- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:37 PM

Default A great flight pre-surgery

The last few weeks have been absolutely nuts getting ready for spinal fusion surgery, getting a second opinion (took two visits and an MRI), and a third opinion, getting my FAA medical renewed while it was easy to do, dentist, getting instrument current again in the Cessna (so I won't need an IPC later on), etc. Not to mention work and trying to keep my hours up as I'm a contractor, plus singing in two choirs and taking voice lessons.

So with all that going on, and the days getting shorter, time spent in the RV-8 has been much less than I'd like. Some days, I was so stressed I really did not even feel safe driving... But this morning, with just about everything resolved, I went out in the RV-8.

The first landing was the best I've ever done in that airplane -- the tires tip-toed onto the runway, and the tailwheel rode the centerline the entire rollout (granted, it was a big-airport wide centerline stripe).

No surprise, the other four landings weren't as good, but it really felt good to fly and to fly reasonably well. And I've got to think that feeling good about myself right before surgery is a good place to be.

So Monday is the surgery, followed by six weeks of serious rest and recuperation, and then six weeks of TBD. I'm referring to the recovery time as sabbatical, which comes from the same word as sabbath. I'm hoping that it will also be a spiritual time, and that my friends from church will help me in that regard.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:41 PM
Moderator, Asst. Line Boy

Good luck with the surgery, Ed, we're thinking about you.

Sid "Scroll" Mayeux, Col, USAF (ret)
52F NW Regional/Aero Valley Airport, Roanoke TX (home of DR's Van Cave)
"KELLI GIRL" N260KM RV-7A tipper
Catch her on YouTube's "Because I Fly!" channel

Exemption waived.
Proud and grateful 2021 -=VAF=- Contributor

PS: I am not an influencer. I have no influence. Just ask my kids.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:07 PM

Ed,
It'll be a breeze. These docs do this stuff all day long and in their sleep. As a chiro, I see a few patients who eventually end up in surgery. They have all come out doing well. Just do what your docs say, make sure you are religious about doing your physical therapy/rehab, eat healthy, stay hydrated (no alcohol) and keep your nose to the grind. You'll come out on the other side a new (and slightly modified) man.
Thoughts and prayers your way.
Wings-In Progress
N568AK Reserved
SOLD?but I'll be back
Old 10-11-2014, 07:31 PM

Things will work out just fine! Let me know if I can do anything for you. I will be going in for another disc replacement before the end of the year.....yeah!
Old 10-11-2014, 11:19 PM

Chances are the fusion will really change you life, and for the better of course! I got an artificial disc several years back, and it made all the difference in the world. That sort of pain is no fun. Enjoy your sabbath.

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XP IO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Aurora, OR (EAA Chapter 105)

Old 10-12-2014, 07:22 AM

Tossing a prayer up to the Big Guy on your behalf Ed.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:05 PM

I had Spinal Stnosis they fused my 4-5 Lumbar together and I was up walking in 1 day, still some pain only until the drainage stopped. After three days doing good drove in about 4-5 days. Pain gone, never looked back. I think you will do good. Not as bad as I thought.
Dave
Old 10-13-2014, 07:24 AM

Best of luck in recovery Ed. Thoughts and prayers coming your way. Let us know how you're doing as soon as you can.

First flight 1-29-13
Phase I complete 5-25-13

INVERTED: Looking Back on Walking Away
Old 10-16-2014, 10:31 AM

Default Recovery update

To use an analogy, my recovery is more Cessna 150 than RV-8. Worn out, beat up Cessna 150, that is. As sometimes happens, they couldn't get the drain out of the wound so I go back to the OR tomorrow for that quick bit.

Mental energy is good, but I am so full of narcotics that I just want to zone out. Maybe that's why they won't let me out of bed unassisted. Hey, I just did a beautiful landing a week ago in the -8, do why can't I solo a walker, ferpetesake.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:11 AM

Hey Ed, you probably won't remember this post... due to the amnesia... but I pass my regards for quick recovery.
When healed and out west, stop in to Prescott and we will go do a biennial or lunch... or both. Nick