-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:33 PM

Looks nice Bruce. The engine looks like a fun thing to put together. I saw in an earlier post you had a daughter going to CU. If you even need a place to stop on the way to visit, come on by! There are RV people all around Denver and Boulder. I enjoy reading about your progress since we are about the same stage. I cheated to catch up! I have two O-320 D2A's in the back of my car now. One for me and the second going to Boulder!
Flying N376E
Old 11-18-2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwoodrv9 View Post
Looks nice Bruce. The engine looks like a fun thing to put together. I saw in an earlier post you had a daughter going to CU. If you even need a place to stop on the way to visit, come on by! There are RV people all around Denver and Boulder. I enjoy reading about your progress since we are about the same stage. I cheated to catch up! I have two O-320 D2A's in the back of my car now. One for me and the second going to Boulder!
Yes, my youngest kid is now at CU-Boulder. We dropped her off in August and we went right by your town, but didn't have time to stop. Maybe in May when I head out there to pick her up? Wish I could fly out there, but I know I won't be done that quick with the plane. Maybe before she graduates!
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and Flying Over the Hills Blog
2021 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor, Pre Buys, Build assistance - canopy/tanks/fiberglass/electrical/repairs
Old 11-25-2012, 07:42 PM

Cylinders on the engine case!

2021 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor, Pre Buys, Build assistance - canopy/tanks/fiberglass/electrical/repairs
Old 11-25-2012, 07:59 PM

Bruce, what is the engine stand you have and how is it mounted? Did you weld something up or get it someplace? The colors you used should not only look nice, but make it easy to spot any leaks.
Flying N376E
Old 11-25-2012, 09:00 PM

The stand is just some steel tubing welded up. It is owned by the guy who is rebuilding the engine for me. There may be other photos of it on my web site under the Firewall Forward -> Engine gallery.

I had several choices on engine paint. I could do my own rattle can job, or use the real good stuff. For a couple of hours of labor, he had his guy spray it with Continental Gold after I did all of the masking job. The other choice was Lycoming Gray. I figured for what the cost of an engine is these days, I can truly say I have a gold plated engine!
2021 VAF donator

Last edited by bruceh : 11-25-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:35 PM

I looked at your pictures and saw one I think I can get enough from to put one together. Im really not sure I need one since the engine is already built, but it looks like a good way to store the engine. I look at your pictures quite often when I have a question!

My engine is Lycoming gray, but nice and new! I was pretty excited to get the engine - it makes the build "real". I have seen some real nice blue and red paint jobs, but your gold looks very good. Maybe after I fly mine for 2000+ hours I will give it a nice paint job!

One question - I was putting my motor mount on and I noticed it doesn't call for a washer between the mount and the firewall. The mount has a flange on it, but I thought it should have a washer under it. Dod you put an AN 970-7 or 8 between the mount and the firewall? The lower plate nut for the fuel pump hits the mount and maybe a washer would make that fit better. I am going to have to move the plate nut to make the mount fit.
Flying N376E
Old 01-06-2013, 11:43 PM

Default Up on the gear and the engine mounted!

Finally back working on the project after the holidays. I was able to get all of the decorations back up in the attic and clear out my shop. I had to move everything around so I would have enough room to mount the engine. Got the gear legs on, then with some help from my son and daughter, we were able to get the engine completely mounted.

More photos on my web site.
2021 VAF donator
Old 01-07-2013, 12:29 AM

Looks great Bruce. The engine color is pretty nice! The plane looks so much bigger when they are on their gear.
Flying N376E
Old 01-07-2013, 01:34 AM

Thumbs up

Congrats, Bruce! Major milestones. Looking good!
www.kalinskyconsulting.com/rvproj/
Old 01-07-2013, 03:50 PM

Default Nice!

Oshkosh 2013?..... Or at least the Harris Ranch New Years Eve party.

It's all coming together nicely.
RV-9A #92103 - N803DK
G3X, Superior XO-320, Dual Pmags, Catto 3B
www.mykitlog.com/dbro172/

1974 Bellanca Super Viking - N16AW - Flying
RV-8 #83565 - N184DK - building
1968 Mooney M20C - N6801N - Sold
1956 C-182 - N744W - Sold