What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airplane Accident?

N941WR

Legacy Member
My trip to the Emergency Room was caused by a helper losing her grip on the fuselage while I was repositioning the cradle underneath. My hand was resting next to the firewall. It dropped only about an inch, and cut my thumb to the bone...
You can take the edge off with a file in a few minutes. It is still dangerous though.
After reading Jon's post on another thread it got me thinking about how an Emergency Room might classify a Tim Allen moment such as what Jon described.

Would this be considered an Airplane Accident?

In the eyes of the FAA, is it an airplane or something that may look like it could become an airplane?

Until it legally becomes an airplane, you can't have an airplane accident IMO.

In the eyes of the FAA, is it an airplane or something that may look like it could become an airplane?

Until it legally becomes an airplane, you can't have an airplane accident IMO.

If the airplane is not moving, it probably can not be an airplane accident like if a dump truck runs into a parked airplane, the NTSB or FAA need not be notified, IMHO.

However, if a mechanic is sitting in the airplane installing an instrument and the dump truck hits the airplane and while it is being pushed across the ramp, kills the mechanic, the airplane is moving and maybe then it is a accident. :)

Legal stuff....

If the airplane is not moving, it probably can not be an airplane accident like if a dump truck runs into a parked airplane, the NTSB or FAA need not be notified, IMHO.

However, if a mechanic is sitting in the airplane installing an instrument and the dump truck hits the airplane and while it is being pushed across the ramp, kills the mechanic, the airplane is moving and maybe then it is a accident. :)

Legal stuff....

I recall several NTSB reports where the airplane was running, but not actually moving. Typically a baggage handler or catering worker walks into a moving prop.

There was another incident here in Memphis a few years ago where a commuter turboprop was left on a sloped ramp without chocks and ended up rolling through a fence and into a large drainage ditch (a photo floats around the internet). No one was on board at the time, and IIRC it was not officially an incident.

So movement by itself is apparently not enough. Of course, if it's the engine running, how would you classify sailplane accidents?

Aircraft Accident -per the Reg.

TITLE 49--TRANSPORTATION

CHAPTER VIII--NATIONAL TRANSPORTATION SAFETY BOARD

PART 830_NOTIFICATION AND REPORTING OF AIRCRAFT ACCIDENTS OR INCIDENTS AND

Subpart A_General

Sec. 830.2 Definitions.

As used in this part the following words or phrases are defined as
follows:
Aircraft accident means an occurrence associated with the operation
of an aircraft which takes place between the time any person boards the
aircraft with the intention of flight and all such persons have
disembarked, and in which any person suffers death or serious injury, or
in which the aircraft receives substantial damage.
Civil aircraft means any aircraft other than a public aircraft.
Fatal injury means any injury which results in death within 30 days
of the accident.
Incident means an occurrence other than an accident, associated with
the operation of an aircraft, which affects or could affect the safety
of operations.
Operator means any person who causes or authorizes the operation of
an aircraft, such as the owner, lessee, or bailee of an aircraft.
Public aircraft means an aircraft used only for the United States
Government, or an aircraft owned and operated (except for commercial
purposes) or exclusively leased for at least 90 continuous days by a
government other than the United States Government,

"Movement with intent to fly..."
The long ez doing a fast taxi test without the main wing installed, that flipped over backward because the canard WAS installed and working... Not an aircraft accident if memory serves...

how an Emergency Room might classify a Tim Allen moment such as what Jon described.
Would this be considered an Airplane Accident?

Hospitals keep records for funding, reimbursment, and utilization purposes.

It would be recorded as trauma, accidental, thumb

I know that these are WAY off topic, but the first incident may make a point. Many years ago I built a car. My design, fabricated frame, everything. Prior to final assembly I was tuning the engine in front of my house. A policeman pulled up and gave me a ticket for OPERATING a motor vehicle without headlights! It was daylight, I wasn't driving, but the headlights hadn't been installed. Obviously someone in the neighborhood had complained and this guy had to look long and hard to find something I had done "wrong." Point: all rules are subject to interpretation and so much depends on the attitude of the observer/investigator. Don't still the waters unless absolutely necessary.

On a lighter note, last year my wife's supervisor (RN) was loading groceries into her SUV. Thinking she was done, her husband closed the rear hatch, hitting her head and cutting a fair sized gash. She told the tale in the emergency room, which was all recorded. A few minutes later the police came for her husband, asking what he had done with the hatchet! Be careful what you say, and how you say it.

Bob Kelly

accident?

I don't think the builder would be covered but if you have liability on the policy (not all do) then a helper or guest is exactly what they have in mind for this kind of accident.

If the injury is without long term, nerve or tendons, then you may say pay it out of pocket if a friend got hurt but if the charges get higher and the injury involves serious damage to tissues it can and will add up fast. Your call if you want it, just like primer so please no flames.

More important Bill I hope you recover real quick.

Back