- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:25 PM

Default Shop design

This is my first post to this website. I have my heart set on building an RV-10 and would like a little advice about setting up my shop. Of course, the exact plane does not matter for the shop setup, but I thought that it would be useful to mention.

Basically, I have a blank slate. I would post a picture, but I don't know how successful that would be in a first post. What I mean by blank slate is that I am in the process of building a 24' x 24' garage with 10' ceilings. Main door will be a 9' by 16' (which should allow the height to get the plane out eventually) and a back door 7' by 9'. The outside walls have been sheathed with OSB and the floor and lead up ramp will be poured this week. Hope to have to have the main structure done is a few weeks, then I have to wire electricity and gas. For the former, should I wire up 120V or should I bring in 240V? The latter will be for heat. Any suggestions about heat (live in mid MI)? I plan on insulating the walls and ceiling. Is there any insulation which would provide any sound barrier? Also, I plan to seal the floor with epoxy (most likely a plain gray, so I can see stuff I drop).

Questions:
1. best lighting--fluorescence or incandescent.
2. Outlets in ceiling?
3. Compressor (I was thinking of 50 gallon oil)
4. I am going to fix benches around the perimeter. Best width 36", 48", etc. plan on mounting tools in place.
5. is it necessary to put in central vacuum dust collector or is this just overkill?
6. would is be useful to make a bench on wheels to be able to move around? If so, then what would be the optimal size. Do I need something large enough to put the entire wing on or do I need a cradle to hold the wing during construction.
8. best way to store parts-in process and finished? Should I build shelves to hold the wings? I could put them above the back door. OR can I hoist them up and use ropes and "hang" them up.
9. thought on setting up an area for priming parts.
10. Any other useful suggestions would be welcome.

Brief bio: Chemist. Flying for about 3 yrs. IFR certification 2 weeks ago. ~260 hours of flight time. Currently a part owner in a Piper Cherokee six. I always need a hobby and in the middle of Michigan there is not much to do, so building a plane will keep me busy for a while. I have taken the Grov-air building course along with the rest of my family (wife and two daughters, so I have others to help out) about a yr ago and have been researching longer much longer. I hope to take advantage of the local EAA chapter; in particular, Dick Sip who has built an RV-10.

Thanks
Ken
Old 11-19-2012, 09:27 PM

attempt to attach a picture:

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 11-20-2012 at 06:34 AM. Reason: fix picture link
Old 11-19-2012, 09:46 PM

Welcome to VAF ken,

Looks like a great man cave to me...

1) Lots of either.
2) ??
3) 50 Gallon oiled would work great. Oiled is a must for sound level...
4) My main bench was 2ft x 8ft and mobile.
5) Whatever feeds the neat freak inside you.
6) Wing cradle that you can move around/out of the way.
8) Shelves and spare bedrooms. 8)
Flying

KitProject.com

"If you think you can do a thing, or think you can't do a thing, you're right." -- Henry Ford

Last edited by cln1owner : 11-20-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:05 PM

Welcome onboard. I am also building a 10 in Michigan. If you are ever in the Dowagiac area (between Kalamazoo and Benton Harbor) you are welcome to drop by. My shop is about half your size, but when it comes time to attach the tail cone I will move to the garage for major assembly. I have enjoyed having a 60 gal compressor plumbed elsewhere so I can work without listening to it. I put both air andower connections dropping down from the ceiling, very handy.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:50 PM

Number 5. I love my Oneida central dust collector, but did not use it for building my -10. It is for woodworking only. Pulling bits of hot metal into the dust collector is a good way to start a fire. If it needs service, the manufacturer will void the warranty if they detect metal in the system.

I used a Fein shop vac for all metal work. Pricey, but very quiet. Of my 6 shop vacs in various locations, it is the only one I will use without hearing protection.

Jim Berry
RV-10
Old 11-19-2012, 11:24 PM

+1 on Fein -- has been an excellent investment. Especially for non-RV stuff that pops up. Such as when the BMW filled up with water after a door seal failed a few weeks ago. The Fein literally sucked all the water out of the carpet.

In the shop it is the best shop vac ever when trying to clean up the mess from the ScotchBrite wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N15JB View Post
Number 5. I love my Oneida central dust collector, but did not use it for building my -10. It is for woodworking only. Pulling bits of hot metal into the dust collector is a good way to start a fire. If it needs service, the manufacturer will void the warranty if they detect metal in the system.

I used a Fein shop vac for all metal work. Pricey, but very quiet. Of my 6 shop vacs in various locations, it is the only one I will use without hearing protection.

Jim Berry
RV-10
Old 11-20-2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockmanreef View Post
2. Outlets in ceiling?
Things that are higher than other things can and will fall, thus damaging things below them. That includes plugs falling out of outlets onto your newly assembled wings or fuse (no, this has not happened to me ).

Whenever placing anything, a shelf, an outlet, a cabinet, etc., ask yourself "what if something fell?".

I have a continuous wire-metal shelf running around 2 of the walls of my garage, up near the ceiling to store parts. Living in earthquake country, the first thing I did was buy a volleyball net and make it "earthquake-proof" to keep things from falling.

RV-7A N660WS flying!
#8,000
Old 11-20-2012, 12:32 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockmanreef View Post
This is my first post to this website. I have my heart set on building an RV-10.......

Ken
Ken, welcome aboard the good ship VAF

You made a good choice with the 10, we love ours.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 11-20-2012, 12:54 AM

1. Don't think either is better or worse. Just want lots of it.
2. I wouldn't. They well invariably eject a power cord which will fall onto something expensive and or time consuming to repair.
3. 50 gal is plenty big unless you are running an blast cabinet or other high volume demand items. Go oiled whatever size you decide on for the noise.
4. I have 48" tops but I am tall with long arms. 36-40 would be a good size. Spend some time thinking about height. I have two 4'X8' benches, a low bench and a high bench. I built the high bench so when I am standing in front the top is just slightly lower than my hands if held straight out from my elbows (about belly button height). This allow me to work on things without having to stoop. The low bench is only about five inches shorter (about hip height) and I use it when I am working on anything I need to be on top of. I also placed my grinder, drill press and band saw on the low bench.
5. No. Just keep a wheeled shop vac handy.
6. That's a nice to have, not a need to have.
7. ?????????????????
8. Place is not as important as away from moisture.
9. I built a PVC and plastic sheeting booth in a shop at the house (painting strictly forbidden in the hangars at my airport). It all depends on how wild you want to get.
a) Environmental conditioning. Heat and A/C. You will be spending a lot of time out there. Might as well make it comfortable when the outside temperatures hit the extremes.
b) Rubber mats to stand on. Takes some of the stress off your feet and legs and insulates your feet from the cold concrete.
Wings completed except for bottom skin and glass work
Fuselage underway
N18451 reserved
Old 11-20-2012, 01:21 AM

Don't mount your bench grinder on the bench. (Makes a big mess of the bench) Mount it and the belt sander on a Harbor Freight stand. Both will fit on one stand. Mount the belt sander and the grinder (with the scotch wheel) near the edge of the stand so you can pass large parts down and at a 45 degree angle. A 4X36" belt is very easy to find.
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2020 =VAF= Dues PAID