Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > My RV Build Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 02:23 PM

You guys are too quick!! I got an email from someone yesterday saying my doubler was on the wrong side of the skin so I immediately rechecked the plans and then removed the pic I have corrected it already this morning as it was driving me nuts last night just knowing

I've been putting alot of hours in lately and I probably need to take a little break so I'm fresh.

Last edited by propsync : 10-10-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:30 PM

November 3, 2013

Well, I've been pretty lazy the last 3 weeks after taking a little break. I've been able to open the garage finally, its getting really nice here in Tampa, only about 70 today.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:16 PM

November 13, 2013

So, I'm on to the landing light lense. The instructions would have me attach the leading edge to the spar first, but I can't see any point in that, just makes it harder to work on.

Here is a few pics of the lens fit before cutting. My fit isn't too bad, others have reported worse fittings.

Below, you can see what I did to apply pressure to the lense to get a good fit. The instructions have you attach tape to the lense and pull the tape to tighten the lens. I grabbed one of my plastic levels and put a piece of rubber on the end of it. I placed the leading edge over the level and applied downward pressure to squeeze the lens into the proper fit. While applying pressure, thats when I marked the lens cutout with the sharpie. One person is able to complete this step this way.

Here is the finished product.

Pretty good fit I think. I'm not crazy about the fact that their is no material between the lens and the aluminum. No matter how well the lens mates to the aluminum, I have to believe water is going to get in there. The next time that lens cover comes off when I'm ready to install the landing light, I might try to fabricate some type of material as a gasket.

Next logical step is to attach the leading edge to the spar and then its on to fuel tanks. I think I am going to start the right wing first instead though and get it to the same point in the build. I'm thinking it is going to be best to do both tanks simultaneously, especially if I decide to find some help for building the tanks.

About 130 hours in at this point.

Last edited by propsync : 11-14-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:20 PM

I am clueless about the 14 but the duckworks kit for my 9 included some thin narrow weatherstripping for the perimeter of the plexi. Do your instructions make any note of that?
Old 11-14-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJacket RV9 View Post
I am clueless about the 14 but the duckworks kit for my 9 included some thin narrow weatherstripping for the perimeter of the plexi. Do your instructions make any note of that?
They don't unfortunately. I'm going to have to find out what the other guys are doing.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:07 PM

November 21, 2013

Not to much new to report, I'm well into starting the right wing after stopping the left wing. The idea is for me to do both of the tanks at the same time so I'm catching up. It's amazing to me how much faster the right side is going now that I know how to do it and don't have a ton of questions for the forum.

In my opinion, countersinking the hundreds of holes in the spar is the most boring and tedious part of the build to date.

In fact, it's so boring that I am pausing and skipping ahead occasionally to complete a different step which helps break up the monotony

Old 11-21-2013, 09:05 PM

Default I agree

I agree with you that the countersinking of the spars is boring and tedious, but I haven't got past that part yet. I've spent my third weekend putting off just a few more hours of this work (head hanging in shame). I envy your discipline with your project.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joatmon View Post
I agree with you that the countersinking of the spars is boring and tedious, but I haven't got past that part yet. I've spent my third weekend putting off just a few more hours of this work (head hanging in shame). I envy your discipline with your project.
It gets much more interesting after the countersinking. Try and see if you can do something else to break it up. Fabricate some parts and prime them- might be a quick and fun diversion.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:47 PM

March 23, 2014

Back at it again, after another little break due to being busy with work. I've been putting some strong hours in over the last 2 weeks on the right wing.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:59 PM

March 24, 2014

Well it seems I've got the itch again and I have put a lot of time in over the weekend and again today. Right wing is coming together pretty quick. I'll say it again, doing it for the second time is quicker.

My dremmel collection.

I can't remember how many zillion rpm my dremmel turns at, but when using that tiny cutting bit, you gotta watch the centrifugal force, the bit wants to wander all by itself. Truthfully it might even be better to hold the tool vertical instead of horizontal. The scratch did buff out using the 3M scotchbrite wheel.

One of my favorite helpers.

She just loves to clecko

Hard to believe but it is already time to fit the rear spar.