was way too flexible for the winds around here. In doing that I changed the design of my canopy shock. There was too much torsional load on the canopy bulkhead. I made a support for the canopy on the aft portion out of carbon fiber arrows and fiberglass.

I am experimenting with a mod for my wheel pants to force the air around the tire vice letting the air figure out what to do in that location. I will cut the final shape once the wings are on.

VAF 2022 paid VAF 704

Last edited by AX-O : 02-08-2014 at 10:19 AM. Reason: replaced post place holder
Old 02-08-2014, 03:31 PM

Axel - the wheel pant mod looks a bit like the extra sub-pants Bob Axom would add prior to a race.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...5&postcount=10
Old 02-08-2014, 04:43 PM

Axel, you stole my idea on the inside canopy skirts. I posted earlier that my welder messed up the canopy frame in a few spots, so we decided to skirt the inside to cover up those ugly beads. Glad you showed me how to go about making it happen.
As for the ELT antenna, I saw one builder here put the antenna under the rear empennage fairing. That's how I'm going to do ours.
RV-4 (N684ML) completed 3-17-19
KOCH Nacogdoches
Old 02-08-2014, 04:51 PM

Arlie,
If you are using a 406 elt, that location wont work. The GPS antenna won't easily see the sats. You can call me if you want to talk about it. Dont want to derail my build log.

The canopy has been done for about 2 months. Should have posted the pics sooner. I am way behind on pictures.
VAF 2022 paid VAF 704

Last edited by AX-O : 02-08-2014 at 05:14 PM. Reason: spelling