-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:46 PM

I flattened the bumps on the bottom of the GTR200 tray, they were interferring with the bumps on the top of the GTN400W. They now have about an even 3/32 gap between the faces of the radios.

When I originally built the panel (several years ago without any trays) I didn't want to under size it and added a little wiggle room. I took up the wiggle room with a .020 shim on the left side of the stack. You can also see a .063 shim temporarily installed between the GMC305 and the GTR200.

I'm trying to keep the front faces of the radios flush, because they are all different depths they are inset in the panel deeper than I originally planned. I should have used a larger angle, perhaps a 3/4x1.25 instead of 3/4x3/4. I'm adding some scrap material to the back of my angles so I can screw the radio racks to them.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:20 PM

Well...trying to measure 3 or 4 times, marking and drill as best I could on the kitchen table left my radio stack slightly wonky.

Jed at Steinair suggested taping the racks together, this helped (A LOT) to keep things from sliding around etc.

I re-made the panel angles out of some .063 1x1, everything is getting drilled in assembly this time. The "tabs" on the side of the GMC305 as well as the .063 on the front of the angles are just spacers and supports for the panel.

Everything seems to fit pretty well at this point, the GTR200 and 400W are somewhat set into the panel and match the bezel thickness of the GMC305. You can see the .063 spacer between the GTR200 and the GMC305 to set the horizontal gap. There is a slight gap on each side of the stack above and below the radios, this isn't as noticeable when everything is closed up. I may paint the structure underneath black to help hide it.

I tried using a drill stop to help center the holes on the racks, the curved face nestles well into the countersink. It worked OK but I ended up just marking the holes that way, I'm going to remove the angles to finish drilling.

Last edited by crabandy : 01-15-2015 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:03 PM

The GTX23 ES comes with a stand alone rack that is a tad thicker than the standard racks. I had trouble finding a spot up front for the transponder that would also let me slide the box out if needed. I ended up ordering the optional "modular" rack for the transponder so I could fit it in the radio stack behind the autopilot. I cut the front tabs off the modular tray to fit my installation.

Here's the racks with a piece of .063 supporting them in the back. I riveted them (upside down first , drilled out the -3 rivets and used -4 when I put them on right) onto the 400W tray, used the rear screw hole of the GTR200 and the front screws of the remote transponder. The GTX23 ES fits behind the autopilot in my stack.

I used the middle screw holes on the transponder tray to the subpanel angles and drilled new #6 holes through the 400W tray and the subpanel angles to support the back of the stack. It's very solid and I'm happy how it turned out.

A trial fit of the panel, very happy with how the second try turned out. Everything fits from the front of the panel nicely and is flush and even. I was even able to use the original pieces without re-painting.

Last edited by crabandy : 01-19-2015 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:54 AM

Hello Andy,

That is very clever indeed mounting the GTX23ES behind the GMC305 autopilot control panel which is very shallow. I hadn't seen that done before.

This is some upgrade you are doing with the addition of IFR navigation and full 2020 ADS-B Out compliance!

We look forward to seeing your 1090ES flight ID showing up in the KC area!

Thanks for sharing,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:14 AM

Thanks Steve, I can't wait to fly behind it!
Old 01-26-2015, 11:18 PM

PennyPie--Hey Dad, watcha doing?
Me--Crawling under the panel to find a spot to mount my GDL39R, man I wish I was your size!

PennyPie--Oh that's cool. I'm going to drink my milk and wiggle this thing while you keep making funny noises.....

I made a plate to go between two of the forward ribs to mount the GDL39R, now the hard part of installing nutplates on the ribs...

Man these dsub hi-density pins are small, here's a couple next to a toothpick. Several hours piddling with these and I'm feeling cross-eyed.

GTX23ES connector done, I kinda took over the dining room table. The wife said I'm a dead man if the soldering iron or solder ever touches the table.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:14 PM

If you're excited your vacation day was approved so you can hit the 23* hangar early in the a.m. And work on your airplane all day.....you might be an RV builder.
A friend messaged me about the backplate of the GTR200 not fitting in my current setup, he was right (I overlooked it). The backplate of the GTR200 has a tab that must stick out past the rack while the tab on the other side is fitted into the rack, my rear supporting angles didn't allow this. Nothing that a sharpie, dremel and and several files can't fix.

I'm ashamed of how many hours I have in this flat mounting plate and the associated nutplates to support the GDL39R under the forward panel. My physical agility from the repetitive under the panel to the toolbox and back maneuver is on the upswing.

I did a decent job drilling out the rivets where the GSA28 pitch servo goes, the bracket fit very well. I didn't have the actual servo at the hangar, I want to test fit the complete assembly before I drill any holes.

Last edited by crabandy : 01-30-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:56 AM

I got the pitch servo loosely mounted, the top of the little cutout is flush with the top of the floor rib/angle.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:54 PM

Hours of wiring, about 35 connections closer to being done......everything I've ever heard about working underneath the panel is true!
Old 02-04-2015, 03:10 PM

Looking good! Never give up!
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Project Sold
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook