Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthocker View Post

The latest from my shop!

Nice Jon!

It has been a ton of work but you know that since you have done this many times. Lots more to go but I think the hardest parts are behind me.

Tested all the interconnects by powering up on the kitchen table so it all should work....hopefully!

I agree, the G3X has it going on as far as integration with the GPS and AP. Very intuitive and simple user interface.
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Project Sold
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook

Last edited by Brantel : 02-01-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:40 AM

Thanks, Jon - that is encouragement for me too! I hope to start on my panel this year (!) with many of those same components. Thanks for the inspiration, information, and pictures!
Garmin Panel - All touchscreens
Old 02-05-2013, 08:45 PM

Default Panel Upgrade Status Video #2

Got tons of work done over the past two evenings. It has been warm enough to actually work in hangar. It is suppose to be warm for a week or so so hopefully I can take advantage of it some more.....

Here is video update #2:

As you can see, I have the panel powered up on ships power. I finished connecting all the main power, aux power, and lighting bus wires last night and tonight I worked mainly on organizing and securing the wire bundles. I also remounted the VP-X Pro and the remote transponder and reconnected the main battery.

I tested the aux power bus first and it worked as planned. Powered up the master and all was well. The VP-X and the MFD came on as expected and started talking to each other.

I tested each switch for the VP-X and all the airplane's devices and the switches worked as programmed. I tested each airplane system one at a time. I even bumped the starter (all plugs disconnected).

Flipped on the avionics master and all the avionics powered up and started talking same as they did on the kitchen table. All is well and no magic smoke was released. Everything that was suppose to be talking was talking.

I even pushed the hangar door open and got a GPS lock both on the G3X and the GTN650.

Some things left to do:
  • Solder on the headset jacks
  • Mount the GSU73 and plumb up the pitot/static lines
  • Install the EMS harness and EMS sensors
  • Swap the AP servos
  • Change out the Dynon capacitive converters for the Princeton ones
  • Mount and connect the remote compass
  • Re-install the engine control cables
  • Calibrate everything
  • Clean up the mess and remount the canopy

I am sure I am missing about 100 things but that list will do for now!
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Old 02-06-2013, 09:38 AM

I bet opening the hangar door was a tease for the 7. It has been great following your progress thus far. Beautiful work!
Old 02-08-2013, 10:16 AM

Headset jacks all soldered in last evening. I tested all the audio parts that I had not tested before like the audio alerts from the G3X, music outputs from the G3X, audio alerts from the GTN650, tested the PTT for each side as well as the TX and RX on each radio including the Nav side of the GTN650. All works well and it appears that the GMA240 is going to do the job nicely. It will be nice to not have to turn the volume knobs up and down like I did before when I did not use an audio panel.

One little thing that had me buffalo'd at first was the audio settings on the G3X.

The default setting for the audio alert and music sources I think is AUTO. This won't work very well if you don't have the audio lines from all the screens connected to the audio panel or intercom. In my case, I only connected these from the MFD since audio is not mission critical. The good news is that Garmin also lets you pick what screen you always want audio to come from so once this is set, your good to go.

The part that got me was that apparently there is some sort of automatic squelch or something in the mix on the alert inputs to the GMA240 (MASQ?). The alerts worked fine out of the box for the GTN650 but on the alerts from the G3X, unless I turned the volume up a notch or two on the G3X, it would result in no alert audio being output to the headphones. The default setting of 5 is not enough. The stereo music output worked fine out of the box. I thought something was wrong and even rang out the pins to double check. I just accidently stumbled on the volume setting making a difference.

I think all of this is a due to the MASQ feature of the GMA240 so it is not an issue as long as you are aware of it. I can see where the MASQ will help reduce noise so I am glad it is there.
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Old 02-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
Headset jacks all soldered in last evening.
Soldered???

Dont you know that is a major Bozo nono???

Your plane will fall out of the sky, your kids will develop warts, and your dog will hate you

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 02-08-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Soldered???

Dont you know that is a major Bozo nono???

