Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
Wow. Nice job. I feel so inadequate.
I have a 20 gal/5 hp. It does have an oil/water separator and regulator on it but nothing even close to your set up...
Hi Larry - Don't feel inadequate! It all depends on the criteria. How about we compare workshop costs, or workshop prep time to build time? Do either of those and suddenly I'm very inadequate!

So many choices! I'm close to ordering my emp, but want to receive the Numatx tools first, which have been ordered. Once that's setup I plan to order the emp and Cleaveland tool kit.

Oh, and multiple regulators? Interesting idea! Thanks!

Chris
2015 VAF Dues paid!

Last edited by CSJohnson : 06-03-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:59 PM

Hey Chris,

On the tools front, I can highly recommend getting the 3/32" dimple die pliers and the 3/32" pop-rivet dimpler, if your tool kit doesn't already have them. They really help in the tight spots.
Donation made for 2021
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart
Old 06-03-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightrudder View Post
Hey Chris,

On the tools front, I can highly recommend getting the 3/32" dimple die pliers and the 3/32" pop-rivet dimpler, if your tool kit doesn't already have them. They really help in the tight spots.
Hi Doug - Thanks for the advice! I plan on purchasing the Cleaveland Complete Airframe Tool Package and it looks like those are included. I'm essentially starting from scratch as all I have are typical wrenches, a ratchet set, hammers screw drivers, etc., so your advice is appreciated!

Actually, most of what I've done to date and future plans are based on reading advice like yours on VAF!

Chris
2015 VAF Dues paid!
Old 06-03-2014, 04:42 PM

Wow Chris,

Anyone hoping to convince their spouse to be on board with building should just show them your before & after pics of your garage!

I'm hoping to start building soon as well. Great info on the lighting and air compressors. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:18 PM

Looks great! Would even be better if you sold me one of those Kayaks!
Old 06-03-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightrudder View Post
...You might consider building a plywood box around the compressor to reduce the noise, lined with sound absorption material...
Hi Doug - Thanks! I'm trying! This compressor really isn't that loud and fills up quickly, so I might be able to get away without building a box, but I'll know more once I actually start building and would definitely give your suggestion consideration. - Chris
2015 VAF Dues paid!
Old 06-03-2014, 11:17 PM

Default Great solution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbak View Post
...Check to see if you have an area that you can alter in the attic...
Hi Pat - I made a quick trip to a nearby Lowe's to check and I should be able to implement your recommendation for a new vent in the garage for about $50, and it can easily be reversed once the build is complete. So, temporarily out of code but as you said, no way to get a car in there during the build. Actually, there have rarely been cars in that garage since we bought the house! - Thanks! Chris
2015 VAF Dues paid!
Old 01-08-2015, 06:00 AM

Default Workshop Turning Back into a Garage - Reverse!

It's been a long time since I've posted, but progress continues. The garage workshop started looking more like a garage again, so I had to take action.

Before

After
2015 VAF Dues paid!

Last edited by CSJohnson : 01-08-2015 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Updated with larger images.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:43 AM

Default Oshkosh, Cleavland Aircraft Tools, and More Tools!

I attended Oshkosh and purchased Cleavland Aircraft Tool's Complete Airframe Tool Package with a few additions and subtractions.

The main subtractions were the rivet hammer and C-Frame. The yellow rivet hammers on the board are an Atlas Copco, RRH04P-12-TS 2X and the RRH06P-TS 3X.

While I tend to research and buy high quality tools, these are overkill for most. The primary reason I went with them is that they dampen vibrations and therefore prevent tennis/rivet elbow. I've had tennis elbow in the past and understand other builders have been diagnosed with the same from riveting, then being sidelined for weeks and even months. I also just finished physical therapy for a shoulder injury which I'd also like to protect.

Each hammer was about $1,300. They're beautiful tools, have a built in air regulator, a great teasing throttle, and I can definitely tell a difference from the rivet hammer I used at a SportAir Workshop. But again, overkill for most, and while I can tell a difference in the feel, the rivets and bucking bar don't seem to care, so the end result is the same. And I can confirm that you can set a horrible rivet with a fantastic rivet hammer!

I'm going to have two C-Frames, at least to start. I purchased the ExperimentalAero DRDT-2 and fabricated a steel C-Frame for use with the Numatx Tools 3340 Intensifier and hydraulic 3060 Squeezer (you can see it hanging on the wall with the black hose attached). (I'll post more on that setup shortly.)

The reason for both manual and hydraulic C-frames and squeezers is that the little lady has let me know that while she supports the project, she's not much interested in participating. However, I do have other family in town and so know that there will be times when I've got a lot of help and an active workshop. The Numatx setup is activated with a foot pedal, so I'll be able to hold skins with two hands to position for dimpling and press the pedal. That allows me to do as much as necessary alone, but still have other options for when I have help or maybe the hydraulics need to be bled.

One question I have for those with a lot of experience dimpling skins is whether mounting the C-frame between the two tables in the picture will give me enough space from the shelves to the right. It's about 4' and I imagine that's enough, but maybe not?
2015 VAF Dues paid!

Last edited by CSJohnson : 01-08-2015 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Linked to larger image.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:54 AM

Default Air Conditioning and Heat

I've gone back-and-forth on this one, and finally decided on a portable unit rather than messing with the air handler in the garage.

Insulating the attic seems to have paid off as this morning it is 37 degrees outside but 62 degrees in the garage/workshop.

After a lot of research (of course!) I purchased the Whynter ARC-14SH portable air conditioner/heater. It's rated to handle 500sf of space and that's right about where I'm at.

I removed a window from a side door and replaced with a mount I fabricated for the intake and exhaust hoses. It really hasn't been fully tested yet and think that will come during the summer when it's 98 degrees with 98% humidity.

2015 VAF Dues paid!