Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > RV Firewall Forward Section > Propellers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 06:41 PM

Default MT prop spitting grease after overhaul

My MT metal c/s prop (MTV-15) was spitting grease at around 250 hours ttsn. Calendar months suggested an overhaul vs a re-seal so I bit the bullet and had it overhauled by an MT authorized prop shop. It wasn't cheap! Here we are 18 months later and the prop is spitting grease again, 135 hours smoh.

I LOVE this prop and it always works flawlessly but black grease on a bright yellow cowl is certainly disturbing. I dropped off the plane to the same prop shop...I wrote MT an email expressing my concerns and told them I expect them to cover the repair even though I am past the 12 month warranty after the overhaul. This thing only has 135 hours on it! And I noticed the leak about 10 hours ago, so that 125! Obviously I am bummed out. We'll see if MT steps up to the plate or not..... Stay tuned!

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 02-18-2013, 07:19 PM

How often do you grease your prop?

Hartzel will tell you, "We never overhaul a prop because of too little grease, but we overhaul plenty because of too much grease."
N4IDH

Construction Log
?The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one.?

?Mark Twain
Old 02-18-2013, 07:27 PM

MT props, at least this one, has no zerk fittings. Therefore, re-greasing is normally never required.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 02-18-2013, 07:34 PM

Be glad a little grease spitting is your only issue. After I got my MTV prop back from fresh overhaul the paint just started peeling off. I took it to a local auto body shop where they advised it was very easy for them to strip all remaining paint due to poor adhesion.
I don't want to berate the MT USA guys as they provided great support when I was chasing a P-120-U failure to adjust prop issue, but they definitely had some paint quality control issues when they overhauled mine.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORANE View Post
Be glad a little grease spitting is your only issue. After I got my MTV prop back from fresh overhaul the paint just started peeling off. I took it to a local auto body shop where they advised it was very easy for them to strip all remaining paint due to poor adhesion.
I don't want to berate the MT USA guys as they provided great support when I was chasing a P-120-U failure to adjust prop issue, but they definitely had some paint quality control issues when they overhauled mine.
At least peeling paint doesn't stick to your windscreen!

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 02-18-2013, 10:48 PM

It is sad to see the declining quality of products not only in Aviation, but HVAC too. Of course another price increase is just around the corner.

Last edited by Wayne Gillispie : 02-20-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:35 AM

I have an MT two bladed aluminum prop on my RV-8 and it started spitting grease at about 430 hours and 72 months since it was rebuilt by MT. It was their test prop when they developed the prop for the RV-8. I have an MT Governor also and I experienced an overspeed of about 3000RPM and shortly thereafter I started noticing the grease. Had the Prop and governor overhauled to the tune of a little over $3000 and I now watch the RPMs a little closer. We were doing formation when I experienced the overspeed. Have put 50 hours on since the overhaul and all is good so far. There is no lubrication required of the prop between overhauls. Just inspection for grease leaking from the hub.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:55 AM

Update: MT says there are no internal issues witht he prop. The grease is broken down a bit and getting past the seals. They plan to replace the seals with an updated oversized seal that they hope will fix the issue. I've heard about these oversized seals before and wonder why they weren't installed during the overhaul. Heck, maybe they were. Hmmm...

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 02-20-2013, 12:52 PM

Here is one that got a little dry after 600 hrs/3.5 years.

Video in flight...

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=E2xXN...%3DE2xXNw4HoTg

Then after disassembly.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Shredmas...opellerFailure

Don't feel bad, Hartzell has had their leaks too.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:42 PM

Default MT

I'd like to know if everything is made in house at MT Germany.
http://www.hattonflyingcircus.com
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.