Ok, I am trying to do this mod for securing the hinge pin. Safety wire works (I am flying with that method) but I think this option is a lot nicer. But as they say, deviate from the plans and you pay for it...with time and frustration.
The prepunched holes will not accept a nut plate...at least not any nut plates that I have. So I used a "Mickey Mouse" nut plate so I wouldn't interfere as much with the conflicting rib.
I think it turned out pretty good as long as the hinge will line up correctly.
Onto riveting the left elevator.
So far so good.
The trim tab is so small that I didnt think it would take all that long. I underestimated the complexity of this little thing. In retrospect, there is a lot to learn from building this small piece. Lining up the hinge was challenging for me since I wanted it to line up with my retaining clip/loop/hinge thingy.