-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:19 PM

A couple days ago I hit what I consider a wing kit bench mark. I got the main ribs riveted to the front and rear spars.
I'm always chicken to get started driving (with the gun) and bucking rivets, however once I get going it usually goes just fine.
Never the less, I started out on the outboard end working in and utilized the lightning holes in the spar use my squeezer.
[IMG][/IMG]

When able to squeeze, I prefer the hand squeezer over the pneumatic. It's so easy for me to cause more damage through a mistake with one slip of the trigger finger than the ease of the pneumatic is worth. If I could hand squeeze this entire airplane together, I would be one happy camper. Plus I haven't seen the inside of the gym for months so that would be 2-birds/1-stone.
With one rib riveted on, I was on my way. I did the right wing solo with a double offset on the gun. It was OK, but man my back was killing me from leaning over.
[IMG][/IMG]

On the left wing I talked my son into spending part of his Christmas vacation running the rivet gun. He did great (better than me) and it was so much nicer to stay on my side of the spar, plus my back was liking this two person method much more as well.
I still can't sit down and relax. Nervous/excited!!!
[IMG][/IMG]

When I finished squeezing the rear spar on I noticed for some reason the end rib pulled away from the the spar. I was able to mate all other 13 ribs to the rear spar just fine with the button heads due to pulling on the factory head of the rivet with the squeezer as I squeezed, causing the rib to pull against the rear spar.
When I squeezed the flush headed rivets to the end rib I tried to put the pressure in the opposite direction by pushing on the factory head, but the rivet insisted on spreading the rib and spar apart. You can see a little light between them.
[IMG][/IMG]

So I drilled them out and retried it using clamps to keep the gap closed. This worked better, but the tendency was still there for the rivet to swell up in the rib and push it forward. I haven't seen this problem to this point of the build yet. The clamp tricked helped quite a bit, but its still not how I would like it to be. I did the same on the next wing with the same results.
[IMG][/IMG]

End the end however, we got em done. It feels good to be to this bench mark. Now I'm off the Lowe's to get some wing jig supplies.
[IMG][/IMG]

Good day,

Tom
SB wings in progress
Tail kit complete
Old 01-12-2014, 11:27 PM

I did make it to Lowe's and picked up those needed supplies to erect a wing jig. It took me about 5 days in between work and other commitments to get the thing set up.
[IMG][/IMG]

Then I spent the last couple days and many hours fumbling with the jig while trying to get the smart level to show me "zero's".
[IMG][/IMG]

This morning I was finally set up enough to start attaching the top skins. I set up the inboard skins without the wing walk doublers, then traced around the ribs that support the doublers. These marks allowed me to double check my placement after getting the call out measurements marked.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

By this evening I have the skins cleco'ed on with the smart level showing one spot on the right wing as being the farthest out of square by 1/10th of a degree. This is confirmed by the strings of the plumb bobs being 1/32" off from each other.
[IMG][/IMG]

Next step is to match drill all those holes before I let the project sit for a couple weeks. Got some projects coming up that will take me away from the fun. Will be looking forward to getting back to it.
Oh yeah, then I sat some leading edge ribs up on top for fun. Now I really can't wait!

Good night.

Tom
SB wings in progress
Tail kit complete
Old 01-13-2014, 11:52 PM

Nice work, Tom! It's really a great feeling to see wings come together.
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
Old 03-01-2014, 08:11 AM

Well after ignoring my project for over a month while I dedicated my spare time to installing ei's new engine analyzer in our C-170, I'm finally back at it.

Prior to leaving the wing project however I was able to get all the parts for the outboard leading edges assembled, cleco'ed in place.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

And before I put it aside got the joiner plate set in place ready for gas tank battle.

[IMG][/IMG]

I finished off that far leading edge to look like the close one. Then the call out say's to put it all aside and get started on those TANKS!
[IMG][/IMG]

Well I put it all aside, but since the tach on the 170 went T/U, and the single point EGT had been "inop" for over a year, it was time to address it.
So now I got this little gadget to play with when we fly.
[IMG][/IMG]
SB wings in progress
Tail kit complete
Old 03-01-2014, 08:31 AM

My build time this last couple weeks was dedicated to gas tanks.
I haven't been following the Van's plans too much yet. I've been using the popular alternate Z-bracket method that most poster's utilize that Checkoway posted years ago (not Dan's method, I know).

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Sorry about that, I thought those were rotated properly. Oh well, no time for that. I need to get out in the garage and take advantage of my time today.

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the last pic I have uploaded. Both wings have the tanks cleco'ed together and mounded up.
I have decided to complete the outboard LE's before I do the tanks. My thought is to practice on the LE's that hold air before I do the LE's that hold gas. I hope to have those outboard LE's done by the end of this week.
Here's hoping for some build time.
Tom

By the way, February marked the one year mark since I started the -8 build.
SB wings in progress
Tail kit complete
Old 03-08-2014, 12:00 AM

I got a few small chunks of time this week to prepare the outboard leading edges for assembly.
I was dimpling the holes for the stall warning vein so I can plug them with rivets. I'm building for an AOA system, so I won't be using the stall warning vein. While doing this I decided to install the stall warning vein mount in the LE just in case it was ever decided by someone in the future to add the vein.

