- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:33 PM

Talking Making progress

I guess I'm past due for an update. Today my better half and I finished attaching the outboard leading edge to the right wing. It's now hanging out on a wing stand passed down to me from a friend who's RV-10 is now flying. Hopefully we'll have the left leading edge attached either tomorrow or Tuesday.

The tanks have already been clecoed together and final drilled by my wife and her dad while I've been flying around the country playing Santa's little helper. Can't wait to start playing with the pro-seal.

Keep smashing those rivets.

Jeff

Flying as of 6 Nov 2020
Old 01-19-2015, 12:28 AM

Very nice!

Looks like you're getting close to thinking about ordering the fuse. Are you going slow build or quick build?
KSGS - Fleming Field, South Saint Paul, Minnesota

YouTube.com/GoodPlaneLiving
-- Build Timelapse and Travel Videos . . GoodPlaneLiving.com -- Build and Travel Blog
Old 01-19-2015, 07:42 AM

I've gone back and forth on slow vs. quick build on the fuse. As much as I would like to have a flying RV RIGHT NOW! I think we're going to go the slow build route for three-ish reasons:

1. When it's done, we can say, "WE built this." (minus paint and upholstery)

2. The difference in price between quick and slow is roughly the cost of the prop.

3. Going slow build gives more time to save for the next big expense. I'd like to get to the end of the project owning it outright.
Flying as of 6 Nov 2020
Old 02-17-2015, 01:07 PM

Looks good Jeff!

DM

Congrats on the forth stripe too ;-)
Old 03-26-2015, 05:23 PM

Default Tanks

Hey, DM, thanks!

A little update here. Crapy weather combined with a crappy schedule has led to very little progress on the tanks. But we're knee deep into it now. The first use of Proseal for attaching a couple of things to the inboard ribs was an absolute mess, as you can see in the picture. That didn't give me a warm-fuzzy about the way the rest of the tank build was going to go.

Yesterday and today were much better. Yesterday, my lovely and talented wife "buttered" the short stiffeners, and I clecoed them into place. Then she laid a bead for the fillet, and I used a popsicle stick to smooth it out. We let them "cure" overnight.

Today we got them all riveted. Working two stiffeners at a time, Laura would put the dab of Proseal in the dimple then add the rivets. Next I'd do the back riveting. While she sealed the shop ends, I'd take acetone to the rivet set and clean it off, then count out rivets for the next pair of stiffeners from the "sterile" rivets.

Once the skin was flipped back up, she'd start again on the dollop and rivet while I cleaned off the skin from the previous pair and cleaned the back rivet plate.

So nice to be married to a great build partner.

As an aside, I had a layover in PDX recently with enough time to rent a car and get down to Aurora. Pretty cool to get to tour the factory, but disappointed the -10 was out getting a new engine. While I was there I dropped off the order form for the fuselage kit. Should be here mid-May.
Flying as of 6 Nov 2020