Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2014, 07:16 PM

Default Dynon Heated AOA/Pitot Service Bulletin

Dynon Avionics has released a technical service bulletin that pertains to our Heated AOA/Pitot Probe. If you own this product, please read the service bulletin it in its entirety. In addition to the technical details, there are some important topics covered in the Frequently Asked Questions section after the bulletin that will answer many of the questions you may have.

Note that we are not issuing a product recall at this time. Heated AOA/Pitot Probes that are currently installed in aircraft may continue to be used, subject to the Operating Recommendations section in the service bulletin.

Thanks to those of you that have reported your experiences (Jon Thocker, Stephen Christopher, I know I'm missing a few others from here) - your reports have been valuable in helping us home in on the root cause here.

Michael Schofield
Marketing Manager
Dynon Avionics
425-402-0433
www.DynonAvionics.com

Last edited by dynonsupport : 05-07-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:51 AM

Wow. Big admission Michael. Thanks for putting this out. Probably even harder to put a straight out ship-stop on the pitots. That probably puts a big cramp on anyone designing their Skyview / AFS systems currently.

I'll go ahead and ask the general forum... Anyone know if the G3X pitot/AOA, being the same general design, would work with Skyview / AFS? I still have time, and am hanging on to my Gretz probe + the "old" AFS AOA wing-port system for now.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:38 AM

Thanks to Dynon for treating the reports of pitot icing seriously, confirming them and doing the work to understand the problem and identify a course of action.

This is the sign of a good company. Stick with them.
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
Part of EAA award-winning OnSpeed team
The VV in huVVer.tech
Victoria, BC (Summer)
Chandler, Az (Winter)
Old 05-07-2014, 07:22 PM

We haven't tested it in flight, but the GAP 26 looks to use the same general AOA-detecting principles as our AOA/Pitot. We suspect the AOA function would work fine with Dynon/AFS EFIS systems. We do plan on getting ours back on the market soon though (sorry no dates yet)!
425-402-0433
www.DynonAvionics.com
Old 05-08-2014, 08:33 AM

This here is one of the many reasons why I believe in the Dynon company.

Big call and serious about not only fixing it but communicating. Something most in this industry could learn from.

In 1000 hours of IFR flight we have never had a problem, but that does not mean it does not exist. I expect it happens mostly when in known icing conditions, or heavy rain followed by low temps. Something not easy to replicate.

Good work Dynon!

David Brown

DYNON Authorised Dealer and Installer

The two best investments you can make, by any financial test, an EMS and APS!
Old 05-08-2014, 09:03 AM

Default Me too!

I have experienced lost/degraded airspeed indications twice when flying in sub-freezing conditions with the Dynon pilot heat turned on. On one flight through moderate rain (not in freezing conditions) my airspeed was degraded by water collecting in the pitot tubing at the low point (near the wing/fuselage junction). Nice to see that Dynon is addressing the problem. I am confident they will come up with a solution and resolve the issue for good. Great customer support at work here!
My Aerobatic Video
My Formation Video
CAF B-25 - Airbase Arizona
VAF 2022 Donor
Old 05-08-2014, 11:15 PM

That is interesting, I am surprised that the rain managed to get in the tube, travel up the stem and then up into the wing, before then being ables to get down to the low points in the system.

In a closed system this is pretty severe. It makes me wonder if there are some Pitot leaks allowing air to flow through the tube system.

David Brown

DYNON Authorised Dealer and Installer

The two best investments you can make, by any financial test, an EMS and APS!
Old 05-09-2014, 09:09 AM

David, it's my understanding (and could easily be wrong) that the freezing is in the aft section of the pitot, not in the lines inside the wings. This has been discussed on and off for at least two years. It's the reason I pulled the installed Dynon off of my project way back then.

Back when I worked for Chrysler R&D, if a known problem took more than a week to diagnose, higher ups started calling. By the end of that month we had a proposed fix, life tested and verified or someone was standing on the carpet discussing his employment. Typically there was one tech and one engineer assigned to the problem though in a case where fire was involved they gave us two techs.

When life safety is concerned, these things need to move faster than this pitot issue has. If someone had gotten killed...where would Dynon be? I have Dynon in my panel so not hating...just a voice of experience offering some advice. Dynon can and should do better. Running a life test with rain, cold and airflow is a very simple thing.
SARL Race#95
SnF Homebuilt Judge

2015 Sun n Fun Kit Built Reserve Grand Champion
2015 Oshkosh Kit Built Champion
2015 Jeffco Kit Built Grand Champion
2014 Oshkosh Outstanding Workmanship Award

Broken Warrior of the Jarhead Clan
Old 05-09-2014, 11:51 AM

In most cases we'd expect water that isn't being drained to be confined to the aft of the pitot and not end up further up the system. If you have an leak in the pitot tubing upstream of the tube, though, you could possibly see water beyond. A lot of this depends on the exact design and routing of the plumbing. But in a system where you have any significant vertical ascent - as you'd have given the vertical mast section of our pitot - we expect would not support make it to other parts of the system unless there's an additional leak.
425-402-0433
www.DynonAvionics.com
Old 05-09-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoRv View Post
When life safety is concerned, these things need to move faster than this pitot issue has. If someone had gotten killed...where would Dynon be? I have Dynon in my panel so not hating...just a voice of experience offering some advice. Dynon can and should do better. Running a life test with rain, cold and airflow is a very simple thing.
I could not agree more, as I had been contemplating replacing my Dynon pitot although I can not fully confirm if I have experienced the same issue.

However, I am happy to see Dynon taking a second look at this issue now.
N258SM RV14A - IO390EXP119 - in progress
Dues paid