-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:25 PM

Thanks Vlad, we have the same taste in paint schemes! Here's a photo I took today of the other side.

Here's the only pics I found while I was making them.

Basically I cut a construction paper template until it was close, used that to cut out some scrap .063 (it was about the same thickness of the fiberglass). Then I used the back of my vise (about the size of a beer can) and dead blow hammer to beat the curve into it. I basically beat it in two planes, one around the spinner back plate and one towards the pointy part of the spinner. Pretty easy overall, if it didn't fit right I just hit it harder!

Last edited by crabandy : 12-10-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:13 PM

I pulled the cowl today after last nights .6, #3 intake is still leaking. There is a small trail on the intake clamp and oil return line as well as a very fine mist on the lower cowling. Hard to see in pics but...

Before I pulled the top cowl I looked inside to see how my rubber baffle material had been sealing. Through the inlet pics you can see some excess material that isn't needed for sealing and i suppose could flap in the breeze. On the second pic, pilot side at the rear you can see the rear rubber baffling has a anti-speed bump in it.

You can sort of see the rub marks on the baffling and I trimmed some of the extra off.

I trimmed the rubber down and cut a small slit-V in the anti speed bump, we'll see how it lays after another couple of hours. I'll consult with an A&P friend about my still leaking intake tube, I'm guessing I may need a new intake tube.
I also removed the seat pans and tightened up the grip on the aileron trim so it would stay in place and peeked at the control attatchments. Hoping without a fuel imbalance the heavy wing thing may be negligible.

Last edited by crabandy : 12-14-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:10 AM

Don't forget the prop blades flex (and rotate for a CS) when setting spinner gaps. I've cleaned up many a gouge on prop shanks from insufficient clearance here.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 2000+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 12-12-2013, 06:46 AM

Default baffles and gearlegs

On our plane all of the baffleing at the intakes is under the fiberglas. You don't want anything that disturbs the airflow over the engine. Our temps are always in the 350 range at cruise speeds at 2400+ engine rpm's. I would advise stiffeners on the gearlegs before you mount fairings.This will really help reduce bouncing on landings and gearleg oscillation (vibration)should it arise.
JMTCW on tailwheel landings. You really aren't going to be a tailwheel pilot until you've done 100 landings. Up until that time there will always be one landing that will jump up and bite you, leaving you scratching your head because everything seemed perfect until you were heading for the grass at the side of the runway. Don't ask how I know.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:00 PM

Thanks Walt, I double checked for scratches and found none. I've got a solid 1/4 clearance from any spinner to prop blade.

Not exactly sure how I would get the baffling under the fiberglass, I traced my baffles where they intersected the cowl at 90 degrees and extended my inlet ramps so the baffle material has something to press against once there is some airflow. I do have little ears the sneak behind the sides of the front inlets on the baffles but the baffle material from underneath the inlets wraps around the sides and overlaps the side to top joint. Hard to get a pic of that area though. So far OAT from 18-37 seems the same, airspeed 125 in climb CHT 390-408, 140 IAS and up everything is 360-388 with 3 hours on the new engine.
Pic of my inlet ramps.

I pulled the cowl and #3 intake again, I found the collar that mounts the tube to the head was warped. The intake tube was not warped. I laid the collar on my back rivet plate and the pic shows its a tad warped.

I filed it flat and have no more intake leak after today's 1.7! Me and Doug doing our run ups after saying hi to some friends at UKL and trying to catch up after takeoff.

Stopped for some cheap ($4.99) gas and BBQ.

I was a little hesitant about flying today, wind 220 @ 15G20. I let myself fly knowing full well I may be leaving my airplane at another airport with a southwest runway. My transition instructors must have done well, Rwy18 at UKL I attempted a 3 pt but a gust made it a wheel landing. K81 and K34 were both nice wheel landings on 21. OWI was a wheel landing on 17, a gust popped me up so I added some power to smooth out the transition. I REALLY like how this thing wheel lands!

Last edited by crabandy : 12-14-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:11 PM

I used the excuse I need 10 gallons of gas yesterday to put another .6 on the plane (that and the fact it was 50ish degrees in December). I joined up momentarilary (twice) with a friend enjoying the day in his Aircoupe, I'm going to have to work on slowing this thing down even without wheelpants!
Before I went flying I added some wing walk to the wings ($3.75 a side at B&B) and used the scraps for a spot to step on in between the seats.

Crappy photo but I forgot how to capture a screen shot on the G3X (hold menu button), 168 knts true down low at 2650 RPM without wheel/leg fairings!
Old 12-28-2013, 02:23 PM

Another 2.5 today! Tried a little longer flight to 1K1 to help break in the engine and met my parents for breakfast. I also stopped by WLD and K81. Everything went well except from 1K1 to WLD I noticed my carb heat knob was creeping out, I pushed it in twice and then decided to pull it. The bugnut must have come loose at the airbox end, I'll have to investigate this when I pull the cowling to put in the new EGT probe.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:36 PM

Cowl pulled, carb heat fixed, #2EGT replaced and a basic look and tug firewall forward. Starting to get a few oil drops here and there, could be minor case leaks or just oil from the breather getting swirled around.
I was most interested in why my carb heat cable wasn't attached, I didn't use loctite on the big nut and figures it must have come loose. I was pretty surprised to find the cable broke just aft of the bugnut.

I'm guessing that the cable was being bent right at the bugnut with the cable retracted. 20 or 30 applications of carb heat was enough to break it. I think running the excess cable through the aluminum angle as well as the torque on the bugnuts castle nut was to rigid. I inverted the angle to line up with the cable housing better, loosened the bugnut's castle nut one lug and had just enough cable after I extended the rod-end bearing to catch the bugnut only and not extend through the angle. I also added loctite to the bugnut's clamping screw just because.

Baffling is sealing great except 1 spot above the oil cooler and 1 spot over the front center baffling. These puckers are supple enough to conform but won't hold the correct shape. Before replacing them I put a piece of tape on the backside to hold the correct shape and RTV'd a couple horizontal ribs on the baffling. We'll see if this works after the next flight.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:46 PM

The ribs of RTV on the puckered baffling seems to be working, it took 2 hours flight time but it appears to be conforming well.

Crappy Wx and family items have kept me grounded but I did get a .5 lunch run in to We-B-Smoking today. A little loose formation and a 15 knts direct crosswind kept things fun!
Old 01-12-2014, 10:08 PM

Hectic morning but flying mission accomplished!! I plugged in my preheater at 9:15, came back to the airport after church/family stuff and pulled it out of the hanger at 1:15. The engine was a solid 100 degrees!

Doug's 6 and my 7 at K88 getting some >$5.00 100LL. Landed RWY 19 with wind 210@22G32, after 2 attempts of the first landing I went around (tried to force it). Second try was a good wheelie, but I'm still learning when to put the tail down. First time ground speed was about 30 and both mains left the runway as I lowered the tail when a gust hit. The flag in the pic is standing straight!

At Stearman field.

Joined the 200knt club on the way home!

Got back right at sunset.