Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise Hose View Post
Memorial service for one of my dearest, life-long friends. I'll try to send my representative in my place.
Sorry about your friend..... Make sure this "representative" flies a single seat aircraft over, in case I'm able to attend!
Old 10-31-2012, 05:52 PM

Thumbs up Petit Jean RV Fly-In Camp In UPDATE

Just two days out and looking great! Too much info to post but all of you who have registered on-line should be receiving updates from PetitJeanFlyIn@gmail.com . If you are planning on coming and haven't registered (see first post) please do and we'll get you on the update list. Registration link is in first post in this thread.

Just a reminder for those that check .... there are notams in place posted by the Airport Manager and State Parks showing the airport as "closed for EAA Event" and "except for EAA Event Aircraft" and "use caution taxing on grass". What this really means is that you need to be transmitting on 122.9 on the way in just like you normally would. This insures that we know who is coming and what to look for. By definition, if you are reading this ..... you are an "event aircraft" and cleared for the approach

Promises to be a great weekend! C U all there

BillSchlatterer@sbcglobal.net
Dues Paid 5/26/21
Old 10-31-2012, 08:09 PM

!JBR 10/222 MPJ AIRSPACE FLY IN SPECIAL EVENT EAA ACFT CTC 122.0
501-590-9646 501-517-6210 WEF 1211011500-1211042359

Can I assume that the 122.0 MHz is incorrect?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:34 PM

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Lee View Post
!JBR 10/222 MPJ AIRSPACE FLY IN SPECIAL EVENT EAA ACFT CTC 122.0
501-590-9646 501-517-6210 WEF 1211011500-1211042359

Can I assume that the 122.0 MHz is incorrect?
Ron,
I'm curious where you found that. The Notam I read says 122.9 which is correct.

Mark
FFI FL-24
A&P
Old 10-31-2012, 09:50 PM

Mark, it was the NOTAM link on the right side of airnav.com for MPJ.

It has since been changed.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:31 PM

Default OK

Ron,
Thanks for checking.

I'll be helping park planes and I'm looking forward to meeting you!

Mark
FFI FL-24
A&P
Old 10-31-2012, 11:10 PM

Red face Can't make it this year :-(

I was looking forward to being there, but I'm in Colorado with work and won't get to be there. Have fun guys!
Web site: http://www.newtech.com/bobbyhester/RVSite.htm
Dec. 2020 VAF donator - alot better than any magazine subscription
Old 11-01-2012, 07:06 AM

It's looking kind of iffy whether we'll make the trek. With the remnants of Sandy Frankenstorm still swirling her edges through this area, the forecast is for a chance of rain each day -- which around here could mean anything from low clouds/vis or high puffy clouds and UV.

Add to that my navigator's recent flying experience to KC last weekend where we both nearly froze our little tushies off, and convincing her to climb back into the plane for a 3-hour+ flight is questionable.

I'll see how the forecast shapes up in the morning and make the call.

If we don't make it down this year, know that I'll be wishing I was there ... had a great time last year. Danny and Marthajane will be our proxies.

Builder: RV-8 "Smokey"
Old 11-01-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8RV View Post
Add to that my navigator's recent flying experience to KC last weekend where we both nearly froze our little tushies off......
Oh, Don. If you were cold up front you don't know how cold your wife was back there! The backseat of an -8 is no place to be without arctic gear when it's cold and most -8 drivers have no clue because they don't ride back there. That's one of the reasons that I'm not a fan of the -8. The front seat is toasty in comparison to the back. In fact, in the Val, the pilot is commonly overheating while the passenger is freezing in back.

Your wife needs to learn to fly the -8 and stick you in back so you'll appreciate what she had to deal with.

Bummed that I have to miss PJ this weekend. Paul does plan to be there in the -3.
GNC255 Nav/Com, GA240 audio panel)
RV8, N188PD "Valkyrie" (by marriage)
Old 11-01-2012, 10:06 AM

It'll probably be about 2:30pm in the afternoon Saturday before I get there, but still planning on making it. Bringing a brand new bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail single malt to warm up with around the campfire Saturday night

The only RV model I've ever known to have decent heat for all occupants is the RV-10. Every one of the 2-seaters I've ridden in during cold weather, is freezing inside. Worst was sitting in the back seat of an RV-4 coming back from Wichita KS when it was about 20 deg OAT and I had no gloves. Mr. Freeze was shooting icicle rays thru the flap rod holes on either side of me and I had nothing to stuff in them to block the cold wind. The last time I rode in the back seat of an RV-8 when it was cold, I was better prepared... nice warm coat, gloves, and a big towel to roll up in a U- shape to lay in the rear canopy skirt to help block the cold air coming in back there. Also wrapped the rear seat air vent with a towel to help block any cold air leaking in there. We have upholstery covers over the sides of the cockpit of the -8 that helps block cold air coming in from the flap pushrod holes, and the plane is also equipped with aileron pushrod boots which work great to help keep cold air from coming in those holes. The heater in my RV-6 is pretty much worthless. It puts out lukewarm air at best. I may try stuffing some stainless pot scrubbers into the heat muff next time I have the cowl off to see if that improves the heater. One of the things I really miss about my old Cherokee 140... it had a gigantic muffler and cabin heat muff, and the heater in it would almost melt the soles of your shoes to the rudder pedals When I flew it home from Iowa after I first bought it, it was 14 degrees at the surface and well below zero at cruising altitude, yet me and my dad stayed toasty warm all the way back to Texas.