- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:29 PM

Removed the remaining bits and the control cables:

Here it is all ready for the scrap heap...I had to cut the corner off to get it out without removing the covers over the center section spar.

Sure is ugly and multi-color-faded now!

Sat the new panel in there for a test fit. It fits just like the old one. I am not liking the color at all. It is clashing with the exterior. Most likely I am going to use this one for mockup and to check for errors and order another one Grey like the interior.

I pulled the harnesses out for the avionics and started trying to get out the intercom wiring.

That was all for today.....

When I got home I had this stuff from Stein on my porch, this and what I already have in stock should get me to a happy place again:

Does not look like >$700 does it? Even with Stein's good prices, this stuff is high$! PS...when you order shrink tube in bulk, get a lifetime supply!!!!

UPS now says my VP-X Pro will be here on Monday....
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Project Sold
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook

Last edited by Brantel : 12-07-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:04 PM

The VPX is an enjoyable install. I liked it anyway. I spent more time going through the planner setting up how I wanted it than I did wiring it. Did you buy the harness or are you squeezing yourself?
SARL Race#95
SnF Homebuilt Judge

2015 Sun n Fun Kit Built Reserve Grand Champion
2015 Oshkosh Kit Built Champion
2015 Jeffco Kit Built Grand Champion
2014 Oshkosh Outstanding Workmanship Award

Broken Warrior of the Jarhead Clan
Old 12-08-2012, 05:46 AM

Thanks for sharing the process Brian!

This thread is both an inspiration and reassurance to me

I am "a buyer not a builder" and so a panel redux is a lot of new experience to me. The reassurance part? Well, I'm going thru all the same steps you are with the same outcomes.

The only difference will be the cost:capability quotient
Old 12-08-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoRv View Post
The VPX is an enjoyable install. I liked it anyway. I spent more time going through the planner setting up how I wanted it than I did wiring it. Did you buy the harness or are you squeezing yourself?
I am squeezing my own. I already have a heavy duty crimped for those power pins....
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Old 12-08-2012, 08:18 PM

Wink Got some more inverted time today....

This project is not for the faint at heart! One must be crazy to do this!!!!

Granted my panel conversion is just a little bit more involved due to the fact that I am switching to the VP-X Pro....

Anyway, we have been blessed with some warmer weather so I am taking as much advantage of it as I can while maintaining a healthy family vs airplane ratio...if I built an entire airplane before, surely I can pull this off!

Today I spent several more hours inverted in the position trying to remove the Dynon system harnesses without destroying em to the point they can't be reused. I think I am succeeding.

Another thing I am trying to do is not cost myself extra work by making sure I don't pull out stuff that does not need to come out and to label all the wires that had to be cut from the old switches and fuse block. This takes a ton of time but I know it will be worth it later on when I am inserting the new heart of the power system.

Foam is your friend !!!

The top cowl had to come off again for the removal of the EMS harness. This should be able to go right back on someone else's airplane.

The fruits of my labor today:

I could not get the EFIS harness out today because I need to pull the baggage bulkhead to be able to get to the remote compass. I did not want to cut this multi-conductor shielded cable that connects to that. I am going to try and use it to pull in the new Garmin cable at the same time I pull that old cable out. I have a plastic pipe conduit ran down the center section of the fuse that all of the aft wires and cables pass thru.

So far here is a pile of the screws and other small bits that I have had to remove to get to this point. There are tons more terminals and wire bits that are not shown....ALL of this came out of my pockets!

I am sort of enjoying the process of getting back reacquainted with my airplane's systems. It is giving me a chance to get a good look at some areas that do not normally get much attention. I know that the rip is the easy part and that it will take many times more time to go back together with it but I intend to have fun doing it and hope to make a much better job of it this go round. I don't have the same self inflicted pressure to just get it done this time like I did back when I was building it the first time.

I only have one deadline this go round: Airventure 2013!!!!
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Old 12-09-2012, 12:27 PM

Well, you sure are scaring the newbies like myself!

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 12-09-2012, 12:39 PM

Remember why Brantel said it was taking so long to rip this stuff out!

He is labeling EVERYTHING!

It is going to be an Awesome panel!
Old 12-09-2012, 08:55 PM

Not a ton of work today on the airplane because our family has always went to Church three times a week and the airplane takes back seat on Sundays.

I was also distracted in a good kind of way as my middle one finally figured out how to ride her bike today without training wheels or trips to the ER....I helped her for a bit and in about 10 minutes she figured it out. Of course she would not accept anything short of me watching her for a long while. Proud papa moment....

This area in Red has been my kids playground for years now.

Basically what I got done today was to remove the baggage bulkheads and pull up the floors. I then proceeded to pull the Dynon remote compass's shielded cable out while pulling in the two cables for the G3X remote compass. Dynon only had one, G3X has two.

This allowed me to finally be able to pull the Dynon EFIS harness out of the plane. One less harness in the plane, one more harness added to the pile in the floor!

This is no small feat for a fat man! It is a circus act for me to get into the aft fuse. I always make sure there are no cameras around for miles before I perform this act.....

Next I will work on getting the Dynon remote compass out. The bracket can stay but the compass must go. I will also pull the Dynon servo while I am in there.

VP-X Pro is at the local terminal and should be here to the house tomorrow. I am eager to get that installed and have the electrical system whole again!!!
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Old 12-10-2012, 10:38 AM

My oldest girl also learned to ride at the hanger this year, my youngest still on training wheels learned about road rash on pavement trying to keep up!
Old 12-10-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkatc View Post
Well, you sure are scaring the newbies like myself!
It's not as bad as it may look.

The VP/X makes the electrical system a piece of cake. Their online configurator helps you organize your requirements quite well.

If you buy your avionics through vendors such as Aerotronics or SteinAir, they will provide schematics and wiring harnesses.

Even building your harness for the avionics and power isn't that hard. It just requires a little attention to detail and patience for a lot of repitition.

I found the process of building my harness very educational. Most of the manuals have very detailed instructions on how to wire the various connectors. One of the key benefits is that there is no "magic" in my RV and I know exactly how everything is connected and works after I finished the wiring.

Most of the devices are serial in nature, regardless of the specific protocol. That means on end of the wire is connected to a transmit pin (Tx) and the other end is connected to a receive pin (Rx). All you have to do is to determine which devices need to talk to each other. If you have the time and desire, you can save yourself signifcant dollars. If you get stuck, please consider paying the vendors time and materials for their assistance. It's only fair if your are building the harness yourself. You'll still come out ahead in the long term plus gain a tremendous amount of knowledge about your avionics in the process.

Last edited by rleffler : 12-10-2012 at 11:33 AM.