- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:24 PM

Default Vernonia, OR

I have landed on many dirt strips but my first with real grass was 05S with Mike Seager in the right seat. I am guessing I am not the only one.
VAF #201
Old 11-19-2012, 03:44 PM

Default Many miles ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
That's very nice picture Smokey. Where is your famous Bandit now? I fly X-country a lot and may meet him some day.
Hi Vlad,
I sold the Bandit to a fellow Fighter bro who re-sold it to his boss (SQ commander) El Bandito had 1500 amazing hours on her when she left for Chesapeake VA. Still there today. "Killer" the current owner is continuing the tradition.

Hope to cross paths someday...
V/R
Smokey

PS: I only put 1000 hours on my Rocket, but it had more states, many more ID and MT backcountry strips, Baja Mexico, Northern Canada, and the Turks and Caicos in her travel log. My little X just passed 400 fun hours and I still enjoy it. From the looks of it you are headed the same direction!

Last edited by smokyray : 11-19-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokyray View Post
Hi Vlad,
I sold the Bandit to a fellow Fighter bro who re-sold it to his boss (SQ commander) El Bandito had 1500 amazing hours on her when she left for Chesapeake VA. Still there today. "Killer" the current owner is continuing the tradition.

Hope to cross paths someday...
V/R
Smokey

PS: I only put 1000 hours on my Rocket, but it had more states, many more ID and MT backcountry strips, Baja Mexico, Northern Canada, and the Turks and Caicos in her travel log. My little X just passed 400 fun hours and I still enjoy it. From the looks of it you are headed the same direction!

VA then it's on my block. My older cousin already did some investigation and gave me fresh coordinates.

Yesterday I scored one more grass strip. Sky Manor N40. Gonna catch that Rocket.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:37 PM

Default Three and a half a minute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
. Gonna catch that Rocket.

Good luck, I hope you can....

V/R
Smokey

PS: of course truing at 195 Knots with 4.5 hour endurance helps cover some ground!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:12 PM

Too many to count and remember over the years. Some favorites include Beaumont, KS (07S) where you taxi down the road in to town to the Beaumont Hotel for a good breakfast. Cedar Knoll in Geneva, FL (01FL) for their third Saturday of the month fly-in breakfast. This one is only 20 NM from my home and is a really great fly-in.
Gaston's White River Resort in Lakeview, AR (3M0) is a great spot for a stop for lunch or stay and partake of some world class brown trout fishing.
However, my all time favorite is the Ringneck Ranch, in Tipton, KS. This is a private strip at the home of an old friend. I have decades of fond memories flying in for pheasant hunting in the fall, 4th of July festivities with old friends, and Y2K New Years Eve with good friends figuring we could hunker down and stay there if the world really did quit working at midnight! I've flown in there in my old Tri-Pacer, various Cessna's, my old Bonanza, my RV-10, and even made a "photo op" low pass in landing configuration in a biz jet in a prior life. This place is heaven for an old Kansas boy!

VAF Paid 1/21/2021

"In '69 I was 21, and I called the road my own"
Jackson Browne

Last edited by dmaib : 04-28-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:49 PM

Default in the heart of America

868rm and I both fly out of private grass strips in the middle of 67 wind turbines. Nothing sweeter than the RV parked in the back yard.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:27 AM
Moderator/Tech Counselor

WI69 is our home field, Air Troy Estates, Just east of East Troy Municipal. We built our home out here in 1993 and moved in in February 1994 Air Troy is a 1700 ft. grass strip with some runoff on each end. I don't fly anymore and sold our RV-7A a few years back, but we enjoy everyday living here. I build wooden boats now instead of airplanes.

My first grass landing solo (did a few during training days with an instructor) was at Capitol Drive Airport in Brookfield, WI. I was flying backin my Cherokee from a funeral flyover for Dale Crites, Founder of Waukesha County Airport (where I learned to fly). I was windy that day and I decided it was time to land on the grass strip and use more favorable winds. I had always been apprehensive about landing on grass and didn't like it much during my student days. Dale told me it was the best because it was more forgiving than pavement. I'd like to think he was with me in spirit that day as I greased it in and really began to enjoy grass.

That new found love for grass encouraged us to buy our lot and build our home at Air Troy. Our hangar home has been the perfect place to live, fly, and just plain enjoy life.

We also did Beaumont Kansas and had lunch at the Hotel. We flew in in the early 90's with our Cherokee.

Coming in for a landing in my RV-7A at Air troy.

Roberta
Ford Expedition and TRICE "Q"
Built Glen L "ZIP" Classic Outboard Runabout and Super Spartan Hydroplane
Glen L Torpedo
Old 11-24-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaib View Post
Too many to count and remember over the years. Some favorites include Beaumont, KS (07S) where you taxi down the road in to town to the Beaumont Hotel for a good breakfast. Cedar Knoll in Geneva, FL (01FL) for their third Saturday of the month fly-in breakfast. This one is only 20 NM from my home and is a really great fly-in.
Gaston's White River Resort in Lakeview, AR (3M0) is a great spot for a stop for lunch or stay and partake of some world class brown trout fishing.
However, my all time favorite is the Ringneck Ranch, in Tipton, KS. This is a private strip at the home of an old friend. I have decades of fond memories flying in for pheasant hunting in the fall, 4th of July festivities with old friends, and Y2K New Years Eve with good friends figuring we could hunker down and stay there if the world really did quit working at midnight! I've flown in there in my old Tri-Pacer, various Cessna's, my old Bonanza, my RV-10, and even made a "photo op" low pass in landing configuration in a biz jet in a prior life. This place is heaven for an old Kansas boy!

These are sweet pictures David!

I visited 18 different grass/turf fields with my RV as of the end of 2012. On some of them I landed several times. Closing the season with Solberg 51N. Rated 6

Old 11-24-2012, 08:22 PM

Vlad, 2012 is not over yet, find another one.
AirCam flying
Old 11-24-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron B. View Post
Vlad, 2012 is not over yet, find another one.
Ron I ended the season. But let me tell you something out of these 18 none can beat CLE4.