Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7AV8R View Post
Bob did you get a photo of the Glasair III that won the Gold?
John,

I didn't get any pictures of Jeff either, but I'm guessing you know him, since he's from the Seattle area. I know he has an RV as well, and is thinking about bringing it to PRS next summer, along with a few other of his RV buds from up in your neck of the woods. Are you one of the guys that may come to PRS with him? Jeff flew a great series of races. He flies such a great line, and has his Glassair really tweaked and tuned. It takes a lot of work to get the turbos and ADI and other systems dialed in as he settles onto the course. We started calling that "twizzling"...the things you have to do to get all set up at the "Gentlemen, you have a race" call. Jeff obviously has it figured out...396 mph!

I do have a few pictures of the RVs and Rockets that raced. I hope others will post more. And if anyone has pics from the R3 BBQ, please post them. It was great to meet everyone there, and I kinda wish we'd put our VAF call signs on our name tags...I'm just beginning to connect more of the dots after reading some of these posts. It was great seeing Paul and Louise again, and spending some great time with Ernie Butcher. Good to meet Pete Hunt and others from here...wish we had more time...it really blew by!

Here's a few RV pics:

Dave Casey's RV-3 (now sold to a happy new owner in CA)

Tim Cone's RV-8 (dressed up for the races and the 7 OCT NFL Breast Cancer Awareness flyover with KC Flight (Chiefs vs Ravens)

Steve Senegal's Super 8 (good Navy paint scheme!)

Mark Frederick's Rocket and my Super Six (not a great pic, but note Mark's new cooling exit design. My new Sam James Ram air is also visible...we both did glass this winter!)

I'd call the Radial Rocket my arch rival, but how can you be rivals with such a sexy airplane! (Pete's a good guy too!)

Fun times all week, Hanging out here with Kevin Eldredge (Relentless) at the pilot in-brief:

And one action photo that just popped up on my wife's Facebook page (proto credit Keith Breazeal)

It was a fun week, for sure. Thanks again to my crew chief Tommy "Turbo" Ishii, and Bob Axsom for all the help...all week long!

Cheers,
Bob
Georgetown, TX
President/Sport 49, Sport Class Air Racing
Trustee, Formation Flying Inc (FFI)
Old 09-19-2012, 12:05 PM

I went up with Jeff Ackland in his Radial Rocket this summer, and if the cockpit was a bit longer and I had more time on my license, I'd be building one now. It is a beautiful plane.

Thank for the updates. Maybe I'll get there some day.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmills View Post
John,

I didn't get any pictures of Jeff either, but I'm guessing you know him, since he's from the Seattle area. I know he has an RV as well, and is thinking about bringing it to PRS next summer, along with a few other of his RV buds from up in your neck of the woods. Are you one of the guys that may come to PRS with him?
Cheers,
Bob
No, my racing days are over (20 years in stock outboard hydros), but Jeff is a member of the Black Jacks formation group and may be speaking of them. Enjoyed all the photos, thanks!
John
Paid 12/2014
Old 09-21-2012, 06:06 AM

Default WOW John that is a long time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7AV8R View Post
No, my racing days are over (20 years in stock outboard hydros), but Jeff is a member of the Black Jacks formation group and may be speaking of them. Enjoyed all the photos, thanks!
John
There are definitely two types of racing. Maybe the cross country races of SARL would have more appeal to you. www.sportairrace.org - I am in Pagosa Springs for a race this Saturday. I am tired from all the flying to compete in 12 races so far and the week in Reno with 8 more races to go. It does wear you down if you try to fly every possible race in the series and it is darned expensive - several thousands of dollars for 100LL, rental cars, motels, food, etc. there is no way I could continue to compete at this level for 20 years. I'm on a mission this year but if a person just flies a single race that is reasonably close it can be a recreational experience with some really good people.

Bob Axsom

Last edited by Bob Axsom : 09-21-2012 at 06:08 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:09 AM

Default Reno

Bob (RV) Mills,

I met you four years ago at the RV BBQ when your twins were quite young. My wife and I planned to be at the BBQ this year but the bus ride back to our hotel would not permit us the time. Anyway, we got a few pictures of the twins riding the airplane back to the sport class hangar.......we never did see you except in the air. You did some impressive flying and we watched every one of your races. You've got that RV cooking. We are all very proud of you and the RV!!!!!!! (The boys are growing up fast.)

Dewatson
Old 09-21-2012, 08:25 AM

I have pics of the RV BBQ, but, I just did the Ipad update and It made some major changes to YouTube and other apps, Ill try and work on it this weekend, also have vid clip of the RVs racing!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:39 PM

Sorry for the (stupid) question, is that an RV6 (the red one) with F1 Rocket main gear legs?

B737 driver.
RV-7 planned, to become real sooner or later.
Verona, northern Italy.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:43 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Ettore, it started as a six, but like the rocket that John Harmon makes, it has been modified a bit.

Shorter wing, longer fuse, and a IO 540 on the nose.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 09-22-2012, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEWATSON View Post
Bob (RV) Mills,

I met you four years ago at the RV BBQ when your twins were quite young. My wife and I planned to be at the BBQ this year but the bus ride back to our hotel would not permit us the time. Anyway, we got a few pictures of the twins riding the airplane back to the sport class hangar.......we never did see you except in the air. You did some impressive flying and we watched every one of your races. You've got that RV cooking. We are all very proud of you and the RV!!!!!!! (The boys are growing up fast.)

Dewatson
David,

Really sorry we missed each other this year, but I remember the ride the boys took on the plane. I was over debriefing...or we were still out on the ramp telling each other lies (again) . Thanks much for the nice comments...and yes, they are growing up fast...not long before they have girlfriends riding on the wings with them!

Hope to see you next year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret View Post
I have pics of the RV BBQ, but, I just did the Ipad update and It made some major changes to YouTube and other apps, Ill try and work on it this weekend, also have vid clip of the RVs racing!
Just saw that clip Bret...that was really cool! Wish I had as big a lead on Pete in the Radial Rocket as Rick had on me...but it did make it kinda fun! Thanks for posting that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ettore View Post
Sorry for the (stupid) question, is that an RV6 (the red one) with F1 Rocket main gear legs?
Not a dumb question at all, and good eyes! They are titanium Harmon Rocket struts. A bit of added strength for the extra weight of the 540, and it raises the nose some for better prop clearance for the 80" Hartzell. This plane was the second Super Six built (to my knowledge), and it was also built with an 8" stretch to the fuselage, thicker skins, and beefed up structure. I have since added a few things, including an RV-8 Vertical Stab and Rudder, to add the counterbalanced rudder. Its been a great flying airplane...just like all RVs!

Cheers,
Bob
Georgetown, TX
President/Sport 49, Sport Class Air Racing
Trustee, Formation Flying Inc (FFI)
Old 09-22-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmills View Post
David,

Not a dumb question at all, and good eyes! They are titanium Harmon Rocket struts. A bit of added strength for the extra weight of the 540, and it raises the nose some for better prop clearance for the 80" Hartzell. This plane was the second Super Six built (to my knowledge), and it was also built with an 8" stretch to the fuselage, thicker skins, and beefed up structure. I have since added a few things, including an RV-8 Vertical Stab and Rudder, to add the counterbalanced rudder. Its been a great flying airplane...just like all RVs!

Cheers,
Bob
Bob, it sounds great!
She's really gorgeous with those long legs.

B737 driver.
RV-7 planned, to become real sooner or later.
Verona, northern Italy.