Your plane will fall out of the sky, your kids will develop warts, and your dog will hate you
Typically I would agree but in this case, not many other options available to the average home-builder.
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Old 02-09-2013, 07:25 PM

This morning I had to sit with the kids while the wife ran in a 10K. Afternoon was mine so of to the hangar I went....

As soon as I got there, one of my neighbors told me that the city indirectly thru the FBO contract plans to hike the hangar rent by an additional $200.00 a month.

I have no idea where they get these clowns that dream this stuff up but it is clear that they have the impression that all of us that are struggling to exist at our airport are made of money. Today I had water dripping on my head from leaks, a burned out light, crud blowing over the walls from the hangar next door. All this and they are going to raise the rent another $200 a month for this tin can?????

If they do this, this airport is dead...I have no idea what I will do if they raise the rent that much. The options in this area are slim....

Enough about that!

Today I got the GSU73 brain box mounted. I fabed up a mount that puts it right behind the PFD1 with the connectors facing to the right. There is just enough room between the connector of the PFD1 and the GSU73 almost all the way up against the subpanel.

I also got all the pitot/static connections made up.

I have three devices for Pitot
  • GSU73
  • GX Pilot
  • Gemini PFD

and four devices for Static
  • GSU73
  • GX Pilot
  • Gemini PFD
  • Alternate Static Toggle from Stein

I used the same SafeAir tube and fittings that I originally used way back when.

Now for rant #2

While I was upside down under the panel I heard a plane starting across the way from my hangar. I raised up in time to see this jerk starting his plane inside the T hangar blowing crud all over his neighbors planes. The walls don't go all the way to the top in our T hangars so stuff blows over easily. As he was reving his engine, I saw a roll of paper towels go airborne and find its way right into his spinning prop. A few passes thru the prop and then the roll came unwound and it was like a bomb of paper towels blowing all over the place. It was litterally snowing paper towels bits. This jerk shuts down, pulls his plane out, fires up again and left all the mess just blowing in the breeze. He then taxi's away and spends the afternoon flying while his paper is all over the ramp. You can't fix stupid or jerks!

Now I know why there is sometimes crud laying on my airplane when I go into the hangar.
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Old 02-09-2013, 08:16 PM

Talking

I struggled to get my rental out of the way when I realized the "pilot" behind me was planing to startup and taxi the airplane out of the rock based open T-hanger directly behind me.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:12 PM

Short time at the airport today between church services.

Got the Dynon roll servo removed and the TruTrak one installed.

I did not even open the TruTrak install kit since for the most part the Dynon brackets, method and pushrod are functionally identical to the TruTrak one. It was obvious to early adopters of the Dynon AP that they copied TruTrak's lead on mounting method and dimensions. In the beginning folks were ordering TT's install kit for the Dynon AP installs because Dynon did not have theirs available yet. So the short story is that I will just sell the TT install kit with the Dynon servos. Saves me the trouble of swapping em out and the lucky buyer of the Dynon servos will get new kits.

The swap went well...remove pushrod bolt from servo arm, cut safety wire and remove three mounting bolts, cut zipties holding the wires out of harms way, disconnect the D-sub connectors that I had used to mate the Dynon servo leads to the SteinAir servo wire bundle and it was out...

Back when I put the original D-Sub connectors on the Dynon servo leads, I just made up my own pinout for the connector. I had to remove and re-map all of these to work with the TruTrak servo's pinout. No problem since I had the female connector on the wire bundle and the servo is male. Took apart the D-sub and used the SteinAir pin extractor tool to remove all the pins. Re-inserted them in the correct holes and put it all back together.

Attached the re-mapped D-sub to the new TT servo, placed the servo back where it mounts, re-installed the three mounting bolts and then installed the safety wire. I had forgotten what a treat it is to safety these three bolts while reaching thru the inspection hole....

Re-installed the pushrod with its bolt and fired up the AP to ramp test the roll axis. Everything worked as expected so I called it finished for now.

So 2/3rds of the autopilot install is finished. Last bit to do is swap out the pitch servo.
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)