[IMG][/IMG]

Mounted all the nut plates on the stall warning access plate doubler and LE/tank splice plates.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

But today was the best gain of them all. The last day I will ever have to prep ribs with alumiprep and alodine for priming!

[IMG][/IMG]
Ready for primer.
[IMG][/IMG]
Great day to spray primer in Oregon.
[IMG][/IMG]

It's all in the garage curing now. I'll be up at the crack of dawn assembling LE's in the cradle with the hope of having these suckers done before the day ends. I need those cleco's so I can build the tanks.

Good night.
Tom
SB wings in progress
Tail kit complete
Old 03-10-2014, 11:41 PM

Got one LE riveted up per day this weekend. Worked right up to bed time last night, but did get both done.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Gots lots of cleco's to do the tanks now. Need to get busy on them as well as make up my list of additions and deletions to order my fuselage before the end of the month.

[IMG][/IMG]

Excited for Pro-Seal !!
Tom
SB wings in progress
Tail kit complete
Old 03-30-2014, 09:16 PM

Nothing too exciting to report really. Seems like I have 100 hrs. of studying and only 10 hrs. of hands on with this gas tank building.

I've really enjoyed installing the cap. sending unit plates. As simple as it is, I'll really be relieved when I see it all working someday after everything is all sealed up.

I made it through all the scary stuff like running the fly cutter. I removed the top of the press to place the belt on the pulley combination that gives slow speed only to find out I've been running it at its slowest speed since I bought it. If I had much more fly cutting to do, I would consider buying different sized pulleys to slow that thing down.

I got the RV-14 gas caps fit into the tank skins as well.

But you can see that process here if you like.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=101945

I got a few more things to get done on these before their ready for Proseal. I need to do the vent lines, all fuel line attachments and the inverted fuel details. Still need to study up on fuel injection systems to determine yea or nea on a fuel return line. Also need to do a redo on the T-405 angle attach pieces.
I'm getting close to taking them all apart for final debur and dimpling, then I have no more excuses not to open up the goo and start sealing.
Final note tonight, I did get my fuselage ordered Thursday. Can't wait to be working on that.
Tom
SB wings in progress
Tail kit complete
Old 05-14-2014, 11:25 PM

Default Tanks........still

Very tough getting time in the garage lately, but I'm still at it. Been taking care of all the little things that go in the tanks before I open the can of seal.
Safety wired the flop tube with the biggest wire that would fit through the hole.

Then began to scuff up the mating surfaces.

Criss Cross Criss Cross..............
My fingers were junk for a few days after this.

Luckily a friend RV-6 builder had some left over tools and let me use his C-frame dimpler for the #8 screws. My first time ever using one. A little nervous at first, but they all came out perfect.

Because I went with the -14 gas caps, I had to play around with the rivet lengths for each hole.

All looking pretty close.

Then I was just about of things to do, so I organized all the parts for alodining.

After soaking in alodine, it was time for the MEK wipe down, never to be touched by my greasy hands again until they were sealed in place and cured.

Bring on the ProSeal!
SB wings in progress
Tail kit complete
Old 05-15-2014, 12:04 AM

Default ProSeal

Well I lined up everything I could think of that I would possibly need once I opened the can.

Then I clecoed all the stiffeners on as well as the drain flange and gas cap flange as per the 1st session of the plans. Then I let it set over night for riveting the next day. Turns out I should have laid the fillet bead right then and there, but I figured I would to that the next day after riveting. The problem was, we had a temperature spike in Oregon that day, and the sealant set up too fast on me. Any way, the next day I back riveted the stiffeners with wet rivets, applied the encapsulations on all the shop heads, and don't see any way these are going to leak. I finished up the session by riveting the drain and cap flanges as well.

The next session I buttered up the rib (second from the outboard) and fey sealed the tank skin as well similar to Rick Galati's excellent demo tip.

After having these ribs in and out of the skin dozens of times (seems like dozens) I found with the proseal that it was easier to pin the rib into place with an aft cleco.

Then go to the nose rivet holes and locate them.

I had this rib fully clecoed in on both tanks, then called my friend to come over and help me shoot these in. The session went well and we really developed a rhythm before the two ribs were done.

And then I was out of time. Had to clean up and haven't been back since last Saturday. Well hopefully I'll get some more ribs in before this weekend is over. I am so slow at this. I do not want to have to get back in these tanks for anything once their done.
Got a HS graduation coming up soon. Hope to have these tanks done and tested before then.
Here's to hope'n.
Tom
SB wings in progress
Tail kit complete