-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:58 AM

Ahhhh .... ummmm .... There is no way to compare my panel work to the extraordinary panel Brian is doing.

Again, you're metal work is really progressing nicely!

Last edited by humptybump : 11-15-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:04 PM

Grunt work today. Match drilled all the firewall holes, deburred then dimpled.

Then I made the bend!

I bought this tool from the VAF classifieds and it came today just in time!! 8 degrees!

Started to countersink the firewall frame work. This is my first time doing serious countersink work. I think I UNDER countersink for fear of taking off too much material. I have a bit of practice before I have this skill perfect.

Oh yeah...these came in yesterday from Grove.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 11-15-2012, 07:55 PM

Sexy legs you got there, Tony!
Old 11-27-2012, 03:14 PM

The firewall seems simple enough but there is a lot of prep work before these parts can be riveted.

A lot of DIRTY prep work.

Finally ready for priming and riveting.

Riveting is challenging because of the flange on the firewall itself. Backriveting is the way to go...if you can!

I must have drilled out 1 rivet out of every 3 I set. The drill bit head even broke during this removal. Another mild challenge!

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 11-27-2012, 03:23 PM

The corner brackets did not want to cooperate. The backrivet set that I have was only so long and those towering brackets interfered with the set procedure. Can you believe I ALMOST had to BUCK the rivets the old fashioned way? With a bucking bar. I have limited experience with actual bucking and I didn't want to learn the skill on these critical brackets so I came up with plan B. I have several LONG RIVET SETS in the tool corral, so I shaved the head perfectly flat and polished it like a back rivet set. This fabbed tool allowed me to clear the towers and set the rivets in a backriveting fashion.

Finally done! I was worried I would run out of -6 rivets because i drilled so many out!

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 11-27-2012, 03:47 PM

impressed, Tony. You are making steady progress ... and you don't let yourself get bogged down.

... if I ever finish my panel, I'm going to make a trip up and check out the work first had !

Last edited by humptybump : 11-30-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:34 AM

Started the forward floor assembly.

Mistakenly I dimple the crossmembers instead of countersinking as the instructions call for. Checked with Van's and they say no problem here. Just make sure you lengthen the rivet call out if needed.

Ready to prime.

Riveted nutplates to the crossmembers and the countersunk to accept #6 dimples.

Riveted ribs and crossmembers to floor.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 11-30-2012, 07:46 AM

Done! Fairly easy.

Cooling ramp done as well.

Now onto the gear towers. It took my 30 minutes just to find all the parts! But they cool when they are put together.

I really want to do the gear tower mod NOW because it would be much easier. I researched VAF and found several ways of doing it and decided I would rather just cut the webbing out from between the lightening holes.

I figured I would fab a cover plate out of the .040 scraps I had laying around. I used a 1/2 overlap thinking that would allow for edge distance requirements.

I don't have a protractor nor a 4 inch soup can so I made my own tool to draw out the curved ends.

I used a punch in one end to fix the piece then a sharpie on the other end to draw the radius.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 11-30-2012, 07:49 AM

Hope you mean crossmember... The fwd one is to be left only clecoed for acess later on.

Grew up with an RV-4, SE-XIO

Now: RV-8, Showplanes Fastback. #83218 Under construction, SE-XXO

Ready for final assembly
Old 11-30-2012, 07:53 AM

Completed plate with overlap drawn.

Next I had to disect the cover plate for screw locations.

Match drilled the screw holes.

Then drilled MORE holes for the platenuts and countersunk to accept the flush rivets.

It took about 4 hours to fabricate this mod. Mods take alot longer than just follwing the plans. I think it turned out well and I am happy with the result.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Closed Thread