-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:32 PM

Clecoed all the parts together then had to sit and scratch my head for awhile. Plans say to install the manual trim at this time....they refer you to the optional drawing with the trim kit. Ok, not too bad but the drawing is SMALL and harder to read. Also, the intructions are assuming a retrofit type of situation. AND it tells you to cut the ribs but (fortunately) they are already cut!! All this creates confusion and down time even though the work is basically done for you. It just takes awhile for it all to sink in.

Slapped on the skins too!

Doesn't look like too much work but it WAS!! I dismantled it and ended up with this pile!

The next several hours were spent deburring lightening holes, rivet holes, edges, etc etc. Then prepare for primer. I wanted to prime on this same day so it would be cured by morning, that meant I had to keep working into the night. I started working around 10 in the morning and wasn't done til nearly 3 AM!!! 15 hours straight on the project is a LONG time!

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 12-18-2012, 05:38 PM

FINALLY ready for primer.

At this point, it was time for BED!

Woke up the next morning and started putting it back together.

That's about as far as I got today before having to go to work. I'm a bit tired but those marathon sessions can really get your project on the move. I should be done with the mid cabin ribs sometime tomorrow or the next day. Then it's LONGERON bending time!!

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 12-18-2012, 06:40 PM

Default Rear Spar Carry thru

See that relief cut in the bottom flange of the rear spar carry thru? There is a shop head that will reside in that slot in just a few days or weeks. As I riveted the skin to this assembly I wished that I had widened that slot just a bit to provide a happy home for the tail of that one rivet. You might study yours and see if you will need a little extra real estate in that area.
Working on Fuse
O-360-A1A

1946 Cessna 120
Old 12-18-2012, 07:42 PM

Robert,
I am trying (and failing) to visualize your tip. I think you are talking about the 2nd picture above your post. You mean the center relief cut in the rear spar attach bulkhead (F-806B-1)?... if so, I think you mean the bottom where it will meet the skin....so...I am confused by your advice...

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 12-18-2012, 09:02 PM

Default Great progress Tony

Looks like your making great progress. Before you know it will be ready for my scales. Where's your Russian cousin - figured I'd see him hiding in your shop.
Keep pounding!!
2021 =VAF= donor
Old 12-18-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkatc View Post
Robert,
I am trying (and failing) to visualize your tip. I think you are talking about the 2nd picture above your post. You mean the center relief cut in the rear spar attach bulkhead (F-806B-1)?... if so, I think you mean the bottom where it will meet the skin....so...I am confused by your advice...
You got it. The skin rivets to the bottom of the F-806B but there is a rivet connecting the F-826 and F-827 skins at the lap joint which resides in that relief cut. Make sure your relief cut is wide enough to accept the shop head. Just a tiny little detail that is easily over looked. Ask me how I know?
Working on Fuse
O-360-A1A

1946 Cessna 120
Old 12-19-2012, 03:05 AM

Default Awesome!!

Your build is looking awesome Tony.

Keep pounding !!!

You give me wings (no pun here..) to build on and get to that fuselage.
Once that done, I think about half the work is done... Or is it???

Cheers
RV-8 slow built #83274
Grove Airfoiled Gear, Wheels & Brakes
VPX-Pro, EFII System 32, EarthX batteries
Aerosport IO-375, MTV-9-B/183
Skyview HDX
C-GEMQ, RV-8, flying
C-GNFJ, C72R Cutlass, flying
Old 12-19-2012, 07:38 AM

Tony, with regard to the trim system, all that goes in now are the brackets. Its a lot easier now than later. The trim install narrative is old and was written before pre punch days.

I just finished installing the rest of it and am wondering if it is really necessary with the 8. I may uninstall it and see how the airplane flies without it. With center line seating and properly rigged ailerons it ought to be trimmed as is. I don't like the cable mechanism, it works but seems awkward with the handle moving up and down rather than left and right.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
I'm in, dues paid 2019 This place is worth it!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:52 AM

Smile Catch-alls

Those benches look like mine. It's OK if it has been in a days work but more than that and I can relate.
Erik
Old 12-19-2012, 10:34 AM

Tony,
I'm not sure what your plans are, but IF you plan on having removable floors [nut plates and screws] The time to drill the holes and fit the nut plates to the floor ribs and rear spar, is NOW! At this stage, it's easy to do. Later will require 3 times the work and a sore back. Just ask Bill Shook.
Charlie
Closed Thread