I had a good day today and had to post about it so I thought I might make the post more worthwhile by talking about some notable experiences of my last 50 hrs.
First, leading up to today I have been fighting with my avionics because they would not show LOC and GS. Last weekend I finally figured out what I had done wrong in the programming behind the scenes. This is GRT H1 WS wide screen and 430W. The instructions were clear, but the GRTs are very capable and as a result have MANY settings to get right. I missed turning on the 4 annunciators fed into aux 1 thru 4.
So, this afternoon I got a chance to start brushing up the IFR skills in my own plane for the first time. GRIN. I LIKE IT. I would call my system "simplified" since it is using RS232 and not ARINC. It won't do some things with autopilot but it is still WAY better than steam. I shot a localizer and an ILS at different airports. I'm rusty but it will come back quickly. My RV7 (and probably all others) is touchy in pitch. Altitude holding while hand flying will be the skill to regain.
I have round backup gages and realized that I had been using them nearly 100% instead of the glass while flying VFR. The hood practice helped me focus on the GRT. I noticed some helpful details (like the track indicator under the DG tape) today.
In other learnings, I wrote elsewhere about my leaky canopy. I have a tip up. I prosealed the rear window when I installed it, but the act of getting it installed messed up the sealant beads. It leaked badly. Since then I ran another bead on the exterior of the windor to seal it. Untested as of yet. (TESTED AND IT IS FINE 2013)
Here is a post about the front seal on my tipup that also leaked and my fix for it.
Front tup up canopy seal
I seriously doubt whether I will ever get the upper gear intersection fairings made and installed............
The first time I flew for an overnight, there were SO many things I forgot. Tiedown rings, control locks. Both safely tucked away in the hangar....
My HID landing lights do hiss in the Comm radios but not bad enough to change to LED.
I need to get the air valve doors onto my wheel pants. I am neglecting the tire pressure because of the neusance of removing the pants.
And I need to adjust my nose gear breakout. I can tell it has changed.
I noticed early on that my canopy would not lock like it did back in the basement factory. A few weekends ago I took a hard look and realized the "gap" between canopy and rear window was non existant. Some time with a file and sandpaper has this much improved but I'm at the 95% level and it needs a touch more work.
My static test passed with no problems. I did NOT use Vans cheezy static ports...kinda. I did use his rivet on the outside but I made and prosealed a flanged fitting such that I could have a 1/8 npt port for a hose fitting.
I learned that my Falcon altimeter purchase was a mistake (mechanical backup instrument). What a piece of ####! It did not pass cert. GRT passed with no adjustment.
Polishing aluminum is a PITA. Nuvite and Cyclo. I'm still working on it but polishing does not compete well with flying in the fun category....
Thats all for now!!