Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkatc View Post
but I wouldn't say it was HIGH SPEED.
More air pressure!!!

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 10-24-2012, 03:53 PM

Im not certain but I think it was 90+

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 10-24-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkatc View Post
Im not certain but I think it was 90+
My compressor tank is at 175 psi, my lines are at 150 psi and most of my drops are 120 psi (the exception being the pain shop which is most often at 60 psi)
Old 11-06-2012, 05:57 PM

Ok, I am trying to do this mod for securing the hinge pin. Safety wire works (I am flying with that method) but I think this option is a lot nicer. But as they say, deviate from the plans and you pay for it...with time and frustration.

The prepunched holes will not accept a nut plate...at least not any nut plates that I have. So I used a "Mickey Mouse" nut plate so I wouldn't interfere as much with the conflicting rib.

I think it turned out pretty good as long as the hinge will line up correctly.

Onto riveting the left elevator.

So far so good.

The trim tab is so small that I didnt think it would take all that long. I underestimated the complexity of this little thing. In retrospect, there is a lot to learn from building this small piece. Lining up the hinge was challenging for me since I wanted it to line up with my retaining clip/loop/hinge thingy.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 11-06-2012, 06:10 PM

I terminated my hinge short of the last pre-punched pivet hole. So I decided to add a rivet between holes.

There is a talent to good countersinking.

Riveting the bottom spar and trim attach brackets were challenging because I didn't want to UNBEND the tabs or TAB itself.

Lining everything up wasnt too bad but I worried about ruining the part. Or at least the hinge.

I would rather that the hinge were pre-punched too. I can't imagine trying to build a kit before the pre-punch. THAT would be frustrating.

In th eend, I think it came out OK. Far from perfect but acceptable.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 11-06-2012, 07:48 PM

Nice work Tony !
Old 11-14-2012, 07:20 PM

With the elevators finished the only thing left to do is bend the leading edges.

Not sure why but these went a LOT smoother than the rudder leading edge!!
(Well, I did have to run out and buy a new broomstick for the last bend. My broomstick split lengthwise and was only bending the first 12" or so of the edge. Upon investigating I discovered the split. So basically I was only twisting the first 12" vs the entire 60". Good thing Lowe's aircraft supply is open til 9 pm.)

I think they turned out pretty good!!

Next was the electric trim. Fairly simple. I had read that Van's given dimensions did not center the motor on the exit slot. So I used Van's dimensions and nudged it over just a hair so it would be centered. I also made sure to CS the brackets on the last hole to allow clearance between the motor and those last 2 rivets. Mission accomplished.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 11-14-2012, 07:24 PM

The obligatory completed empennage! (Minus about 20 hours of finish work!)

So my Russian mentor says start the fuse! Plenty of time for all the rigging and glasswork later.

I spent a few hours just FINDING the parts and deburring them all. Then I clecoed them all together and came up with this.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 11-15-2012, 05:40 AM

Tony - this is looking great!

I'm very impressed ... but don't think this is convincing me to become a builder
Old 11-15-2012, 06:35 AM

You already are Glen! Panel work is probably one of the biggest challenges there is in a build. Just ask Brantel!

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Closed Thread