-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:39 PM

Good eye Robert. I thought one thing didn't look quite right!
Old 02-22-2013, 10:11 PM

I put it out there but didn't think anyone was going to notice. After I riveted it I thought, why did the use 2 pieces when 1 thicker piece would have worked? Staring CLOSELY at the drawing it occurred to me what I had done.

These kits are much like the airplanes....when something is amiss, the airplane will tell you. Same goes for the kit.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 02-23-2013, 10:56 AM

I would put some AN7 bolts thru the spar box to keep it aligned . I see you have spacers to keep the width right.
Tom
Old 02-24-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g zero View Post
I would put some AN7 bolts thru the spar box to keep it aligned . I see you have spacers to keep the width right.
Tom
If I am understanding you correctly...there are bolts already in there.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 02-24-2013, 10:26 PM

Mating large pieces together is a huge motivater. I started on the side skin bends. Seems very critical they way they have you fabricate the 2 x 4 and clamp it down. Not sure why they wanted the 2 x 4 beveled on both edges when just the working edge would have worked just fine.

Next up was cutting the 2 5/8" hole for the rear cooling. I had never used a fly-cutter before so there was a curve. I wasnt exactly sure where to make the measurement on the cutter but I got it set up in the drill press, adjusted the press belts for solow speed, test fit the side rib just to see what it would look like. WOAH!!! I caught myself about to make a 5 1/4" hole!! I figured out my mistake and dialed in the cutter properly.

Came out nicely although the hole is just a hair small. I figured this way I could always enlarge the hole but I could never make it smaller.

Right side skin clecoed in place.

My bends were a little too tight so I used the vice to work it into place.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 02-24-2013, 10:47 PM

Both side skins on complete with arm rests!

Mating the forward and mid cabin together was a bit of a chore for 1 person but I managed.

Then came the forward skins.

The obligatory "Looks like an airplane"...

Everything fit reasonably well. The forward skins were challenging where they mate up with the side skins and center section which I hope match drilling will help with. The side skins also have a slight wave in them at the top which concerns me but I have been advised it will all sit nicely when rivets and the longerons come into play. I hope so...

On to the rear bulkheads. Carefully cut this angle into 5 or so parts.

The WD-409 and its instructions were vague and this is a CRITICAL step. Misdrill here and your tailwheel will be permenantly out of alignment. I had to read several builders sites to make head or tails of it. I am still not completely comfortable with the instructions because the builder sites say there has been a revision to the plan dimensions. Van's must have not corrected this issue because I have the old dimensions listed on my plans. Hoping for the best and building on here.

Cleaned and prepped for primer.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)

Last edited by tkatc : 02-24-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:04 AM

Wow Tony!

As a non-builder, your progress and pictures are amazing to watch. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:15 PM

Default Spar

Looks like you have some AN4 bolts in place , the AN7 will insure perfect alinement , easy to do now .
Tom
Old 02-26-2013, 07:46 AM

Good work, Tony. Your project is coming along fine and looks great.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
I'm in, dues paid 2019 This place is worth it!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:19 PM

I've neglected to update for awhile so I better bring it up to date.

Clecoed the side skins and arm rests in place. The bigger the sctructure gets the better it looks.

I slid a few more bolts through the center section to assure alignment.

The bulkheads were fitted together, matchdrilled and deburred. This process takes awhile because of all the nooks and crannies of the bulkhead flanges. Of course prepping and priming take even longer.

After reading about delays some builders had with Todd's canopy, my preferred canopy, I ordered it EARLY. Well, I had no trouble getting mine and it was 7 days from first email to delivery.

It looks really cool. I expected it to be stiff but it is quite flexible...more than I thought it would be.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Closed Thread