camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneedrv-6 View Post
Is the screen glass or plastic?
All LCD screens are made up of a variety of plastic and glass layers. But the top most top-most glass layer is hard, stiff, anti-glare glass that does not deform or flex when you touch it. I think that's what you're after.
425-402-0433
www.DynonAvionics.com

Last edited by dynonsupport : 03-20-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppilotmike View Post
What about the heated pitot? Are the concerns I've read unfounded?
For those who aren't familiar - out of thousands of Dynon heated pitots in the fleet, there have been a few reports by pilots who have experienced a degradation in their airspeed indications with their heated pitots in operation. This has been a difficult issue to reproduce and drive to root cause. However, we take these reports VERY seriously. Dynon has an active effort underway to determine the root cause and any potential improvements to installation recommendations, best practices, or the product itself. That work is ongoing, and we do not yet have any conclusions or recommended actions. We expect to have more information soon.
425-402-0433
www.DynonAvionics.com
Old 03-20-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krw5927 View Post
Dynon folks,

I'd like to express my sincere gratitude for not only continuing to innovate but doing so in such a way that existing owners/users are not orphaned. It means a lot (A LOT) to have a relatively inexpensive, and more importantly, drop-in upgrade path for my existing display to the newer touch screen display.

Just awesome. THANK YOU!
Kurt,
Thanks for noticing.

At Dynon, we have a philosophy of not considering our current customers either a sunk cost or an email address to try and squeeze a continuing revenue stream from. It's why we don't charge for software updates, or Aviation databases in the USA, and why we decided to actually subsidize Seattle Avionics subscriptions. It's why we aren't charging an enormous amount to upgrade a unit to a touchscreen, and why we spent so many hours agonizing over how to make touch a drop-in replacement for current units.

When we designed SkyView the whole goal was to create a platform that could be customized and expanded without requiring huge investments of time or money by our customers. I think over the last 4 years we have proven that we can do that. We've added an autopilot, ADS-B, transponder, VP-X, COM radio, and more, all without requiring a single hardware upgrade to the main screen and network platform. The very first SkyView sold in 2009 is still as up-to-date as one sold today. Who knew that an EFIS sold in 2009 would still be the most advanced EFIS around in 2014, and that Dynon would still be selling and supporting the D10A more than 10 years after it was introduced? Dynon did, since we designed for it from the very beginning.

A lot of our thinking is dedicated to "how can we make this work for all of our customers" not just "new customers." We value everyone that has purchased a product from us in the past, and we want you to know that when you buy from us, you're part of the future of SkyView, not committing yourself to only what is available today. We'll keep doing our very best to make SkyView both the best EFIS available on the market, but also to prove that you can invest in Dynon with confidence because we always have you in mind as we continue to expand our products.

Thanks for being our customer!

--Ian Jordan
Chief Systems Architect
Dynon Avionics
425-402-0433
www.DynonAvionics.com
Old 03-20-2014, 05:30 PM

The auto trim features seem great, but I assume it can be disabled for those of us who have manual trim?..

RV7 N612RA, flying since july 2012
E-170/175

RV10 Tail Kit complete, Wings 98%, Working on Finishing Kit, AEIO-540 on the stand
Acro Sport 2 on deck.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:38 PM

Ryan, using the integrated trim controller is completely optional. Nothing to even disable. If it isn't wired to anything, it can't do anything!
425-402-0433
www.DynonAvionics.com
Old 03-22-2014, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynonsupport View Post
Kurt,
Thanks for noticing.

When we designed SkyView the whole goal was to create a platform that could be customized and expanded without requiring huge investments of time or money by our customers. I think over the last 4 years we have proven that we can do that. We've added an autopilot, ADS-B, transponder, VP-X, COM radio, and more, all without requiring a single hardware upgrade to the main screen and network platform.

A lot of our thinking is dedicated to "how can we make this work for all of our customers" not just "new customers." We value everyone that has purchased a product from us in the past, and we want you to know that when you buy from us, you're part of the future of SkyView, not committing yourself to only what is available today. We'll keep doing our very best to make SkyView both the best EFIS available on the market, but also to prove that you can invest in Dynon with confidence because we always have you in mind as we continue to expand our products.

Thanks for being our customer!

--Ian Jordan
Chief Systems Architect
Dynon Avionics
I've been to the offices in Woodinville, Arlington and NWAC to talk with Dynon. This is a great, expandable system. It is this engineering and business philosophy that Ian talks about that re-confirms my choice for Dynon.
1946 Ercoupe Flyer, N2169H (standby airplane, now for sale)
Old 03-22-2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krw5927 View Post
Dynon folks,

I'd like to express my sincere gratitude for not only continuing to innovate but doing so in such a way that existing owners/users are not orphaned. It means a lot (A LOT) to have a relatively inexpensive, and more importantly, drop-in upgrade path for my existing display to the newer touch screen display.

Just awesome. THANK YOU!
I agree completely. To my knowledge, the only product they ever sold that they no longer sell was the EFIS D10, which they replaced with the D10A. They also talked about an AP-76 that they never produced. That's great support for a great product line. Unlike another (left unnamed) company that dropped their flagship product (and my favorite all-time single pilot workload reducer) do develop something that never hit the market. Dynon develops until the product works, then upgrades and expands in a way that customers can build on without constantly upgrading to keep from being orphaned.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:05 AM

as someone who just sold a skyview equipped plane (and loved the panel) right before the integrated charts were released, I am now having my RV7 built with the AFS panel I purchased

I have seen zero updates to the AFS platform since the merger/integration other than supporting Dynon gear, and no announcements now at SNF this year at least so far, i am anxiously watching but fearing the worst for my investment
Old 03-25-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkthomps View Post
as someone who just sold a skyview equipped plane (and loved the panel) right before the integrated charts were released, I am now having my RV7 built with the AFS panel I purchased

I have seen zero updates to the AFS platform since the merger/integration other than supporting Dynon gear, and no announcements now at SNF this year at least so far, i am anxiously watching but fearing the worst for my investment
Integrating the current and new Dynon components is a big deal and we are really excited about it! Not only do we support all the 3rd party equipment that we always have but now you get the option of using the cool Dynon components. We will have a new software release for Sun-n-Fun with new very high resolution mapping and an airspace selection tool that is amazing.

New AF-5000 airspace selection:

This location should look familiar from today's VAF News, compare our Synthetic Vision and map:

Unlike the other new EFIS, we decided to keep the extra buttons and joystick when we added a touch-screen last year. When I flew home over the Cascade mountains a week ago in my RV-10 it was so turbulent that it made the touch-screen virtually useless and I had to use the buttons and joystick. Buttons and joysticks are expensive, but we decided that functionality and ease-of-use in turbulence was more important than cutting costs.

Sneak peak at our new literature for Sun-n-Fun:
http://www.advanced-flight-systems.c...e_2014_web.pdf

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:34 AM

excellent Rob, thank you for the update- I was trying to be fair in my post since I know there is still time for advancements in the AFS platform to come forth, thanks for this update, I am planning to KEEP my AFS gear and continue with the install, though this would be the right time for me to bail out and go Dynon or Garmin, your post certainly helped